Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-15-2022, 07:12 PM   #16
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I need a new mini. My Mini 4 has been hinky for a while, the first iDevice I've ever had to act up. It's fine for just browsing and some game apps. But it's slow to load the apps, and if I try to watch a video in a small screen, everything else gets herky jerky. Resetting it didn't do a thing.

So I guess I don't "need" one, but would love a new one. We bought iPhones in the spring, a 13 for hubby, 13 pro for me. My watch is a 3, so a new one there would be nice. Why won't they design a watch with a landscape shape? My wrists are freakishly small, so the larger faces look funny on me. I'd love to see a watch wider on my arm and not so tall.
The new mini is nice. I have the purple. I regret getting it for I have several ipads already but it is the perfect size for reading.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 09:14 AM   #17
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I bought the new 11" Pro. The hover cursor thing is pretty cool. It was an impulse buy lol.
Old 12-22-2022, 02:39 PM   #18
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
I bought the new 11" Pro. The hover cursor thing is pretty cool. It was an impulse buy lol.
The best kind of buying!
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 04:54 PM   #19
HLS
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
The best kind of buying!

LOL i charged the whopping $899 but i got 5% back so I got $45 taken off. Microcenter has 5% cash back immediately applied to purchase. Now I have 4 iPads. lol.
Old 12-25-2022, 12:25 PM   #20
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have 3 iPads (mini 6, Air 2, Pro 12.9" M1) and obviously the Air 2 has to be replaced.

But while I have been looking for a good price on Air 5, I now see I was mistaken: it must now be an M2 iPad.
Old 12-25-2022, 02:13 PM   #21
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
I'm done with the iPads for now, no more new ones for me, unless Apple turns out a usable iPadOS that isn't a total POS! The current iPadOS is garbage unless you just want to be entertained, but forget about using it for spreadsheets, photo/video processing, or even writing.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 04:05 PM   #22
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
I'm done with the iPads for now, no more new ones for me, unless Apple turns out a usable iPadOS that isn't a total POS! The current iPadOS is garbage unless you just want to be entertained, but forget about using it for spreadsheets, photo/video processing, or even writing.
For writing, have you tried something like Scrivener or Ulysses? (I have not, but they promote themselves to 'writers')

Or if not, where does iPad come short for writing?

For video editing I would never think about an iPad or even a MacBook: I need a bigger screen. Though with external display support, that should now be possible.

I have not been able to get external display to work with external display with DVI port: lots of flickering and screen going dark. I'm getting a DisplayPort adapter today, hoping that will work.

This looks interesting:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/med...se/20221020-02

(DaVinci Resolve for iPad)

At least somebody's trying to deliver some professional video tools on iPad.

Last edited by tomsem; 12-27-2022 at 04:08 PM.
Old 12-27-2022, 06:29 PM   #23
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
For writing, have you tried something like Scrivener or Ulysses? (I have not, but they promote themselves to 'writers')

Or if not, where does iPad come short for writing?

For video editing I would never think about an iPad or even a MacBook: I need a bigger screen. Though with external display support, that should now be possible.

I have not been able to get external display to work with external display with DVI port: lots of flickering and screen going dark. I'm getting a DisplayPort adapter today, hoping that will work.

This looks interesting:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/med...se/20221020-02

(DaVinci Resolve for iPad)

At least somebody's trying to deliver some professional video tools on iPad.
By “writing” I mean entering text. That sucks as the iPad’s virtual keyboards are total garbage to use. If I want to write longer stuff, then I will use a computer.

All the image editing apps like Photoshop and Lightroom are a joke on an iPad. They are way too limited in functionality and über difficult to use.

I agree that video editing needs a computer. For video editing I need a huge amount of storage space and a powerful processor, neither of which my iPad can provide. Plus using iPadOS for that would be insane!

I use a USB-C cable to connect my Samsung S80A 27” 4K monitor to my MacBook Air M1. That works well if you have the proper cable. It also provides plenty of power from the monitor to keep the MacBook Air M1 charged. HDMI and DisplayPort work well too, but require a hub or adapter. DVI is really old tech and I haven’t had anything that uses that in many years. I do have some old DVI cables though because I’m a packrat!
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 08:14 PM   #24
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
By “writing” I mean entering text. That sucks as the iPad’s virtual keyboards are total garbage to use. If I want to write longer stuff, then I will use a computer.
Oh sure, of course most people would need a physical keyboard for writing, but obviously you can connect one when you need to write. Which is what I do. Just thought I was maybe missing something. I rarely use my iPad Pro without one (and a trackpad), and of course Universal Control lets you use your Mac's.

And while one can use a stylus, I've never gotten used to that on iPads, and after so many years of keyboarding, even pencil and paper feels very awkward.

However I never say never: I got some replacement tips for my Apple Pencil that add a little bit of friction, and with one of those, I can actually write legibly, maybe even draw a good square or circle. We'll see.
Old 12-29-2022, 06:59 PM   #25
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
However I never say never: I got some replacement tips for my Apple Pencil that add a little bit of friction, and with one of those, I can actually write legibly, maybe even draw a good square or circle. We'll see.
I don't write on mine much, but found that a "paperfeel" screen protector helps a lot. I like the mat look, as it cuts glare from the screen, but makes it feel as if you're writing on paper. Just enough 'drag' to make it feel normal.

I don't know how well they wear, though. I've had mine on for a year or so, and it's still looking good. But I can't say I've written on it with a stylus enough to really test it out.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 04:21 PM   #26
HLS
Wizard

I have an apple pencil for a year or 2 now. no tip wear yet