Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-28-2021, 04:19 PM   #1
morty92222
Enthusiast
morty92222 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Calibre adding blank pages before and after KFX conversion

As title says. I attached photos to make it easier to understand what I am talking about.
Mobileread won't finish uploading!
https://ibb.co/smKjps0
https://ibb.co/PxKM8DR

I only select one option while converting which is "Create approximate page numbers." I am converting from epub to KFX.

Last edited by morty92222; 04-28-2021 at 04:22 PM.
morty92222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 04:30 PM   #2
morty92222
Enthusiast

So I disabled that option and the blank pages are still there but that one with the camera picture is gone.
Old 04-28-2021, 08:59 PM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
The 9-panel page flip view always starts showing the current page in the center. If the current page is the first or last one then the panels before/after are filled with dots in that view to indicate that there is nothing there. Those dotted panels do not represent not blank pages.

The camera icon is something that Amazon inserts when there is a link to a non-existent image in the book. That is most likely due to something wrong with the original file being converted from. I don't see how page numbering could be involved.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 09:43 PM   #4
morty92222
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The 9-panel page flip view always starts showing the current page in the center. If the current page is the first or last one then the panels before/after are filled with dots in that view to indicate that there is nothing there. Those dotted panels do not represent not blank pages.

The camera icon is something that Amazon inserts when there is a link to a non-existent image in the book. That is most likely due to something wrong with the original file being converted from. I don't see how page numbering could be involved.
Thank you for the explanation. When I disabled that option the camera picture disappeared. Is there a way to know what is missing? Also, I noticed some books have a cover that fills kindle screen and another that has blank area on right and left. How do I make the one that takes up the entire screen?
Old 04-29-2021, 10:00 AM   #5
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morty92222 View Post
When I disabled that option the camera picture disappeared. Is there a way to know what is missing?
Check for errors and warnings in the conversion log. If you are starting from an EPUB or AZW3 file you can open your source file in the calibre ebook editor and use the "Run check" feature to check for problems.

Quote:
TAlso, I noticed some books have a cover that fills kindle screen and another that has blank area on right and left. How do I make the one that takes up the entire screen?
To have a cover fill the screen you need to use an image with the same aspect ratio as the display on your device. Here is a blog post with some guidance: How to Choose the Right Book Cover Dimensions
Old 05-04-2021, 03:12 AM   #6
morty92222
Enthusiast

Quote:
Check for errors and warnings in the conversion log. If you are starting from an EPUB or AZW3 file you can open your source file in the calibre ebook editor and use the "Run check" feature to check for problems.

To have a cover fill the screen you need to use an image with the same aspect ratio as the display on your device. Here is a blog post with some guidance: How to Choose the Right Book Cover Dimensions
Thank you for clarifying. I got the cover right. However, calibre still put that weird image at the end of KFX. I used it to check for errors or broken links but everything checks out.

Any idea how to further investigate?

Thank you in advance.
Old 05-04-2021, 10:56 AM   #7
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
However, calibre still put that weird image at the end of KFX. I used it to check for errors or broken links but everything checks out.

Any idea how to further investigate?
Try disabling the option to replace the cover during conversion. (UncheckCheck "Use cover from source file" in the Metadata tab.) I have seen cases where replacing the cover causes problems if the cover image is linked to from within the book's text or its table of contents.

Last edited by jhowell; 06-02-2021 at 10:08 AM. Reason: fix mistake
Old 05-04-2021, 02:14 PM   #8
morty92222
Enthusiast

Quote:
Try disabling the option to replace the cover during conversion. (Uncheck "Use cover from source file" in the Metadata tab.) I have seen cases where replacing the cover causes problems if the cover image is linked to from within the book's text or its table of contents.
Unfortunately, I has just tried that and that broken link image still shows up at the end of the ebook. Is its position (the very end) signifies anything?
Old 05-04-2021, 03:05 PM   #9
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Another idea is to try converting to EPUB, even if your original book is in that format, and then check the resulting file for problems.
Old 05-04-2021, 03:09 PM   #10
morty92222
Enthusiast

Quote:
Another idea is to try converting to EPUB, even if your original book is in that format, and then check the resulting file for problems.
This is a great idea. I'll try this as soon as I get back home. Thank you.
Old 05-09-2021, 09:45 AM   #11
morty92222
Enthusiast

Quote:
So, I reconverted the KFX to epub and found out the following:
1. Calibre adds an entire page at the very end that got an svg and img attribute.
2. It adds a picture to images folder (the camera).

Here is the code in the new page. Any idea why is this being inserted?

