Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-03-2009, 08:32 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Differences between Mobipocket Creator and Calibre

With help from frabjous I've just converted an HTML file into a mobi file, and have noticed some differences between how Mobipocket Creator renders the file and Calibre renders the file.

In no particular order
- Calibre seems read and display HTML better - e.g. Mobipocket Creator does not show smallcaps while Calibre does
- Calibre accepts two classes applied to a tag, while Mobipocket Creator ignores them both
- Calibre does not indent the first word in a paragraph, while Mobipocket Creator does
- Caliber enforces full justification, which over rides the settings on my Cybook, while Mobipocket Creator does not.

Are these observations valid? Or is it just that it was the first file I've converted and I didn't do it right?

If the differences are real are there any others I should know about?

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:39 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
The first is true. MobiCreator won't use CSS files.

I don't now about the second, but the last 2 can be changed in calibre. There are check boxes. They can also be set in the html source.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2009, 10:37 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre and mobipocket reader use completely different algorithms to convert to MOBI. As you explore, you are likely to find many more differences, but as Nate the great pointed out, your last two differences can be changed via a setting in the conversion dialog.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 04:30 AM   #4
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The first is true. MobiCreator won't use CSS files.
I'm sorry, Nate, but this is simply not so - even though I've seen it repeated several times.

I uploaded a very beginning EbookTemplate.html and ebook.css to the Workshop forum recently. Mobipocket Creator built a prc file from them which amongst other things recognised CSS classes for bold and italic and rendered the text bold or italic. It did not recognise a class for smallcaps, though Calibre did - hence the mention in my post here.

Regards, Alex
Old 07-04-2009, 04:33 AM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
calibre and mobipocket reader use completely different algorithms to convert to MOBI. As you explore, you are likely to find many more differences, but as Nate the great pointed out, your last two differences can be changed via a setting in the conversion dialog.
Thanks. I'll explore some more. I gather that no list of differences is available, so perhaps I'll be able to post one in future.

Regards, Alex.
Advert
Old 07-04-2009, 06:55 AM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
I'm sorry, Nate, but this is simply not so - even though I've seen it repeated several times.

I uploaded a very beginning EbookTemplate.html and ebook.css to the Workshop forum recently. Mobipocket Creator built a prc file from them which amongst other things recognised CSS classes for bold and italic and rendered the text bold or italic. It did not recognise a class for smallcaps, though Calibre did - hence the mention in my post here.

Regards, Alex
Now this is a head scratcher. I've tried CSS files before with MobiCreator. It didn't work. I guess I need to find out what was broken.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 07:27 AM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Now this is a head scratcher. I've tried CSS files before with MobiCreator. It didn't work. I guess I need to find out what was broken.
Mobipocket Creator converts /some/ CSS into explicit coding in the Mobipocket file. Perhaps you just tried something that doesn't get converted, or perhaps it was an older version of Mobipocket Creator.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:25 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Thanks. I'll explore some more. I gather that no list of differences is available, so perhaps I'll be able to post one in future.

Regards, Alex.
I'm sure many people would find that useful.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:32 PM   #9
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Mobipocket Creator converts /some/ CSS into explicit coding in the Mobipocket file. Perhaps you just tried something that doesn't get converted, or perhaps it was an older version of Mobipocket Creator.
Yes, Mobipockets rendering of CSS is not only limited but also idiosyncratic - an HTML/CSS combination written in compliance to Mobipocket conventions does not validate according to W3C standards. So far as I've been able to find out so far W3C standard compliant HTML/CSS is much more likely to work with Calibre - though I certainly haven't finished exploring yet.

Regards, Alex
Old 07-04-2009, 11:41 PM   #10
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
I'm certainly not an expert with HTML/CSS, but if you like to post or private mail the markup which doesn't work I'd be happy to look at it.

Regards, Alex