Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-17-2024, 09:24 PM   #1
FacetiousKnave
Unconscionable
FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle
EPUB constantly rejected by Amazon

So, I have a 20 mb EPUB that can be opened with Calibre, Sigil, and iBooks without any problem.

However, when I send it to my Kindle via the 'Send to Kindle' website, there is always an error in the internal Amazon conversion process.

I have tried converting the book with Calibre in multiple ocasions: from EPUB to MOBI, and then from MOBI to EPUB, etc, but the result is always the same: Amazon rejects the book.

To identify the error, I attempted to open the file with Kindle Previewer 3 and received the following message:

Code:
Type,"Description"
Error,"E24010: Hyperlink not resolved in toc (One possible reason can be that the link points to a tag with style display:none):/private/var/folders/0m/twgjxfd14n314ytm3p03x0fm0000gn/T/56cbc7d0-1984-467f-8e94-ef4b03ab3400/cTemp/mTemp/mobi-h40ikQ/OEBPS/xhtml/01_TitlePage.html#","","","",""
Error,"E24001: The table of contents could not be built.","","","",""
Status,"Book conversion failed."
Can anyone explain what I should modify exactly so that Amazon can convert the EPUB properly?
FacetiousKnave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 09:43 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Convert to azw3 in calibre and send to your kindle via usb, no sense in fighting amazon.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2024, 10:01 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by FacetiousKnave View Post
So, I have a 20 mb EPUB that can be opened with Calibre, Sigil, and iBooks without any problem.
When you open the ePub in Sigil or calibre's e-book editor and run epubcheck on it, do you receive any error messages?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 10:05 PM   #4
FacetiousKnave
Unconscionable
FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

It's just so weird.

I ran a bug scan with Calibre and it fixed the issue. Then Amazon rejected the file.

I rewrote the entire TOC with Sigil. Then Amazon rejected the file.

Kindle Previewer is already able to open it, yet Amazon rejects the file!

I'll have to use the USB method as you suggest.
Old 01-17-2024, 10:10 PM   #5
FacetiousKnave
Unconscionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
When you open the ePub in Sigil or calibre's e-book editor and run epubcheck on it, do you receive any error messages?
When I initially opened the file with Sigil it said there was an issue

Quote:
This EPUB has HTML files that are not well
formed or are missing a DOCTYPE,html,
head or body elements.Sigil can
automatically fix these files, although this
may very rarely result in minor data loss in
extreme circumstances.
Do you want to automatically fix the files?
Now, the thing is, this happens with virtually every single book I convert with Calibre, and yet these books can be sent to Amazon Kindle without any issue. Only in very rare cases such as this Amazon refuses to convert a particular ebook.

Additionally, even after Sigil ran the bug check and fixed whatever it found, Amazon still cannot convert the epub.
Advert
Old 01-17-2024, 10:19 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That is mostly since Kovid does not like adding the .DOCTYPE for unknown reasons and the cover generation/insertion routine does not add the required lines for an ePub 2 file. The first code block is what calibre uses, the second code block is what Sigil modifies it to for ePub 2 and the third block is Sigil modifies it to for ePub 3. For me, it's not worth the time and effort to argue about this, I just use Sigil to modify the code.

Code:
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en">
    <head>
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">

<head>
Code:
<!DOCTYPE html>

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" xmlns:epub="http://www.idpf.org/2007/ops">
<head>
The other item is if you should be using epubcheck not the built in checker in both Sigil and calibre. If an ePub passes epubcheck, most publishers will accept it otherwise they tend to bounce for any reported error.

Last edited by DNSB; 01-17-2024 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-17-2024, 10:20 PM   #7
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Sigil differs from Calibre in its interpretation of the epub3 spec about the need for doctype tags, especially for epub2 epubs that use named entities. Calibre interprets the spec differently saying these are optional.

But having a proper doctype can not hurt so Sigil offers to fix that for you. But I doubt very much that this is in any way related to your rejection by Amazon at all.

Try running your epub through the epubcheck plugin and fixing any issues it detects.

The read up on the kindle guidelines to make sure you are not using things unsupported in kindle.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 10:44 PM   #8
FacetiousKnave
Unconscionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
That is mostly since Kovid does not like adding the .DOCTYPE for unknown reasons and the cover generation/insertion routine does not add the required lines for an ePub 2 file. The first code block is what calibre uses, the second code block is what Sigil modifies it to for ePub 2 and the third block is Sigil modifies it to for ePub 3. For me, it's not worth the time and effort to argue about this, I just use Sigil to modify the code.

Code:
    <head>
Code:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">

<head>
Code:
<!DOCTYPE html>

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" xmlns:epub="http://www.idpf.org/2007/ops">
<head>
The other item is if you should be using epubcheck not the built in checker in both Sigil and calibre. If an ePub passes epubcheck, most publishers will accept it otherwise they tend to bounce for any reported error.
Thank you, but I still think that is not the issue. I'll tell you why: even after Sigil made those amendments and included the <!DOCTYPE html>, Amazon was still rejecting the file.

However, something curious happened a minute ago. I sent the unmodified epubs to my phone with AirDrop and then sent them to Kindle. They went straight to the Amazon cloud without any issue.

The bottom line of all this is: I do not have a clue what could be causing the rejection of the ebooks.
Old 01-18-2024, 01:04 AM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
The bottom line of all this is: I do not have a clue what could be causing the rejection of the ebooks.
No one does.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 02:35 AM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Have you run epubcheck on your ePub?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 01:11 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
A while back when Amazon first started allowing ePub to be sent to Kindle, quite a few people were complaining about rejected submissions. I looked at a fair number of scrambled ebooks and very few of them passed epubcheck. The ones that did pass epubcheck had items such as ToC entries pointing at an tag with display: none, pointing to an ID in the <body> tag, pointing at IDs that were incorrectly formatted (the invalid XML name error) or pointing at nothing in particular. Then there were a couple where nothing seemed to be wrong and I ended up having to click on every link to see if it worked.
Old 01-18-2024, 01:49 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Additionally, even after Sigil ran the bug check and fixed whatever it found, Amazon still cannot convert the epub.
Sigil doesn't have an inherent "bug check" for epubs. It can validate/correct some xhtml (and can check your css if you tell it to), but if you want to see if your epub is actually valid according to the epub spec, you'll want to install a validation plugin (like epubcheck that many people have been mentioning).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 02:51 PM   #13
FacetiousKnave
Unconscionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Sigil doesn't have an inherent "bug check" for epubs. It can validate/correct some xhtml (and can check your css if you tell it to), but if you want to see if your epub is actually valid according to the epub spec, you'll want to install a validation plugin (like epubcheck that many people have been mentioning).
Is there an updated or newer version of that plugin or is it still the same from 2014
Old 01-18-2024, 03:00 PM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Is there an updated or newer version of that plugin or is it still the same from 2014
The link in that thread is to the updated version from Feb, 2023. Please note that the plugin installer no longer included the epubcheck files and they will be downloaded on first run.
Old 01-18-2024, 03:00 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
The plugin was last updated February 3, 2023. Also, if there is a new version of epubcheck, you will be asked if you want to download it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, calibre, conversion, error, kindle