Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-25-2021, 01:31 PM   #1
quatermass
quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
New Kindle week; where are the reviews?

Pretty sure that this is the first time that new Kindles weren't sent out for reviews ahead of release. I'd like to see what I paid for in some hands-on videos and tech site reviews. That's pretty standard, no?
quatermass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 01:34 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by quatermass View Post
Pretty sure that this is the first time that new Kindles weren't sent out for reviews ahead of release. I'd like to see what I paid for in some hands-on videos and tech site reviews. That's pretty standard, no?
It was the same with the new Kobos released last week, so it would seem to be a wider issue.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2021, 03:24 PM   #3
Claude_C
Evangelist
Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra & Kindle Paperwhite 11th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by quatermass View Post
We'll have to do our own review.

I'm suppose to get mine wednesday.

Not sure I will keep it. But I'm curious.
Claude_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 07:39 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Sometimes there is a review embargo until it ships. And by and large, most eReader reviews are nonsense in the first place.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 08:23 PM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Sometimes there is a review embargo until it ships. And by and large, most eReader reviews are nonsense in the first place.
Yes, but at least you can see the device in action, if it's a video review, or close-up photos if it's a text review.

I wonder why both Kobos and Kindles had a review embargo this time, if that's the reason? Strange...
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2021, 09:35 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Of course some of the video reviews are good, though unfortunately they don’t garner as much attention as the idiot ones.

I’ve queued up a trade-in so it will be another week before I’ll order. By then we’ll have some people here with actual devices in hand. I don’t think it matters much to me- I'm going to get one any case.
Old 10-26-2021, 10:12 AM   #7
quatermass
quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.quatermass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, the reviews are all over the place this morning. And, as always, very positive. I'll give the new Paperwhite a fair shot when it arrives tomorrow.
Old 10-26-2021, 12:16 PM   #8
mezzanine
Groupie
mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Clara, Aura HD
It's wild that the device is released and we still can't get the basic specs, like battery size, e-ink screen version, etc...

None of the mainstream reviewers are very useful because they lack experience with a wide variety of other e-ink devices to make comparisons.
mezzanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 12:16 PM   #9
Claude_C
Evangelist
Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Saw a quick unboxing today. Not much to see. But it’s a start.

Last edited by issybird; 10-26-2021 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Fixed link.
Old 10-26-2021, 01:56 PM   #10
quatermass

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
It's wild that the device is released and we still can't get the basic specs, like battery size, e-ink screen version, etc...

None of the mainstream reviewers are very useful because they lack experience with a wide variety of other e-ink devices to make comparisons.
If they had any longtime experience they likely wouldn't be raving about these devices. All they're doing is quoting the press release. No detailed review of the screen or contrast level. I guarantee the battery life will remain dismal, substantially less than advertised. Oh look, the power button is still on the bottom! MORONS!!! At least as many users have complained about the button location as have asked for a warm light, but one will make Amazon more money and the other will not. The screen randomly turning off while reading due to the weight of the device on the button while in a stand is a feature, I guess. Called "Take A Break."

Last edited by quatermass; 10-26-2021 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-26-2021, 02:06 PM   #11
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
If you want to see reviews before you buy into something, why do you buy it before seeing any reviews?

I'm sure it will be a fine device. But looking for reviews to tell you what you just bought after you have already bought it reminds me of the way Congress passes bills these days.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 02:40 PM   #12
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
https://www.theverge.com/22745670/am...e-reader-books

https://www.engadget.com/amazon-kind...130037090.html

https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/ama...e-2021-review/

Last edited by mewmartigan; 10-26-2021 at 02:45 PM.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 04:46 PM   #13
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
Seems faster:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTBg6RsMPNQ
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 07:43 PM   #14
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

One of the reviews says that you can set up credentials and WiFi using a nearby smartphone to share from the Kindle app (much as you can with Apple devices). Nice. Wonder if this can ever work with older devices with an update?

Also encouraged that it is faster. This is one of the complains I have with PW4 — can take 10 seconds to open a book after closing another one.

Somebody please tell me why a brighter screen is ‘better’. I’ve never had brightness set to max in any circumstance. What I’m expecting is ‘even’ lighting in all conditions.

I’m a warm light skeptic but looking forward to trying it.

I’ll be ordering Signature edition as soon as my trade-in discount is available.
Old 10-26-2021, 08:52 PM   #15
Claude_C
Evangelist