Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-23-2022, 05:41 AM   #1
Raemchoi
Raemchoi began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Kobo Libra H20 "forgets" reading stats

Hey there,

I'm here since this forum feels like my last resort. Hopefully one of you knows what's going on here.

The problem:
When rebooting or unplugging the device from a PC, the Activity screen forgets about my reading times.

Reading a book for 0,1h shows up in the activity screen, but after rebooting the device this added 0,1h is simply forgotten. I checked the database and the Events rows for opening/closing the book are still there.

I restored my account, went back to factory settings and even did a hard reset. None of it did anything to change this.

Once hard reset I'm back on firmware 4.19. Weird thing is: If I add reading time and afterwards upgrade to 4.34, all the reading time up untill that point is being saved. So rebooting now brings the reading time back to the point after upgrading.

Backstory
I've used Kobo patches without issues except that one time I upgraded to a new patched firmware, without having that version of firmware installed beforehand. A hard reset was necessary to make the device boot up again. It seemed that that fixed everything.

Maybe this did something else with internals that causes this dementia? I found out about a week ago but I'm not sure if I rebooted after this reset and before finding out. It might be connected.

I really hope someone knows what might've caused the issue and how to fix it.
Raemchoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 11:43 AM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
That sounds suspiciously like a database corruption issue. Can you check the database? Using calibre and the Kobo Utilities plugin, it's under the database options.

You may need to do a sign out/sign in to recreate the database.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2022, 11:55 AM   #3
Raemchoi
Raemchoi began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
That's what I thought as well. I believe resetting to factory settings or a reset populate a new and clean database? If so, I've populated many (I had to sign in again every time) and none of it fixed it.

As for Calibre, I'm not that experienced with it. I think I checked the database? It gave me the following:

Code:
Result of running 'PRAGMA integrity_check' on database on the Kobo device:

ok
Additional information
Upon further trial and error I noticed the following. The reader also saves the reading stats using the following steps.

1. Open the book, read, do your thing
2. Go back to Home
3. Open the another book and close out of it.
4. Open the same book as step 1 and close out of it.

After reboot, the stats collected in step 1 will remain.
Raemchoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 06:59 AM   #4
Blas
Ulica Guy
Blas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kobo H2O and Motorola XOOM 2(for comics)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raemchoi View Post
Hey there,

I'm here since this forum feels like my last resort. Hopefully one of you knows what's going on here.

The problem:
When rebooting or unplugging the device from a PC, the Activity screen forgets about my reading times.

Reading a book for 0,1h shows up in the activity screen, but after rebooting the device this added 0,1h is simply forgotten. I checked the database and the Events rows for opening/closing the book are still there.

I restored my account, went back to factory settings and even did a hard reset. None of it did anything to change this.

Once hard reset I'm back on firmware 4.19. Weird thing is: If I add reading time and afterwards upgrade to 4.34, all the reading time up untill that point is being saved. So rebooting now brings the reading time back to the point after upgrading.

Backstory
I've used Kobo patches without issues except that one time I upgraded to a new patched firmware, without having that version of firmware installed beforehand. A hard reset was necessary to make the device boot up again. It seemed that that fixed everything.

Maybe this did something else with internals that causes this dementia? I found out about a week ago but I'm not sure if I rebooted after this reset and before finding out. It might be connected.

I really hope someone knows what might've caused the issue and how to fix it.
I can tell that I am facing a similar issue when updating my Kobo Aura H20(Kobo5) to the version 4.34.20097.

Do you have a sdcard in?

Issue I am facing

Basically it will update fine either manually with downloaded file from PC or through the wifi.

The problem is when it boots up, it will just boot up with none of my reading stats available and it will not show my saved books in the sdcard. If I try to go to its settings to check my sdcard it wont show that it is in.
If I try to connect to my pc by usb(with the sdcard in) it will give the prompt to connect to the pc and show the screen that it is connected to the computer(as it normally does), after that it will freeze, the computer will never recognize that the kobo is connected therefore I can't navigate through its folders.
After a while the kobo will restart itself, with the same "blank" home screen where only the books I will have in the home screen are the ones that are loaded onto the onboard storage.

If I roll back to the 4.33.19759 it will work fine, computer will properly recognize my Kobo with the sdcard in and all my content will load in the home screen.

Notes:
> the updates were without any patches set
> tested different working usb cables

Kobo Model: Kobo Aura H20(kobo5)
SD Card: SanDisk 32GB Class 10
PC OS: Windows 11 Pro
Blas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
corrupt database, error, stats