Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 12-26-2013, 07:39 AM   #1
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
[GUI Plugin] Prince PDF

This plugin converts a book to PDF using Prince (www.princexml.com). Prince can create PDF files with typographical quality, and supports some advanced features like real footnotes and floats, different page styles, etc.

This is the calibre plugin version of my previous script, which is available in two other versions:
  • Bash script version: here
  • Stand-alone GUI version: here

It is implemented as a GUI plugin rather than a conversion plugin because it may use some non-standard metadata and otherwise unused files, which are not available in normal conversion.

Only a few formats can be converted with this plugin, mainly EPUB, AZW3 and HTMLZ.

The resulting PDF can be added to the book record or saved to disk.

As with the other versions, this plugin will use, if it exists in the book, a special CSS file tagged in the metadata section of the OPF file as:

Code:
<meta name="prince-style" content="pdfoutput_css" />
where "pdfoutput_css" is the id of the CSS file in the manifest. A custom CSS file to be used with all conversions can also be configured.

So far, it has only been tested with ePub files and in Linux (and to some extent in Windows). If anyone tries it with other formats and/or in other platforms, please notify me of any issues.

Special Notes:

Translations:
Want to translate the plugin to another language? Use transifex.

Older versions
If you need an older version for compatibility with an older calibre, you can find previous versions in GitHub.

Version History:
Spoiler:
  • Version 1.6.0 (2023-04-08)
    Qt 6 update
    Should be compatible with calibre 6
  • Version 1.5.0 (2020-11-20)
    Python 3 update
    Should be compatible with calibre 5
  • Version 1.4.4 (2020-09-19)
    Fix saving in different filesystem from the temporary directory
    Update translations
  • Version 1.4.3 (2018-03-11)
    Fix resizing of configuration dialog under Windows (contribution from Raffaele Mancuso)
    Update translations
  • Version 1.4.2 (2017-05-13)
    Update translations (with those complete at the time: Portuguese, Ukrainian, Turkish, Estonian)
  • Version 1.4.1 (2017-03-18)
    Update translations (with those complete at the time, i.e., French)
  • Version 1.4.0 (2017-02-25)
    Add option for additional command-line arguments to Prince
    Fix "About" dialog (bumped up minimum calibre version)
    Make sure a single instance of the plugin is running
    Update translations: now including only those that were complete for the previous version
  • Version 1.3.0 (2014-09-13)
    Add possibility to use metadata in stylesheets
    Update translations
  • Version 1.2.2 (2014-08-30)
    Fix bug when selecting executable
    Add GPL license and notice
    Update translations
  • Version 1.2.1 (2014-08-23)
    Fix bug when reading previous configurations
    Add more translations
  • Version 1.2.0 (2014-08-17)
    Compatibility with calibre 2
    Support for multiple custom stylesheets
  • Version 1.1.3 (2014-04-08)
    Fix problem with icons in help message
  • Version 1.1.2 (2014-03-05)
    Refresh info when data changes
    More informative error message
    Fix typo in help text
    Add French translation
  • Version 1.1.1 (2013-12-29)
    Fix problem with books without formats
    Fix problem when switching libraries
  • Version 1.1.0 (2013-12-28)
    Add info text, and update with selection change
    Refresh main GUI after adding PDF
    Catch errors reading/writing PDF file
    Use -l option of Prince for passing a list of input files
    Add copyright in help text
    Fix missing icons
  • Version 1.0.0 (2013-12-26)
    Initial release
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snap1.png
Views:	2196
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	126935   Click image for larger version

Name:	snap2.png
Views:	2388
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	126936   Click image for larger version

Name:	snap3.png
Views:	2268
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	126937   Click image for larger version

Name:	snap4.png
Views:	2383
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	126938  
Attached Files
File Type: zip prince_pdf-1.6.0.zip (249.7 KB, 18295 views)

Last edited by Jellby; 04-08-2023 at 05:55 AM. Reason: Version 1.6.0
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:03 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
So far, it has only been tested with ePub files and in linux. If tries it with other formats and/or in other platforms, please notify me of any issues.
Happy to test, but it wont install on Calibre for Windows 64 bit - see attachment

BR
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	1917
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	117231  
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2013, 09:10 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Happy to test, but it wont install on Calibre for Windows 64 bit - see attachment
Sure, because I cannot say win or mac are supported without testing, and if they are not supported you cannot install...

I don't know if there's any other way to do it, but you may try downloading and installing the attachment in this post. (Edit: attachment removed, old version.)

