Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-05-2022, 10:17 AM   #1
fad42va
fad42va began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Error: Contacting Calibre failed

Hi folks, I've been using Calibre for about 10 years error free. Today I received this error:

Failed to connect to Listener at: \\.\pipe\CalibreGUI-fjd42x with error: QLocalSocket::connectToServer: Invalid name

b'launched:["calibre.exe"]'

I'm running Windows 11 and have been for about 6 weeks. Not sure of the version of Calibre I was on (probably 5.34 or 5.35), but 5.36 was available so I downloaded it, ran it, and received the same error on startup. As far as I can tell, this error is not preventing me from running the program or reading books using the built-in eReader. Any help would be appreciated
fad42va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 07:38 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Its harmless it happens if you restart calibre too soon after shutting it down, simply ignore it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 09:10 AM   #3
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I've also had it happen when Calibre processes get stuck open. If it doesn't go away after a minute or two, check task manager.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 07:55 PM   #4
booknerd1000
booknerd1000 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Also experiencing this issue, won't go away

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Its harmless it happens if you restart calibre too soon after shutting it down, simply ignore it.
I've rebooted several times but this same error keeps preventing me from starting. I've been using the windows app without issue for about 2 years now. I upgraded to the latest version a few machine reboots ago, suddenly today I was unable to connect to the content server and after rebooting have not been able to load the GUI at all.

Running Windows 10. Have installed the latest version of Calibre (6.10, I believe). Have already gone through the uninstall, reinstall dance. Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mobileread forums.PNG
Views:	138
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	198651  
booknerd1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 10:07 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Reboot in safe mode and see if the problem persists, if not its some software interfering with calibre, most likely culprit is the antivirus. You can try excluding calibre.exe from it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 05:19 PM   #6
tadpole
Enthusiast
tadpole is a marvel to beholdtadpole is a marvel to beholdtadpole is a marvel to beholdtadpole is a marvel to beholdtadpole is a marvel to beholdtadpole is a marvel to beholdtadpole is a marvel to beholdtadpole is a marvel to beholdtadpole is a marvel to beholdtadpole is a marvel to beholdtadpole is a marvel to behold

Device: kobo aura hd
Contacting Calibre failed

I had to get a new laptop and got Calibre re-installed. But now every time that I try to open it I get the message....

Failed to contact running instance of calibre, try restarting calibre

Was there a problem with the install? Should I try downloading the set up file again?
tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 06:22 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadpole View Post
I had to get a new laptop and got Calibre re-installed. But now every time that I try to open it I get the message....

Was there a problem with the install? Should I try downloading the set up file again?
What OS?
Have you whitelisted calibre with the anti-whatever suite that came with your machine?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 06:23 PM   #8
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadpole View Post

Check task manager. It might've gotten stuck running in the background.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 01:10 AM   #9
tadpole
Enthusiast
tadpole is a marvel to beholdtadpole is a marvel to beholdtadpole is a marvel to beholdtadpole is a marvel to beholdtadpole is a marvel to beholdtadpole is a marvel to beholdtadpole is a marvel to beholdtadpole is a marvel to beholdtadpole is a marvel to beholdtadpole is a marvel to beholdtadpole is a marvel to behold

Device: kobo aura hd
It must have been some type of fluke incident. It only happened a few times, and here lately when I log in, all is well.
tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
error