Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-22-2011, 04:03 PM   #16
jaxsnop
Enthusiast
jaxsnop began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
Now there's a possibility to switch multiple voice packs:

Should you need to switch more than two voices, install launchpad and copy provided usertts.ini file to *launchpad* directory.
Then copy the second voice pack to *usertts/data2*, the third one to *usertts/data3* etc. You can have up to five voice packs.
Reload launchpad (SHIFT SHIFT SPACE) and then you can switch the voice packs with these shortcuts:
  1. SHIFT T Q - *usertts/data*
  2. SHIFT T W - *usertts/data2*
  3. SHIFT T E - *usertts/data3*
  4. SHIFT T R - *usertts/data4*
  5. SHIFT T T - *usertts/data5*
When I try to activate the others ussertts, launchpad shows the success message but into the text I use shift + sym to initialize the TTS but never begin. It's always "thinking-circle".
jaxsnop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 08:06 PM   #17
DonalDuck
The Changer
DonalDuck has learned how to read e-booksDonalDuck has learned how to read e-booksDonalDuck has learned how to read e-booksDonalDuck has learned how to read e-booksDonalDuck has learned how to read e-booksDonalDuck has learned how to read e-booksDonalDuck has learned how to read e-books

Device: None
can you get the old tts voices?

Thanks,
DD
DonalDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2011, 02:54 AM   #18
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxsnop View Post
When I try to activate the others ussertts, launchpad shows the success message but into the text I use shift + sym to initialize the TTS but never begin. It's always "thinking-circle".
The TTS subsystem needs some time to reinitialize after switching, if it doesn't start reading give it few more seconds and then try to press shift+sym again.
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:03 AM   #19
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonalDuck View Post
can you get the old tts voices?
You can rename the usertts folder and reboot your Kindle.
If you need to switch to the original voices frequently, use the attached usertts.ini file in Launchpad. In addition to the original five shortcuts I've added a new one for switching to the original voices (Tom & Samantha).
  • SHIFT T O - Use original built-in voice data
Attached Files
File Type: zip usertts.ini.zip (336 Bytes, 474 views)

Last edited by dsmid; 10-24-2011 at 03:09 AM.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:08 PM   #20
gabao
gabao began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
not working here, i downloaded the mod and copy the folder usertts to my kindle root

after i also copy the update_usertts_3r3_k3w_install.bin (B008 here) to root, eject and update, until here is all fine but how i install the portuguese pack?

i downloaded the kindle-voice-pt_BR-raquel.src.zip and extract to the folder root/usertts/data it's correct to do this or i need to extract these files to other place?

when i restart my kindle and try to run speech-to-text (shift+sym) the kindle frezze and just works again whit hard reset

anyone can help me?

thanks in advance and sorry for the bad english

Last edited by gabao; 11-02-2011 at 09:11 PM.
gabao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2011, 02:58 AM   #21
dsmid
Linux devotee

Hi gabao,

The voice files (kindle-voice-*locale*-*name*.src.zip) are not intended to be copied into usertts/data/ folder .
There you should put a voice pack - preprepared combination of two voices ("male" and "female").
As there's no voice pack containing Raquel available for download yet, you'll have to make your own:
create two subfolders in usertts/ - usertts/male/ and usertts/female/.
Unpack a voice file of your choice into usertts/male/ and another voice file (probably Raquel) into usertts/female/. Then reboot your Kindle and usertts will create a voice pack for you in usertts/data/ folder (I recommend deleting its contents before rebooting).

If it's too complicated, just tell me which two voices do you want to use and I'll make a voice pack for you.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:08 AM   #22
gabao

Thanks so much for your help dsmid, now works fine
Old 11-03-2011, 11:06 AM   #23
gabao

I made a little Tutorial for portuguese speakers:

http://nodevac.com/?p=735

thanks again dsmid

ps* how i can switch into male/female voices?
Old 11-03-2011, 04:51 PM   #24
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
First, press the Aa key and turn "Text to speech" ON Then, press Aa to select "male" or " female" voice.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:33 AM   #25
gabao

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoP View Post
First, press the Aa key and turn "Text to speech" ON Then, press Aa to select "male" or " female" voice.
, lame question that I did
I did not check the menu before only keyboard shortcuts
Old 11-04-2011, 11:03 AM   #26
MFC
MFC began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Kindle 2 and custom voices

Hi dismid,

I have a Kindle 2 (software version 2.5.6).

But the following tutorial only mentioned kindle 3 files. Is there kindle 2 files to custom voices on Kindle?

Thanks.

MFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
This is an attempt to both standardize and simplify the installation of custom TTS voices on Kindle.

As of now, the installation of custom TTS voices is tricky and requires launchpad or usbnetwork.
It would be nice to install the voices as easily as any other hack.
However, it cannot be achieved by putting them into a single .bin update file, that would make the installation process very long, error prone and potentially dangerous.

I've made a simple hack that makes the voice pack installation easy - it's called usertts.

