Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Is it OK to use an elibrary card to which you’re not entitled by residence or fee?
It’s wrong and I don’t do it. 33 71.74%
It’s not wrong but I don’t do it. 7 15.22%
It’s wrong but I do it anyway. 1 2.17%
It’s not wrong and I do it. 3 6.52%
I’ve kept using old cards after a move until they expire. 3 6.52%
I have a friend or family member get me a card. 2 4.35%
I use a VPN to make it look as if I’m a resident. 1 2.17%
Other dodgy practice. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-14-2022, 07:04 AM   #46
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I would guess that there are other "taxes" that also help fund libraries.
Every town can be different, but most of the local revenue for Philadelphia and Pittsburgh is NOT from property taxes. And a lot of library revenue comes from state funds that aren’t property tax related.

It used to be that fines might make up a good chunk of public library revenue, but this obviously disappears with eBooks, and some libraries are forgiving fines.

In my township, there is no local income tax, and no local sales tax, so library revenue is very property tax dependent. That combination is unusual for my state but apparently common elsewhere in the U.S.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 07:54 PM   #47
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
I have four library cards.
One I pay as a non-resident.
Two I have as a resident which I access from across state lines.
One I have by merit of not being in Germany. (Goethe Institut)
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 01:06 PM   #48
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
Every town can be different, but most of the local revenue for Philadelphia and Pittsburgh is NOT from property taxes. And a lot of library revenue comes from state funds that aren’t property tax related.
It's difficult figuring out how the library system is funded in any area, but the real estate taxes (yes, multiple taxes) in Pittsburgh are high and so is the sales tax. We pay plenty in PA. Pennsylvania is one of a handful of states that do not tax Social Security or pension benefits, on the state income tax form, so this does work out for us. For accounting purposes, there is no free lunch in any state, and they have many ways to grab money from your wallet. One little known tidbit of information is that you cannot register a car in PA, without a PA driver's license, which implies you are a resident. In the battle between citizens and the government, the gubmint nearly always wins.

Last edited by Fat Abe; 10-07-2022 at 01:11 PM.
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 01:21 PM   #49
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
The poll is old and closed, but I'm replying anyway:
In my country (Sweden) you do not have to be a local resident to get a library card. You do however in most cases have to show up in person to have your application approved and the library account activated. Therefor I have a card for the region closest to me apart from my own because they have a much better selection of ebooks and "my" region only allows one ebook/week. I might get another one at another region I visit every summer. I'm not sure if this is in anyway "morally wrong", but I don't think so since I've asked if residence is a requirement and was told "No".
One of my US friends lets me log on to her library and on very rare occasions I do since I prefer reading the original language if possible and sometimes (but not very often) her library has the book I want. I would very much prefer to have my own "legal" account like back when Philly allowed non-residents to sign up for a small fee (if I remember correctly - it was many years ago!). But to be honest, I haven't done much about it since I've had plenty to read anyway. (Actually, I found a Swedish library with a decent selection of German ebooks and my German definitely needs improving so I kind of focus on that now. I should look into Spanish as well, but my brain might overheat...)

Last edited by Asawi; 02-18-2023 at 01:23 PM.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 01:32 PM   #50
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
... "my" region only allows one ebook/week.
So what do you read the other six days of the week?
Old 02-18-2023, 02:01 PM   #51
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
So what do you read the other six days of the week?
Hence my other library card(s)!
At least there aren't waiting lists for ebooks, so if the libray has my next planned read I can check it out at any time. But I assure you, there have been many times when I've been sitting, checking my watch to check out my book 7 days + 1 minute after the previous!

(And those German books I try to read... They each take a looong time! Slow reading, many look-ups.)

Last edited by Asawi; 02-18-2023 at 02:04 PM.
Old 02-18-2023, 02:09 PM   #52
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
(And those German books I try to read... They each take a looong time! Slow reading, many look-ups.)
I'm not sure if I ever read "War and Peace" but I'm 450 pages into "Krieg und Frieden".
Old 02-18-2023, 02:28 PM   #53
Asawi
Gadgetoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
I'm not sure if I ever read "War and Peace" but I'm 450 pages into "Krieg und Frieden".
OMG! That would take a long time in any language!