Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-29-2019, 11:24 AM   #1
anarcat
Connoisseur
anarcat began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Onyx Boox Note Pro 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Pixel 4a
new dasung e-reader/tablet

Did people see the new stuff Dasung has annnounced?

This looks amazing: a small tablet-like e-ink screen running Android. It can be used as an external display for a laptop or phone, but can also be used as an e-reader standalone. It's not cheap, but it's not totally crazy either. Sold for 369$USD right now, a rebate from the 500$USD retail price. Specs are:
  • Quad core processor with 2GB RAM
  • 64GB internal storage, MicroSD/TF (internal?) expansion slot
  • 7.8" screen, 300dpi (1872x1404)
  • Android 6 (!)
  • mini-HDMI port
  • 5300mA battery
  • front light (blue or warm?)
  • bluetooth, wifi
  • 2 speakers, 3.5mm headphone jack and microphone
  • ebook support (PDF, EPUB, TXT, MOBI, JPG, PNG, etc)
  • USB-C
  • volume/power buttons

They posted a video of a video playing on the "not-ereader" and while there's a lot of ghosting, the refresh rate is still pretty impressive.

Dasung first published the 'first HDMI 13" e-ink monitor' a few years back, which was reviewed here. But it's the first time they venture more towards the tablet/e-reader world, so this is going to be interesting.

Note that they also updated that "screen" with an updated version that supports backlighting, touch interaction and an HD resolution, with prices ranging from 700 to 1000$USD.

I wonder how good all that stuff actually is...

I also wonder if they provide the source code for that Android stuff... I suspect all this is heavily proprietary, unfortunately.

Last edited by anarcat; 04-29-2019 at 11:32 AM.
anarcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 12:18 PM   #2
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
No weight spec? Looks like it weighs quite a bit.
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 02:20 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by harriska2 View Post
No weight spec? Looks like it weighs quite a bit.
I was interested in the weight as well so looked at the battery and the lightest 3.7V 5300mAh battery I found was 280g. By comparison, a Kobo Forma weighs in at 197g with a 1200mAh battery.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:18 PM   #4
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
Where's Dasung's 13.3" which was promised year ago?
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 11:30 PM   #5
azayn
Groupie
azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nova 3, Galaxy S22+, iPad
This is the one e-Ink device I'm most intrigued about. I've long wished for the ability to use an e-Ink display for writing and reading articles/online content.

It shows promise, but I'm not willing to drop $500 on an unknown commodity from an obscure Chinese company. Need to see some reviews first before I can consider it.
azayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:29 AM   #6
anarcat
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgdas View Post
Where's Dasung's 13.3" which was promised year ago?
You mean this one?
Old 05-01-2019, 12:31 AM   #7
anarcat
Connoisseur

Note: this ad from Dasung shows interactions with the device, and it seems there's visible lag that's not obvious in the video I pasted earlier:

Old 09-23-2019, 10:14 AM   #8
justloveebooks
Enthusiast
justloveebooks began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino Vision 6, Kindle Voyage 2x,Sony PRS-T1 rooted,Sony Prs-505
Indigogo Dasung was delivered today to me (Germany, Hamburg Sept. 23d 2019).
WiFi with FritzBox 7690 does not work, WPS or manually inserting password gets saved Fritzbox sees Dasung, but no IP Adress is assigned and WiFi Symbol on the Dasung shows an exclamation mark.
Works with an iPhone configured as a hotspot.

Used Kindle included on the Dasung with my Amazon account and downloaded a book I am currently reading with Kindle Unlimited (free 3-month trial), worked, but did not sync the place where I was, as I guessed that might happen, was reading till chapter end.
Would have been nice, if that worked, though.

Weight:
Dasung 337 g / 11.90 oz
Tolino epos 264 g / 9.30 oz
Voyage 177 g / 6.25 oz
all without cover.
The screen from the Tolino is imho the same size as the Dasung screen.
The Dasung has 64 GB Memory, just under 800 MB used and can take a memory card (not sure what max. size, though). The slot for this is outside, small side below, not internal.

As there are several other openings, the mini-HDMI-port (adapter cable included) and a headphone jack, it is not waterproof, imho (also never claimed to be, so no surprise there).

Not tested anything else so far. Should (!) work as a monitor for a computer with HDMI and also connect to an iPhone or Android with additional software installed on the phone (not sure what displays what then, though, it read like the phone displays the eInk screen, which is a weird use in my view).
justloveebooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 02:15 PM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by justloveebooks View Post
Weight:
Dasung 337 g / 11.90 oz
Tolino epos 264 g / 9.30 oz
Voyage 177 g / 6.25 oz
all without cover.
The screen from the Tolino is imho the same size as the Dasung screen.
The Dasung has 64 GB Memory, just under 800 MB used and can take a memory card (not sure what max. size, though). The slot for this is outside, small side below, not internal.
How does the screen compare to the Tolino Epos? I see in the video (original one posted) that the screen is supposed to be warm and cold, but I didn't see it turned to "warm" at all.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dasung, dasung not-ereader, dasung paperlike, eink, tablet