Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 01:50 PM   #1
duskwind
duskwind began at the beginning.

Device: none
Paperwhite 2018 - getting rid of special offers

I just bought a Paperwhite 2018 with special offers thinking it would be nice to get recommendations. However these special offers are not at all my cup of tea... I only get trashy romance novels for women... I tried personalised offers, but it's the same.

I spoke with the customer service, but they told me it's not possible to remove them now. I would have to return mine and buy one without special offers. I didn't want to do that, because I had already invested quite some time to edit collections etc.

I then tried removing the files from the two system folders. This works, but I failed to activate the write-protection for these folders. So each time I deactivate flight-mode the special offers return... Supposedly this works on older PWs. Any ideas?
Old 12-06-2018, 01:59 PM   #2
janrey
Groupie
janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by duskwind View Post
I just bought a Paperwhite 2018 with special offers thinking it would be nice to get recommendations. However these special offers are not at all my cup of tea... I only get trashy romance novels for women... I tried personalised offers, but it's the same.

I spoke with the customer service, but they told me it's not possible to remove them now. I would have to return mine and buy one without special offers. I didn't want to do that, because I had already invested quite some time to edit collections etc.

I then tried removing the files from the two system folders. This works, but I failed to activate the write-protection for these folders. So each time I deactivate flight-mode the special offers return... Supposedly this works on older PWs. Any ideas?

The rep is incorrect I believe, at least I can do it on a kindle I gave to a friend and I can subscribe to on kindles I have that don't have the ads. Go to amazon.com and then to manage your content and devices. Under devices locate the device and click the dots. You will see your email address associated with that device, then special offers /offers ads and next to subscribed you should see edit. Click that and you can remove the ads for $20.
Advert
Old 12-06-2018, 02:01 PM   #3
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
CS is wrong when they say that offers cannot be removed. Maybe they are not allowed to do it for free, but there should be an option on your device page to remove them for a fee.

If you ask for help to circumvent the offers, thenpkease don't ask here.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:02 PM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
I'm surprised the CSR didn't offer to remove it for free. Anyway...

Sign in to your Amazon account. Go to:
https://www.amazon.com/myk

You can unsubscribe from there. Cost is $20 same as if you bought the PW without Special Offers.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:02 PM   #5
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
In exchange for a discounted price, a customer agrees to have special offers on his device. MobileRead will not allow help to be given to avoid the consequences of that agreement. Pay to have them removed and if it's impossible in this case, you'll have to abide by the terms of your agreement. Thread closed.
Advert
Closed Thread