The voicepack should be installed by simple copying to the Kindle root directory (speaking about user store here). The usertts hack then takes care of the rest.

To make the installation even more simple, I propose the following voice pack structure:

Code:
usertts/
                  install/
                                update_usertts_*_(un)install.bin
                  data/
                                depes_enu_cfg1.dat
                                depes_enu_cfg3.dat

install-voicepack.txt
                  install-voicepack.*.txt  (translation to other languages)
You can get the idea by downloading an empty sample voice pack - kindle-voicepack-sample.zip

You can also download few voice packs (Czech Zuzana + British Daniel, Slovak Laura + British Daniel, ...) and voices (can be used by usertts to create custom voicepacks) here: http://ge.tt/8HHrZe8
On the same page you can download the usertts hack source and installation packages (normally part of the voice pack).

************** install-voicepack.txt contents ****************

Make sure you have already jailbroken your Kindle.
In case you've installed jailbreak version <= 0.9N from NiLuJe to achieve that, add update_usertts to the whitelist at *linkjail/etc/whitelist*.
First, unpack the downloaded voice pack contents. The voice pack contains a usertts directory.
Copy the usertts directory to the root directory of your Kindle. The usertts directory should contain an *install* subdirectory with a bunch of .bin files.
Copy the correct *update_usertts_3r3_*_install.bin* file for your Kindle to the root directory of your Kindle.
(As always, k3g means K3 3G (US [serial number starts with B006]), k3w means K3 WiFi [B008] and k3gb means K3 3G (UK [B00A]).
For a Kindle 3 WiFi, that would be *update_usertts_3r3_k3w_install.bin* for example.
Now, eject your Kindle, and go to *[HOME] -> [MENU] > Settings -> [MENU] > Update Your Kindle*. It should be quick.

The usertts hack forces your Kindle to use *[user store]/usertts/data* directory instead of the built-in voice pack
if, and only if, the directory is present when the Kindle is starting up.
Once installed, it is easy to change the voice pack - just copy its contents to your Kindle and reboot it.
No need to reinstall the usertts hack.

The usertts hack uses "mount --bind" on Kindle OS boot to mount *[user store]/usertts/data* directory to */usr/share/nuance/data* directory in order to effectively replace the target directory contents with the source while not touching anything on the flash storage.
Thus the mount effects are not permanent and this method isn't supposed to break your Kindle firmware.

MAKING YOUR OWN VOICE PACK

From version 3r2, usertts has a feature that lets you mix your own voice pack.
First, select and download two voice sources of your choice, e.g. kindle-voice-en_GB-daniel.src.zip and kindle-voice-cs-zuzana.src.zip .
Create subdirectories *usertts/male/* and *usertts/female/* in your Kindle.
Then extract the first voice zip contents to *usertts/male/* and the second voice zip contents to *usertts/female/* - or vice versa
(the voice copied to the male subdir will be refered to as "Male" in Kindle GUI while the voice copied to the female subdir will be refered to as "Female" in Kindle GUI)
Then just eject and restart your Kindle, after reboot both *male* and *female* subdirs will disappear and you'll get a new *data* subdir instead containing your voice pack data.
Kindle will be using this new voice pack for TTS immediately.

Should you need to switch more than two voices, install launchpad and copy provided usertts.ini file to *launchpad* directory.
Then copy the second voice pack to *usertts/data2*, the third one to *usertts/data3* etc. You can have up to five voice packs.
Reload launchpad (SHIFT SHIFT SPACE) and then you can switch the voice packs with these shortcuts:

SHIFT T Q - *usertts/data*
SHIFT T W - *usertts/data2*
SHIFT T E - *usertts/data3*
SHIFT T R - *usertts/data4*
SHIFT T T - *usertts/data5*

MFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:29 AM   #27
dsmid
Linux devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFC View Post
But the following tutorial only mentioned kindle 3 files. Is there kindle 2 files to custom voices on Kindle?

No idea. I don't have any experience with Kindle 2.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:48 PM   #28
vvooffkk
vvooffkk began at the beginning.

Device: amazon kindle 3
Thank you Dsmid!!!
Everything works fine!!!
vvooffkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:49 PM   #29
seaniko7
wannabe developer
seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle: 2xKeyboard, Classic, 2xTouch, 2xPW, PW2; Onyx: Boox M92
I have been digging in my iPhone 4 and what I found is this :

These files are located in : /private/var/mobile/Library/VoiceServices/Assets/*language-code*/

Yup, the FULL versions are used in iPhones and iPads.

Obviously you can't really obtain them from decrypted ipsw image. This one contains only support files, which can improve TTS experience. ATM I found new version of Agata voice better than GPS-based one. I haven't used support files like dictionary and new config files yet.

Cheers

Last edited by seaniko7; 11-23-2011 at 03:11 PM.
seaniko7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:44 PM   #30
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
So I just got my kindle touch and to my surprise, amazon has placed the tts files on the USB partition. Anyone want to check if this works on the touch? I'm a bit lazy.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote