Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-03-2018, 01:25 PM   #1
jomod
jomod began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Dead Paperwhite 2013, no boot

I bought a Paperwhite 2013 but it doesn't start.
No mater how long I press the power button it won't turn on.
While charging the idicator light is orange and after pressing the power button for about 10seconds it flashes 4 times.
But other than that there is no reaction at all.
Even when I press the power button for 40 seconds as suggested.
The screen shows the tree image and in the background the "need to charge battery" sign.
I charged the Kindle for a few hours over USB now but still nothing.
The battery itself seems to be ok. I charged it directly with my power supply to test the battery.

Is there a known solution or can I try something to get the Kindle to work?
jomod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 01:28 PM   #2
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomod View Post
I bought a Paperwhite 2013 but it doesn't start.
No mater how long I press the power button it won't turn on.
While charging the idicator light is orange and after pressing the power button for about 10seconds it flashes 4 times.
But other than that there is no reaction at all.
Even when I press the power button for 40 seconds as suggested.
The screen shows the tree image and in the background the "need to charge battery" sign.
I charged the Kindle for a few hours over USB now but still nothing.
The battery itself seems to be ok. I charged it directly with my power supply to test the battery.

Leave it plugged into a wall charger for several days and try again. If it still doesn't work, given you are getting some reaction, you could open it up and see what is being written to the serial port. It might or might not be salvagable.

Dave
dhdurgee is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2018, 03:24 PM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomod View Post
. . . . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
Leave it plugged into a wall charger for several days and try again. If it still doesn't work, given you are getting some reaction, you could open it up and see what is being written to the serial port. It might or might not be salvagable.

Dave
It may be:

Just trying to restore the file system (a slow process) - Dave's suggestion covers that possibility.

Or a problem with the battery charge regulation / firmware logic (common).
To cover this possibility, put the Kindle in a freezer for at least a day (to be certain the battery internals are cold - there is a mini-controller in there) -
Wrap in soft cloth when taking from freezer (to reduce the chance of condensation on/in the Kindle) -
Then (while cold) put on wall charger for at least a few days.

Ignore the light in all cases.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 04:18 PM   #4
jomod

Thank you both for your sugestions.
I will follow them, although I am a bit impatient already.
Hopefully I can get it back to life.
Anyway I will post an update the next few days.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:45 AM   #5
jomod

Just to give an update:

Charging and freezing didn't help so I startet taking it appart.
I desoldered the shields to havev a look on the board but I realised that the board alone draws 200mA so I startet searching for a short.
Relatively quick I realised that the processor (MCIMX6L8DVN10AB) has a little short.
Perhaps it is just a shortet solderball but I dont have the skill and equipment to reball it.
Advert
Old 12-09-2018, 08:14 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Sell it as used parts.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dead