Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-15-2021, 08:12 AM   #61
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
And needlessly complicate the reader, and make customer service harder.

Android has its place, a dedicated reader isn’t it
Yes. Having the Android based Mars shows it. The dedicated ereaders have better battery life and are less complicated. There is a niche market for an eink mostly ereader with the Playstore. But most people want simpler.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 10:09 AM   #62
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
It's a known bug. Not the ebook. I was able to reproduce it. It's not really the dictionary, it's just the reader can freeze on a dictionary lookup. Some people claim to have fixed it by re-partitioning the internal storage. I took mine back and was able to demo it on multiple books that are OK on the PRS350, Nook Simple Touch, Binatone, and 3 models of Kobo and passed Calibre checks, so the shop refunded me.
Note, it's not directly because it's a Sony Android. The T2 is OK.
One thing I didn't do with my T1 was update it to the latest firmware because of the version of the modified reading software. So maybe the bug was in a later or earlier firmware version. I just don't know as I've never seen the bug. My mother who also has a T1 on the same firmware did not have the bug.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2021, 10:59 AM   #63
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One thing I didn't do with my T1 was update it to the latest firmware because of the version of the modified reading software. So maybe the bug was in a later or earlier firmware version. I just don't know as I've never seen the bug. My mother who also has a T1 on the same firmware did not have the bug.
I did whatever updates were available on my T1 and mine did have the dictionary lookup freeze problem. Eventually the T1 also stopped working with the Overdrive library so I ditched it for a T3, which also eventually stopped working with Overdrive.... but I didn't experience other problems with the T3.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 11:05 AM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I did whatever updates were available on my T1 and mine did have the dictionary lookup freeze problem. Eventually the T1 also stopped working with the Overdrive library so I ditched it for a T3, which also eventually stopped working with Overdrive.... but I didn't experience other problems with the T3.
The reason the T series stopped working with Overdrive is that Overdrive changed their software and Sony did not keep up.
Old 09-15-2021, 11:45 AM   #65
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The reason the T series stopped working with Overdrive is that Overdrive changed their software and Sony did not keep up.
Yes, nothing to do with bugs.
Advert
Old 09-16-2021, 06:14 PM   #66
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, nothing to do with bugs.
Yes, I know that. I just mentioned it as the actual reason I stopped using the T1. The dictionary lockup bug alone had not made me stop using the T1.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 10:11 AM   #67
wroane
Enthusiast
wroane began at the beginning.

Device: First 3 Kindles, H2O, Last 3 years Kobo Aura One
A 9" reader with Bluetooth and enough memory to add audio. I still love and use my AuraOne and the only thing missing is audio and audiobooks. I'm not partial to buttons on my reader.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
wroane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 02:56 PM   #68
Incanus
Incanus
Incanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litter

Device: Boyue Likebook T80D
Quote:
Yes. Having the Android based Mars shows it. The dedicated ereaders have better battery life and are less complicated. There is a niche market for an eink mostly ereader with the Playstore. But most people want simpler.
Except for a large library and/or custom metadata (beyond author, title, series) management.

An Android based e-ink tablet allows you greater flexibility for e-book management and reading.

I should know: I currently own a Likebook Mars, previously a Kobo Aura (2013) and first a Barnes&Noble nook simple touch.

The Mars' battery is the catch, though: 2 weeks (tops) with 30min daily reading.

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk
Incanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 03:24 PM   #69
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incanus View Post
Except for a large library and/or custom metadata (beyond author, title, series) management.
Calibre is for that and does a much better job than any Android app.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 03:39 PM   #70
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incanus View Post
An Android based e-ink tablet allows you greater flexibility for e-book management and reading.

I should know: I currently own a Likebook Mars, previously a Kobo Aura (2013) and first a Barnes&Noble nook simple touch.
I have a Likebook mars, A Kobo Aura HD H2O original, three kindles inc PW3, Kobo Libra. I did have Nook and Kobo Touch. I have a Sony PRS350.

The advantage of the Likebook Mars is the 7.8" @300 dpi screen, auto crop on the PDF, and being able to simply add KoReader, Kindle App, Kobo App, Google App and my local Library app.

But for Collections and Series and title search it's abysmal. The Kobos are better than the Kindles. So is the ancient Sony PRS350 because Calibre can create collections on it. Even the PRS350 is easier to find books on than the Mars.

The Libra is by far the best ereader I have for real ebooks and the Kobo Aura HD H2O original is second best (not quite as good size and resolution screen and IR touch is poorer than capacitive, though it means screen is a little whiter).

I only use the Mars now for PDFs and the local Library. Occasionally poor formatted epubs I've not fixed in Calibre as KOReader lets you override more.
Old 09-22-2021, 08:19 PM   #71
crimson
In Cyberspace
crimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
I have a Kobo Aura One and I am not consider replacing it at any time soon, but I wish it had a microSD slot. My ideal ereader would be one with at least 16GB storage, preferably with a microSD slot, and a USB-C port.
crimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 08:53 AM   #72
Incanus
Incanus
Incanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litter

Device: Boyue Likebook T80D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Calibre is for that and does a much better job than any Android app.
Indeed.

I use:

* Calibre Companion for library management (many options to sync/download from PC/cloud) and
* KOReader for reading

and I have it all, as far as I'm concerned, for reading enjoyment on my Likebook Mars: it also has an SDCard reader for expanded storage.

The battery remains the only caveat, I daresay.

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk
Incanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 01:50 PM   #73
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
There is a possibility that all new Kobo devices (and other e-reader manufacturers) will have a UCB-C connector.

https://twitter.com/EU_Commission/st...96773653323782
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 01:55 PM   #74
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

That's a Twitter link. The EU has a real website.
Here https://ec.europa.eu/commission/pres.../en/ip_21_4613

It's a proposal. And because the industry has come up with the stupid USB-C design it will be USB-C on everything, within two years of agreeing it and the 27 Nations signing it to local laws.

Famously Apple ignored the previous voluntary micro USB in favour of the Lightning connector.

Also on ALL Apple USB-A cable ends for the charger Apple used their own standard to set the charging current, which meant the Apple device would charge very slowly on non-Apple host ports and chargers.

Last edited by Quoth; 09-23-2021 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Apple.
Old 09-23-2021, 02:19 PM   #75
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
There is a possibility that all new Kobo devices (and other e-reader manufacturers) will have a UCB-C connector.

https://twitter.com/EU_Commission/st...96773653323782
Would that not be a UCB-S connector?