Code:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xmlns:epub="http://www.idpf.org/2007/ops" xml:lang="ar">

<head>
  <title>part0020</title>
  <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="../stylesheet.css"/>
  <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="../page_styles.css"/>
</head>

<body class="class">

<div xml:lang="en" class="class_sv">

<div class="class_sv1">

<svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" version="1.1" preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet" viewBox="0 0 48 48" height="100%" width="100%">
        <image xlink:href="image_rsrcV1.jpg" height="48" width="48"/>
      </svg>

</div>

</div>

</body>

</html>
Old 05-09-2021, 11:39 AM   #12
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
So, I reconverted the KFX to epub and found out the following:
1. Calibre adds an entire page at the very end that got an svg and img attribute.
2. It adds a picture to images folder (the camera).

Here is the code in the new page. Any idea why is this being inserted?
It looks to me like an artifact left over from a failure to properly replace the cover in the book. More information is needed to figure out exactly what is going wrong.

The conversion log from when the original file is converted to KFX may contain clues. If you post that here I will take a look.

If that does not reveal the source of the problem then the original file being converted may be needed. There is a calibre plugin that can obfuscate the text of a book so that it can be posted to MobileRead without violating copyright. See ScrambleEbook: Getting help with copyrighted books
Old 05-14-2021, 12:26 AM   #13
morty92222
Enthusiast

Quote:
It looks to me like an artifact left over from a failure to properly replace the cover in the book. More information is needed to figure out exactly what is going wrong.

The conversion log from when the original file is converted to KFX may contain clues. If you post that here I will take a look.

If that does not reveal the source of the problem then the original file being converted may be needed. There is a calibre plugin that can obfuscate the text of a book so that it can be posted to MobileRead without violating copyright. See ScrambleEbook: Getting help with copyrighted books
Are you talking about the files I can choose to output somewhere in the "Debug" menu? These logs got 4 folders and 1 file. I attached a screenshot. Please let me know which one you're talking about.

Thank you for trying to help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-05-13 at 11.26.23 PM.png
Views:	160
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	187118  
Old 05-14-2021, 09:30 AM   #14
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Are you talking about the files I can choose to output somewhere in the "Debug" menu? These logs got 4 folders and 1 file. I attached a screenshot. Please let me know which one you're talking about.

Thank you for trying to help.
The conversion log is something different. From the KFX Output plugin documentation:

Quote:
You can view the conversion job log after an error occurs to see additional information on why the conversion failed. To access the log, either click on the "Jobs: 0" label in the lower right corner of the calibre window or use the Alt-Shift-J keyboard shortcut to activate the Jobs dialog. Select the failed conversion job from the list (the most recent will be first) and click the "Show job details" button. To copy the log to the clipboard under Windows, click within the log text then press Ctrl-A (select all) and Ctrl-C (copy). You can then paste it wherever you like.
Old 05-21-2021, 01:19 AM   #15
morty92222
Enthusiast

