Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-14-2010, 06:57 PM   #1
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Dreadful fonts in some Amazon books

I have used NiLuJe's font hack but in one book the font remains the same. Have never noticed this before but do some publishers produce books where their chosen font remains regardless of the default or font hack? It is the story of Karen Carpenter and I simply am finding it too hard to read unless I magnify the font hugely, and which I prefer not to do.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:10 PM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Sounds like you've just run into the dreaded Topaz format.

It is possible to convert it to more conventional Mobi, but it's kind of a hassle. However, it may be worth it in your case since you're finding it unreadable as-is.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2010, 07:16 PM   #3
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
It's probably in the universally despised Topaz format. You can supposedly tell which books are in topaz format by the fact that they list "Print Length" but not "File Size" in the product details.

Thankfully topaz book aren't that common.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:19 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
As ATDrake says, it must be a TOPAZ ebook. These all include an embedded font, often generated from scans of the printed version of the same book. In rare cases the fonts are an improvement over the default fonts you always get with an AZW ebook, but usually they are terrible.

A TOPAZ ebook may have the filename extension .tpz or .azw1. Also, the Kindle Store web page for the ebook will not list a filesize in Product Details:
Quote:
Product Details
* Format: Kindle Edition
* Print Length: 560 pages
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:33 PM   #5
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yep. Got that in one. It is tpz. I know there are ways round that but having done the k4pc thing the tpz seems to have defeated me.

I might contact cs and tell them the format sucks. At least I might get my money back. Kinda sucks when the book you want to read is in this format.
Advert
Old 08-14-2010, 09:49 PM   #6
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
It is indeed a Topaz-formatted book. Coincidentally, I was perusing the same title today and discovered this when I downloaded a sample.

I have converted one topaz book with success (resulting in the "normal" format) but it requires a little extra effort.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:21 PM   #7
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
It's probably in the universally despised Topaz format. You can supposedly tell which books are in topaz format by the fact that they list "Print Length" but not "File Size" in the product details.

Thankfully topaz book aren't that common.
I was just looking at a book I have that is a dreadful Topaz copy and it lists both Print Length and File Size in the product details.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:39 PM   #8
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Did they perhaps re-release a mobi version? I've seen that happen more than a few times.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:52 PM   #9
Pushka
Wizard

So I sent an email to amazon stating that the font was dreadful and I had to up the font size in order to read it, and didn't want to drain the battery too quickly. Plus I hate reading font too large anyway. So they sent me back an email ignoring the horrible font issue, but told me how to charge the battery. Sigh. They don't read the emails but simply do a search for a common word and dump their spiel about that. Needless to say they will get the "did not answer my question " response.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:16 PM   #10
runtmms
Connoisseur
runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle Fire HD 8.9, Google Nexus 4
I have a K3 ordered but don't want to buy any books for fear of getting the dreaded topaz format. I know I can check samples on the Kindle once I have it... Is there a way to tell from the K4PC samples if it is Topaz?

Thanks,

-M
runtmms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:19 PM   #11
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
Did they perhaps re-release a mobi version? I've seen that happen more than a few times.
That's what I had been hoping for but I deleted it and downloaded again and it was still .tpz.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:25 PM   #12
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
So I sent an email to amazon stating that the font was dreadful and I had to up the font size in order to read it, and didn't want to drain the battery too quickly. Plus I hate reading font too large anyway. So they sent me back an email ignoring the horrible font issue, but told me how to charge the battery. Sigh. They don't read the emails but simply do a search for a common word and dump their spiel about that. Needless to say they will get the "did not answer my question " response.
Can't help you with your issue, but I just wanted to point out that the automated response that doesn't answer the initial question is a very common problem with user "support". In many cases, a polite reply saying more or less "thank you for your answer, but this doesn't solve my problem (repeat original question here)" will get you a human answer (good or bad). I don't know how good or bad Amazon support is, but I've had good result with this strategy with other companies. Except Microsoft, who kept sending me the same canned reply over and over again :rolleyes;
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:09 PM   #13
nimblem
Addict
nimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the rough

Device: Pocket Pro, Kindle Dx
Does using a font hack void the warranty?
nimblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:41 PM   #14
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
That's what I had been hoping for but I deleted it and downloaded again and it was still .tpz.
Deleting and re-downloading won't fix it though, I think you need to have Amazon refund your money and buy the new one. Does the one that shows both pages and file size (theoretically not Topaz) also show that you've already purchased it?
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:43 PM   #15
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Topaz may be dreadful, but Amazon does need to have a solution for embedded fonts that brings it up to par with ePub. If Topaz ain't it, they need to extend mobi (ideally by copying what ePub does).

As it is, mobi format can only use one typeface (well, two if you count the fixed-pitch font that's used for computer code, etc). That's pretty limited. I don't know how frequently embedded fonts appear in ePub, or which readers actually support them, but at least it is supported by the standard and there are tools that support it.

Maybe it is just my good luck, but all of the more recently published books I have sampled or purchased seem to all be mobi format. I might try a survey/sample of the most recent books added vs. older ones to see if it is some sort of trend.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote