Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-11-2018, 06:00 AM   #541
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH23 View Post
if i recall correctly, sickel makes the Kobo reboot when a process takes longer than sickel expects, so running modified firmware is a sure way to make sickel activate.
Yes, that is what sickel does. But, that isn't the problem. It was introduced with firmware 3.16.10. It worked, but it was badly tuned and rebooted the device far to often. The problem was still there in 3.17.0 but turned off for a while after that. Basically, just don't use 3.16.10 or 3.17.0.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:36 PM   #542
lvhuyen
lvhuyen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite
Hi everyone,

I am using Kobo Aura One with KSM and Koreader.
Kobo just issued a new software update (4.12.12111) to almost all of their products, which claimed some improvement over PDF handling.
Can I try this update? If anything goes wrong, can I go back to the current state?

Thanks!
lvhuyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2018, 07:47 AM   #543
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvhuyen View Post
Hi everyone,

I am using Kobo Aura One with KSM and Koreader.
Kobo just issued a new software update (4.12.12111) to almost all of their products, which claimed some improvement over PDF handling.
Can I try this update? If anything goes wrong, can I go back to the current state?

Thanks!
When you install the update, select "KR update controlled"!
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 12:04 AM   #544
bokbokwhoosh
bokbokwhoosh began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Hello all,
Is there a way to get KSM in night mode (inverted)? That is, not the night mode hack for Nickel, but having an inverted (white text on black bg) theme for KSM itself?

That would be really cool to have, because I often pick up my reader in bed, and it burns my eyes while starting up (I have frontlight on with KSM startup).

A big fan of KSM and koreader here. I've been using them for 4 years now, and I love my Kobo Glo with them. Thanks for making and maintaining these (especially you, @tshering)!
bokbokwhoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 08:48 AM   #545
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokbokwhoosh View Post
Hello all,
Is there a way to get KSM in night mode (inverted)? That is, not the night mode hack for Nickel, but having an inverted (white text on black bg) theme for KSM itself?

That would be really cool to have, because I often pick up my reader in bed, and it burns my eyes while starting up (I have frontlight on with KSM startup).

A big fan of KSM and koreader here. I've been using them for 4 years now, and I love my Kobo Glo with them. Thanks for making and maintaining these (especially you, @tshering)!
Welcome to the forum!

I am glad you like KSM! As for nightmode, I have already done some preparations. But the have not yet gone into the main line of KSM. Currently, the whole KSM business is a little chaotic (even more than it used to be). There are several test versions without version numbers around. Therefore, there is no automatic updating possibly any longer.

I assume that your device (simple Kobo Glo) is currently running KSM 9 plus update 1 or 2 (compare the first post of this thread). If this is the case you can install (If you have installed only the first version of KSM, install update 1, before you proceed.)
See whether you like it.

Last edited by tshering; 12-17-2018 at 09:10 AM.
Advert
Old 12-19-2018, 05:17 AM   #546
sbaguz
sbaguz began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Hi guys,

here is my set of KSM icons: I simply took DobermanS's alternative set and I updated the switchtokoreader one to the new KOReader logo.
The result seems to me elegant and modern.
I hope you like it too.

Bye

Attached Files
File Type: zip kbmenupngs.zip (14.0 KB, 473 views)
sbaguz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 01:16 PM   #547
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbaguz View Post
Hi guys,

here is my set of KSM icons: I simply took DobermanS's alternative set and I updated the switchtokoreader one to the new KOReader logo.
The result seems to me elegant and modern.
I hope you like it too.

Bye

Thank you sbaguz! In the first post of this thread, there is no a link to your post.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:47 PM   #548
El Duderino
#hilakleiner
El Duderino began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura (2013)
Hi, I'm currently running KSM 08 on a Kobo Aura Mark 5 with Nickel FW (4.12.12111). I'd like to update my Koreader from v2015 to v2018.

I understand for newer devices I'd need to install KSM 09, but is there any reason I shouldn't stay on KSM 08 for the life of this 2013 Kobo model? Might this cause issue with future Nickel/Koreader updates?

So far I've had no issues with KSM 08. "If it ain't broke..."

Thanks!

Last edited by El Duderino; 12-20-2018 at 10:51 PM.
El Duderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 08:36 AM   #549
El Duderino
#hilakleiner

Ahh, I see Plato requires KSM 09. Anyone know if the PDF experience is as good as Koreader, and/or tried the new Sketch feature?
Old 12-21-2018, 02:50 PM   #550
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post
Ahh, I see Plato requires KSM 09. Anyone know if the PDF experience is as good as Koreader, and/or tried the new Sketch feature?
You can try Plato under KSM 08. Copy the plato files of version 0.6.1(or higher) into .adds/plato (you have to create the folder plato yourself), and install the KoboRoot.tgz from the uploaded archive. You will find "start plato" in the "scripts" menu of KSM.
Attached Files
File Type: zip KSM08_plato_0.6.1.zip (553 Bytes, 201 views)

Last edited by tshering; 12-21-2018 at 02:53 PM.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:15 PM   #551
El Duderino
#hilakleiner

Thanks for the instructions tshering!

I'm still conflicted on which version to go with. KSM 08 has been rock-solid, and I've read lots of issues in this thread regarding KSM 09. It's more complex, and I've yet to see screenshots or a video which showcases new features.

That said, you've worked very hard on KSM 09, there's a night-mode package to not blind yourself when turning on the device in the dark, and the thought of using Filezilla to transfer PDF's, etc. to computer from my Kobo over WiFi when travelling is very enticing!
Old 12-21-2018, 04:33 PM   #552
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
I'm still conflicted on which version to go with. KSM 08 has been rock-solid, and I've read lots of issues in this thread regarding KSM 09.
On my new KA1 (new to me, not some new device) I went with KSM 9. On my old H2O I'm still with KSM 8. In my day to day use (well, actually I don't use KSM daily, as I usually stay in koreader most of the time, I wanted to say that for what I use KSM) KSM is still as solid as it was with older version.

Problems, if you noticed, are related with new devices (Forma and H2O2 v2). Which is actually expected. I'm sure if tshering would have access to actual hardware, he would solve all problems without any posts here about problems.

So, you can go to KSM 9 without to much problems, even if you don't plan to use new features (I don't use them).
Alan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 04:53 PM   #553
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Thanks for the instructions tshering!

I'm still conflicted on which version to go with. KSM 08 has been rock-solid, and I've read lots of issues in this thread regarding KSM 09. It's more complex, and I've yet to see screenshots or a video which showcases new features.

That said, you've worked very hard on KSM 09, there's a night-mode package to not blind yourself when turning on the device in the dark, and the thought of using Filezilla to transfer PDF's, etc. to computer from my Kobo over WiFi when travelling is very enticing!
Maybe now is not the best time to switch to KSM 09! Nightmode is not yet completely integrated, it does not stay on over restarts (if I remember correctly). You you will blind yourself ...
Old 12-21-2018, 05:09 PM   #554
El Duderino
#hilakleiner

@Alan_S Thanks for sharing your valuable experience. It helps me to stay with KSM 08 confidently!

@tshering Also appreciate the heads up re: blinding myself! lol. Will wait for KSM 10 perhaps as the new feature-set is becoming 'undeniable'.

You are breathing new life into old tech, and helping keep perfectly good devices out of the Pacific Ocean garbage patch.

Old 12-30-2018, 05:25 AM   #555
Elaxon
Zealot
Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20 Aura
Hey, just curious I just had the DB reindex process run and went to sleep. I realized my Kobo was still turned on with KSM menu and when I went to check battery it was at 0 capacity. I am charging it now but does it suffer any ill effects if I let it drain out in KSM or is there a way to prevent that in KSM for it to poweroff if inactive for long? I tend to forget to turn it off after experimenting.
Elaxon is offline   Reply With Quote