Last edited by Jellby; 12-29-2013 at 03:43 AM.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:34 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

BR
BR
You may be able to do a Manual install Via Preferences:Plugins: Add Plugins (what you would also do for a beta version.

The Get PI tool reads/uses the Index here at MR
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sure, because I cannot say win or mac are supported without testing, and if they are not supported you cannot install...

I don't know if there's any other way to do it, but you may try downloading and installing the attachment in this post.
I've been able to install that one manually

Minor point, I think you should make it abundantly clear in the introductory post that the Prince software must be installed in order to use the plugin - my eyes went straight over the link to the princexml web site. And I've yet to see the window you posted as ss2.png

@thducks - I tried it both ways (I think), can't recall what the msg was when I did it manually, but words to the effect that 'this is For Linux Only'. I was able to manually install it on Mint - but right now my Mint box has a half life of < 5 minutes, so its NSFW. Maybe I should re-purpose it as a kitty kontainer :lol:

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-26-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Advert
Old 12-26-2013, 04:27 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

On first try using a book called "Test Epub" by "Test Author" - the Prince application started, but it did not appear to 'have' the current epub. So, I closed Prince and got following error

Code:
calibre, version 1.17.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>IOError</b>:[Errno 2] No such file or directory: u'C:\\_CalTemp\\calibre_dcvy4w\\tf2pn2_unpack\\Test Author\\Test Epub\\Test Epub - Test Author.pdf'

calibre 1.17 [64bit]  isfrozen: True is64bit: True
Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '7', '6.1.7601')
Python 2.7.5
Windows: ('7', '6.1.7601', 'SP1', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "calibre_plugins.prince_pdf.main", line 133, in convert_to_PDF
  File "calibre_plugins.prince_pdf.main", line 210, in set_pdf_metadata
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: u'C:\\_CalTemp\\calibre_dcvy4w\\tf2pn2_unpack\\Test Author\\Test Epub\\Test Epub - Test Author.pdf'
C:_CalTemp is what I have in the CALIBRE_TEMP_DIR env var

See attachment to see the what's in C:_CalTemp- I can zip it up and post if you're interested.

NB: I haven't used Prince until now, so I have no preconceived ideas or expectations of what it does or how it should work.

BR

ps : I found ss2.png - was hiding under the Help button
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	1552
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	117243  

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-26-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:28 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I've been able to install that one manually

Minor point, I think you should make it abundantly clear in the introductory post that the Prince software must be installed in order to use the plugin - my eyes went straight over the link to the princexml web site. And I've yet to see the window you posted as ss2.png

@thducks - I tried it both ways (I think), can't recall what the msg was when I did it manually, but words to the effect that 'this is For Linux Only'. I was able to manually install it on Mint - but right now my Mint box has a half life of < 5 minutes, so its NSFW. Maybe I should re-purpose it as a kitty kontainer :lol:

BR
Short duration computers runtime usually = bad fans. CPU , Graphics, chipset or in the PSU (I have lost count of how many of each have hit home. PSU is the most deadly, the PSU has taken out much of the rest in it's death throes)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:11 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Short duration computers runtime usually = bad fans. CPU , Graphics, chipset or in the PSU (I have lost count of how many of each have hit home. PSU is the most deadly, the PSU has taken out much of the rest in it's death throes)
Thanks - the h/w doesn't even get luke warm, but the software base I inherited when I got the box is an absolute mess, I need to rebuild from bare iron but can't find the motivation to do it. Previous owner now uses IOS on Apple - which is what I told him to get before he bought the HP with Mint.

BR
Old 12-27-2013, 04:01 AM   #9
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Minor point, I think you should make it abundantly clear in the introductory post that the Prince software must be installed in order to use the plugin - my eyes went straight over the link to the princexml web site.
You are right. I've modified the first post.

Quote:
On first try using a book called "Test Epub" by "Test Author" - the Prince application started, but it did not appear to 'have' the current epub. So, I closed Prince and got following error

Code:
calibre, version 1.17.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>IOError</b>:[Errno 2] No such file or directory: u'C:\\_CalTemp\\calibre_dcvy4w\\tf2pn2_unpack\\Test Author\\Test Epub\\Test Epub - Test Author.pdf'
I should add some additional error catching there.

But note that Prince is a command-line tool. Every window you see is the plugin (or calibre). When you say you closed Prince, I guess you mean you closed the conversion window (ss4.png). Anyway, when the process is cancelled (or it fails) there should be no further attempt to access the pdf file. Do you see a "View log" button in the main plugin window after this happens? If you do, please click it and post what it says.

