Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-25-2016, 05:08 PM   #1
Seeker407
Seeker407 began at the beginning.

Device: (android) xperia z3 compact
Exclamation Memory Error, need help!

Hello all.

First of all, if someone can help me with this issue, I will be donating at least $20 to Calibre because of how awesome it is. (I am trying to use calibre for 1 specific task which is below, if I can get it to work, it would be worth the money at that point)

1. General description of the problem

I am trying to convert large files (kindle ebooks) into PDF or really any format that I can view on any device. Calibre seems to work just fine with smaller files, but with larger files, it seems to fall a part.

2. I need a solution to convert large files

3. The file you are trying to convert. If the file is copyrighted then create an extract/sample that shows the problem, or use the calibre bug report system to create a private bug with the file attached.

The file I am trying to convert is a test file I downloaded from Kindle.. its the oxford dictionary, and its size is 26 mb. I can't upload it because it is too large. But if you go to the kindle store, you can download the dictionary for free and try it at your place

4 The conversion log from calibre. You get this by clicking the rotating spinner in the bottom right of the main calibre window and using the show job details button.

calibre, version 2.62.0 (win32, embedded-python: True)
Conversion Error: Failed: Convert book 1 of 1 (The New Oxford American Dictionary)

Convert book 1 of 1 (The New Oxford American Dictionary)
Resolved conversion options
calibre version: 2.62.0
{'asciiize': False,
'author_sort': None,
'authors': None,
'base_font_size': 0.0,
'book_producer': None,
'change_justification': u'original',
'chapter': u"//*[((name()='h1' or name()='h2') and re:test(., '\\s*((chapter|book|section|part)\\s+)|((prolog|pr ologue|epilogue)(\\s+|$))', 'i')) or @class = 'chapter']",
'chapter_mark': u'pagebreak',
'comments': None,
'cover': u'C:\\Users\\seeker\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\calibre _wkyoyc\\ueutre.jpeg',
'debug_pipeline': None,
'dehyphenate': True,
'delete_blank_paragraphs': True,
'disable_font_rescaling': False,
'duplicate_links_in_toc': False,
'embed_all_fonts': False,
'embed_font_family': None,
'enable_heuristics': False,
'expand_css': False,
'extra_css': None,
'extract_to': None,
'filter_css': u'',
'fix_indents': True,
'font_size_mapping': None,
'format_scene_breaks': True,
'html_unwrap_factor': 0.4,
'input_encoding': None,
'input_profile': <calibre.customize.profiles.KindleInput object at 0x0458BD50>,
'insert_blank_line': False,
'insert_blank_line_size': 0.5,
'insert_metadata': False,
'isbn': None,
'italicize_common_cases': True,
'keep_ligatures': False,
'language': None,
'level1_toc': None,
'level2_toc': None,
'level3_toc': None,
'line_height': 0.0,
'linearize_tables': False,
'margin_bottom': 5.0,
'margin_left': 5.0,
'margin_right': 5.0,
'margin_top': 5.0,
'markup_chapter_headings': True,
'max_toc_links': 50,
'minimum_line_height': 120.0,
'no_chapters_in_toc': False,
'no_inline_navbars': False,
'output_profile': <calibre.customize.profiles.OutputProfile object at 0x0458BE70>,
'page_breaks_before': u"//*[name()='h1' or name()='h2']",
'prefer_metadata_cover': False,
'pretty_print': True,
'pubdate': None,
'publisher': None,
'rating': None,
'read_metadata_from_opf': u'C:\\Users\\seeker\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\calibre _wkyoyc\\fpepp3.opf',
'remove_fake_margins': True,
'remove_first_image': False,
'remove_paragraph_spacing': False,
'remove_paragraph_spacing_indent_size': 1.5,
'renumber_headings': True,
'replace_scene_breaks': u'',
'search_replace': '[]',
'series': None,
'series_index': None,
'smarten_punctuation': False,
'sr1_replace': None,
'sr1_search': None,
'sr2_replace': None,
'sr2_search': None,
'sr3_replace': None,
'sr3_search': None,
'start_reading_at': None,
'subset_embedded_fonts': False,
'tags': None,
'template_css': None,
'template_html': None,
'template_html_index': None,
'timestamp': None,
'title': None,
'title_sort': None,
'toc_filter': None,
'toc_threshold': 6,
'transform_css_rules': '[]',
'unsmarten_punctuation': False,
'unwrap_lines': True,
'use_auto_toc': False,
'verbose': 2}
InputFormatPlugin: MOBI Input running
on C:\Users\seeker\AppData\Local\Temp\calibre_wkyoyc\ irzrtb.mobi
Extracting text...
Adding anchors...
Extracting text...
Adding anchors...
Python function terminated unexpectedly
(Error Code: 1)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site.py", line 132, in main
File "site.py", line 109, in run_entry_point
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\worker.py", line 190, in main
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\convert\gui_conversion.py", line 31, in gui_convert_override
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\convert\gui_conversion.py", line 25, in gui_convert
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\conversion\plumber.py", line 1060, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\conversion.py", line 241, in __call__
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\conversion\plugins\mobi_in put.py", line 35, in convert
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\mobi\reader\mobi6.py", line 167, in extract_content
File "re.py", line 155, in sub
MemoryError

