Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-16-2014, 03:00 AM   #1
quiris
Groupie
quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindles: KOA1, KV
Kindle Personal Documents are now in Amazon Cloud Drive

I received today a great e-mail:

Quote:
Dear Kindle Customer,

As a past user of personal documents on Kindle devices or reading apps, we are pleased to let you know about some improvements we've made to how personal documents work.

Personal documents are now in Amazon Cloud Drive: Starting today, all personal documents that you have archived in your Kindle Library will be available to access, delete, organize, and share from your Amazon Cloud Drive. You can see these documents in a new "My Send-to-Kindle Docs" folder alongside all of your saved content such as photos and personal videos.

There is no action required on your part. Your personal documents features will continue to work just as they have in the past. And as always, you can use Manage Your Kindle to see a list of your documents, re-deliver them to Kindle devices and free reading apps, delete them, or turn off auto-saving of documents to the cloud. Documents will be delivered just as they have in the past and you will continue to have 5 GB of free cloud storage for your personal documents. Just "Send Once, Read Everywhere."

Documents stored in their native format: Also starting today, new documents that you save to the cloud with Send to Kindle will be stored in their native format (e.g. MS Word, TXT) so you can access them anywhere from Amazon Cloud Drive.

Please note: Your usage of Amazon Cloud Drive is subject to the Amazon Cloud Drive Terms of Use.

Sincerely,
The Docs Team

To learn more about sending documents, news, blogs, and other web articles to your Kindle, please visit amazon.com/sendtokindle

To learn more about Amazon Cloud Drive features and apps, please visit amazon.com/clouddrive/learnmore
First observations:
  1. List of Personal Documents are limited to first 500 files (alphabetically). New files uploaded breaks 500 files limit, but older files are not accessible.
  2. Many files have incorrect extension .azw instead of .azw3.
  3. You still have to upload file with Send to Kindle if you want to deliver files to Kindle devices. Uploaded files via Amazon Cloud are not visible on amazon.com/myk site.
quiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:31 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I thought for a moment that this might mean that finally kindle pdocs could be sent to Kindle For Mac/PC - but no, it doesn't seem to.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2014, 03:42 AM   #3
quiris
Groupie
quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I thought for a moment that this might mean that finally kindle pdocs could be sent to Kindle For Mac/PC - but no, it doesn't seem to.
You can download AZW file and open it with Kindle for Mac/PC. Syncing the furthest page read works but it is considered as different book. I think, that Kindle for Mac/PC treats the book as EBOK instead of PDOC.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:04 AM   #4
u532
u532 began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Does this mean that all my azw3 files that i sideloaded via calibre will end up in the cloud the next time i switch off the airplane mode on my kindle? or only those that i send via "sendtomykindle@kindle.com"?

This whole cloud shananigans are making me kinda paranoid...
u532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:10 AM   #5
quiris
Groupie

You will see only azw/azw3 files sent before via sendtomykindle@kindle.com and available currently on Manage Your Kindle site: http://amazon.com/myk
Advert
Old 04-16-2014, 04:34 AM   #6
u532
u532 began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Thanks!
I am not a big admirer of clouds, I'm afraid. I don't mind the ones made from hydrogen, though.
u532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:49 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You beat me to it - I got the same email about an hour ago .

This is excellent news because it means that we can finally send KF8 files as personal docs.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:53 AM   #8
quiris
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This is excellent news because it means that we can finally send KF8 files as personal docs.
As I wrote in other thread you could send KF8 files before as well in a dual/hybrid mobi file (mobi6+KF8). Also notice: You still have to upload file with Send to Kindle if you want to deliver files to Kindle devices. Uploaded files via Amazon Cloud are not visible on amazon.com/myk site.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:01 AM   #9
Vmurph
Cat Whisperer
Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1, and iPhone XS Max
I'm not sure I understand. I'm a little foggy on the whole Cloud Drive thing. It's completely different from the Kindle Library, correct? Last I heard, the Cloud Drive was not accessible from e-ink Kindles, only Kindle Fires? So does that mean this new Cloud Drive update really only affects Kindle Fire owners?
Vmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:06 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiris View Post
As I wrote in other thread you could send KF8 files before as well in a dual/hybrid mobi file (mobi6+KF8).
Yes, but you couldn't send "pure" KF8 files, which are what I always generate myself.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:16 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmurph View Post
I'm not sure I understand. I'm a little foggy on the whole Cloud Drive thing. It's completely different from the Kindle Library, correct? Last I heard, the Cloud Drive was not accessible from e-ink Kindles, only Kindle Fires? So does that mean this new Cloud Drive update really only affects Kindle Fire owners?
I haven't tried it myself, but I think I've heard people say that you can access the Cloud Drive from the Kindle's web browser. Can anyone confirm whether or not that's the case?
Old 04-16-2014, 05:26 AM   #12
Vroo
Zealot
Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of Kindles, PocketBook HD3/InkpadX, inkBOOK, Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I haven't tried it myself, but I think I've heard people say that you can access the Cloud Drive from the Kindle's web browser. Can anyone confirm whether or not that's the case?
It doesn't work for me. I can log in into cloud drive but when I click "My Send-To-Kindle Docs" I see only "Loading" icon, nothing more. Anyway - all documents that sit there should also be in MYK and Cloud tab on Kindle Paperwhite.

I found out that deleting a file from Cloud Drive also deletes them from MYK.
Vroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:40 AM   #13
quiris
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroo View Post
I found out that deleting a file from Cloud Drive also deletes them from MYK.
The files stored in Cloud and in MYK are the same in different view, so if you delete file from Cloud it will be deleted from MYK and vice versa. Managing files from Cloud will be handy if you want bulk operation, for example delete multiple files. Also notice, Cloud has a Trash, so you can recover accidentally deleted file.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:07 AM   #14
HeatherA
Enthusiast
HeatherA began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard/Kindle PPW
Can anyone see their documents in the Cloud Drive app on their phone? I'm using the app on iOS 7. I see that I now have 10gb of storage, but can only see my photos and videos. I have to go to the web version in order to see my documents.
HeatherA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:12 AM   #15
quiris
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherA View Post
Can anyone see their documents in the Cloud Drive app on their phone?
Mobile apps are only for Photos and Videos: https://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht...cId=1000848741