Otherwise, I'm afraid I'd need a more detailed description on how to reproduce this, since I cannot see what could be going wrong at the moment.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:22 AM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Hi Jelby - I'll talk to the attachments

Capture 1
  • Select Robinson Crusoe
  • Click Prince PDF "button" in toolbar
  • Prince PDF dialogue pops - click Convert to PDF button
  • Convert to PDF with Prince dialogue pops - click Convert button
  • The Convert button I just clicked disappears, the 'working' gadget is shown with its blue back and forth indicator - And the main Prince program starts (it covers the 2 dialogue boxes which confused before)
  • I let it run for 50 minutes (a convert of same epub to pdf with calibre took < 1min)
  • If I hit the Cancel on the Convert to PDF with Prince dialogue I don't get an error message - that happens if I 'terminate' the Prince program

Capture 2

The odd thing is the two items shown for calibre - not only is that unusual, I cant see "Convert to PDF with Prince" in Task Manager's list of Processes, or in Process Explorer's list of Processes - the only place it is apparent is in the Taskbar and in Task Managers list of Applications. I can't recall seeing an an entry in Task Manager's Application list, that wasn't also in its Process list - quite odd, bizarre even.

You can also see the icon for Prince that was started by the plugin

BR
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	1668
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	117249   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.jpg
Views:	1503
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	117250  

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-27-2013 at 05:23 AM. Reason: put the images back - why does MR lose them ?
Old 12-27-2013, 06:20 AM   #11
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Ah... I think the problem is Prince is starting some GUI frontend that does not exist (as far as I know) in linux. The plugin should be calling a command-line interface, not a GUI. When I click the "Convert" button, I see the "working" progessbar, but nothing else; when the prince process ends, the "Convert to PDF with Prince" window is closed.

According to the Prince doc, the command-line should work in Windows too, can you configure the plugin and select the prince.exe executable as indicated there?

As for the two taskbar items, I have no idea why that happens, The "Convert to PDF with Prince" dialog is just a plain QDialog widget.

What I don't like from your screenshots is that the plugin icon is missing (from its main window and the calibre toolbar), and the window titlebars are all wrong. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, or maybe that's a common problem with PyQt in Windows...

Last edited by Jellby; 12-27-2013 at 06:23 AM.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:51 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Aaah that's better

Assuming Prince is installed in the default location, the cli program will be at

64bit Windows ==>> "C:\Program Files (x86)\Prince\Engine\bin\prince.exe"
32bit Windows ==>> "C:\Program Files\Prince\Engine\bin\prince.exe"

The conversion works - a PDF is produced in the right place and the database is updated to 'say so' and I can open the book (in my PDF reader) via the View feature in calibre

However, when the update is finished the Formats 'column' in Book Details doesn't show a PDF. The Book Details panel probably needs to be refreshed, if I make another book current and return to book just converted the PDF is shown.

I'm not bothered by the missing icons - but other PI's have their icons in the their images folder, that folder is empty in the Prince PDF.zip.

I'm still seeing the aberrant second item in my taskbar. I've got a heavily tweaked taskbar so when I've done my morning chores I'll turn the tweaks off and have another look. It's most unlikely that the tweaks are the cause the of the aberration, but their lack may make it easier to diagnose.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-27-2013 at 03:02 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 12-27-2013, 04:53 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Thumbs up

Hi Jelby,

The aberration is another instance of the calibre process - sort of

I get exactly the same with my mail client. when I hit the reply button it opens a Reply window that shows as another item in the taskbar, which gets grouped (that's a Windows setting not a 3rd party tweak) with the main icon. And the Reply window shows as a separate Application, but not as a separate Process.

So I'm assuming the 'aberrant' taskbar icon represents the prince.exe program

I'm OK with it now, but it may 'disturb' other Windows users - on the other hand they may not even notice it

So... bottom line is that it's ready to go in Windows (icons aside). I wont be doing any quality checking of the output PDF - just thought I'd help by doing some basic 'does it work' tests.

Cheers BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-27-2013 at 06:08 PM. Reason: grammar said to
Old 12-28-2013, 07:34 AM   #14
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Thanks for the tests. I've updated the plugin to fix some of the problems.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:40 PM   #15
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Thumbs up

Quote:
Thanks for the tests. I've updated the plugin to fix some of the problems.
Perfect

I got the standard notification of new version for an installed plugin,
I now have the icons
I see the PDF in Book Details
BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-29-2013 at 01:06 AM.