5 The output file, if any.

No output file, just the standard kindle version of the file

6 A description of what exactly the problem is. If there is an error message when converting then the full error message, which you can get by clicking the show details button on the error message.

See 1

7 A description of any conversion options you changed from the default

I just installed calibre, and used the DRM plugin to remove DRM (or DMRs, whatever it is).

Thank you all in advance!

J
Seeker407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:13 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Dictionaries are Always a conversion problem

Use a 64 bit CPU and Max out your RAM (and run nothing else during the conversion)
Use the CLI, not the GUI to free up some more RAM

Even then, it is a dice roll
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2016, 07:14 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Dictionary conversion (along with Bible conversion) is just about impossible; they're too large, with too many links.

You could try using the 64 bit version of calibre (assuming you are running a 64 bit version of Windows).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:47 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Seeker407 - it looks like 'The New Oxford American Dictionary' is available for free on most platforms (albeit not necessarily from Bezos' shop), so why waste time with conversions, which are often 'problematic', but especially so with dictionaries.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:08 AM   #5
Seeker407
Seeker407 began at the beginning.

Device: (android) xperia z3 compact
Thanks all for the reply.. allow me to expand on my purpose of this program. What I intend to do is take a book that I need to buy for a class I'm taking and convert it into a file which is easily accessible. The book I want to buy is a calculus book it is 100 megabytes big. The Oxford dictionaries only 2 6 megabytes big. I figure if I can figure out how to convert the Oxford dictionary into a PDF or really any version that I can use then I could probably convert my calculus book into a useable format. The purpose of all this is to be able to access my calculus book at any time for me to location and so that I can continue doing my homework even at work
Seeker407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2016, 04:36 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Your figuring may well be wrong, convertibility is as much, or more, a function of structure and complexity as it is size.

The difficulty with dictionaries and bibles is that they have lots of internal linkages that have to mapped. That may not be true of your calculus book, if the presumably large number of equations are laid out as images that may account for its size.

What format are Amazon shipping? It could be that it is already a PDF in a proprietary Amazon DRM infested wrapper. Have you looked elsewhere for the book? Did you check the publisher's site.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 11:33 PM   #7
123iamking
123iamking began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd gen)
I had this problem and I managed to solve it, so I want to share the solution here for future reference.
Solution: Use Calibre 64-bit version.
I see that when I use Calibre 32-bit (which is the portable verison), I got the error "Memory Error" when Memory hits about (if I remember correctly) 2GB - Task Manager showed that my Memory hits about 50% at that time - so I know that it's limitation of the 32-bit verison, not the limitation of my RAM. So I switch to Calibre 64-bit (which required installing) and it won't have that Memory Error anymore.
123iamking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 12:48 AM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
For what it may be worth, the calibre 6 portable versions are 64 bit. and have been since the first release of calibre 6 in July, 2022.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
.mobi, error, file, kindle, memory