Quote:
The conversion log is something different. From the KFX Output plugin documentation:
Thank you very much for offering to take a look. Here is the log:
Code:
Convert book 1 of 1 (NameOfBook)
Conversion options changed from defaults:
  verbose: 2
  debug_pipeline: '/Users/MyName/Desktop/Debug Logs'
  read_metadata_from_opf: '/var/folders/w3/xrp8mfyn2vxgnm8lg68wg2t40000gn/C/calibre_5.18.0_tmp_wfy43u1e/fcz0ii2k.opf'
  approximate_pages: True
  cover: '/var/folders/w3/xrp8mfyn2vxgnm8lg68wg2t40000gn/C/calibre_5.18.0_tmp_wfy43u1e/i7p7f5fz.jpeg'
  output_profile: 'kindle'
Resolved conversion options
calibre version: 5.18.0
{'approximate_pages': True,
 'asciiize': False,
 'author_sort': None,
 'authors': None,
 'base_font_size': 0.0,
 'book_producer': None,
 'cde_type_pdoc': False,
 'change_justification': 'original',
 'chapter': "//*[((name()='h1' or name()='h2') and re:test(., "
            "'\\s*((chapter|book|section|part)\\s+)|((prolog|prologue|epilogue)(\\s+|$))', "
            "'i')) or @class = 'chapter']",
 'chapter_mark': 'pagebreak',
 'comments': None,
 'cover': '/var/folders/w3/xrp8mfyn2vxgnm8lg68wg2t40000gn/C/calibre_5.18.0_tmp_wfy43u1e/i7p7f5fz.jpeg',
 'debug_pipeline': '/Users/MyName/Desktop/Debug Logs',
 'dehyphenate': True,
 'delete_blank_paragraphs': True,
 'disable_font_rescaling': False,
 'duplicate_links_in_toc': False,
 'embed_all_fonts': False,
 'embed_font_family': None,
 'enable_heuristics': False,
 'enable_timeout': False,
 'expand_css': False,
 'extra_css': None,
 'filter_css': '',
 'fix_indents': True,
 'font_size_mapping': None,
 'format_scene_breaks': True,
 'html_unwrap_factor': 0.4,
 'input_encoding': None,
 'input_profile': <calibre.customize.profiles.InputProfile object at 0x111c45310>,
 'insert_blank_line': False,
 'insert_blank_line_size': 0.5,
 'insert_metadata': False,
 'isbn': None,
 'italicize_common_cases': True,
 'keep_ligatures': False,
 'language': None,
 'level1_toc': None,
 'level2_toc': None,
 'level3_toc': None,
 'line_height': 0.0,
 'linearize_tables': False,
 'margin_bottom': 5.0,
 'margin_left': 5.0,
 'margin_right': 5.0,
 'margin_top': 5.0,
 'markup_chapter_headings': True,
 'max_toc_links': 50,
 'minimum_line_height': 120.0,
 'no_chapters_in_toc': False,
 'no_inline_navbars': False,
 'number_of_pages_field': '(auto)',
 'output_profile': <calibre.customize.profiles.KindleOutput object at 0x111c45e20>,
 'page_breaks_before': '/',
 'prefer_metadata_cover': False,
 'pretty_print': True,
 'pubdate': None,
 'publisher': None,
 'quality_report': False,
 'rating': None,
 'read_metadata_from_opf': '/var/folders/w3/xrp8mfyn2vxgnm8lg68wg2t40000gn/C/calibre_5.18.0_tmp_wfy43u1e/fcz0ii2k.opf',
 'remove_fake_margins': True,
 'remove_first_image': False,
 'remove_paragraph_spacing': False,
 'remove_paragraph_spacing_indent_size': 1.5,
 'renumber_headings': True,
 'replace_scene_breaks': '',
 'search_replace': '[]',
 'series': None,
 'series_index': None,
 'show_kpr_logs': False,
 'smarten_punctuation': False,
 'sr1_replace': None,
 'sr1_search': None,
 'sr2_replace': None,
 'sr2_search': None,
 'sr3_replace': None,
 'sr3_search': None,
 'start_reading_at': None,
 'subset_embedded_fonts': False,
 'tags': None,
 'timestamp': None,
 'title': None,
 'title_sort': None,
 'toc_filter': None,
 'toc_threshold': 6,
 'transform_css_rules': '[]',
 'unsmarten_punctuation': False,
 'unwrap_lines': True,
 'use_auto_toc': False,
 'verbose': 2}
InputFormatPlugin: EPUB Input running
on /var/folders/w3/xrp8mfyn2vxgnm8lg68wg2t40000gn/C/calibre_5.18.0_tmp_wfy43u1e/ilee8dc0.epub
Found HTML cover OPS/titlepage.xhtml
Input debug saved to: /Users/MyName/Desktop/Debug Logs/input
Parsing all content...
Parsing OPS/titleFull.xhtml ...
Parsing OPS/bismillah.xhtml ...
Parsing OPS/ch0010.xhtml ...
Parsing OPS/titlepage.xhtml ...
Parsing OPS/ch0001.xhtml ...
Parsing OPS/ch0013.xhtml ...
Parsing OPS/ch0004.xhtml ...
Parsing OPS/ch0008.xhtml ...
Parsing OPS/ch0009.xhtml ...
Parsing OPS/styles.css ...
Parsing OPS/ch0006.xhtml ...
Parsing OPS/ch0011.xhtml ...
Parsing OPS/titleHalf.xhtml ...
Parsing OPS/ch0002.xhtml ...
Parsing OPS/endnotes.xhtml ...
Parsing OPS/ch0005.xhtml ...
Parsing OPS/copyright.xhtml ...
Parsing OPS/toc.xhtml ...
Parsing OPS/ch0007.xhtml ...
Parsing OPS/ch0012.xhtml ...
Parsing OPS/ch0003.xhtml ...
Reading TOC from NCX...
Parsed HTML written to: /Users/MyName/Desktop/Debug Logs/parsed
Merging user specified metadata...
Detecting structure...
Structured HTML written to: /Users/MyName/Desktop/Debug Logs/structure
Flattening CSS and remapping font sizes...
Property: No ":" after name found: center [1:1: center]
Property: No property value found: center [1:1: center]
CSSStyleDeclaration: Syntax Error in Property: center
Source base font size is 12.00000pt
Removing fake margins...
Found 27 items of level: div_2
Found 50 items of level: div_3
Found 3 items of level: div_1
Found 655 items of level: p_2
Found 10 items of level: p_4
Found 3 items of level: div_4
Found 4 items of level: p_5
Found 3 items of level: div_5
Found 8 items of level: p_6
Found 1 items of level: p_3
Ignoring level div_5
Ignoring level p_6
Ignoring level p_5
Ignoring level div_4
Ignoring level p_3
Ignoring level p_4
div_2  left margin stats: Counter({'': 2})
div_2  right margin stats: Counter({'': 2})
div_3  left margin stats: Counter({'': 29, '0': 21})
div_3  right margin stats: Counter({'': 29, '0': 21})
div_1  left margin stats: Counter({'': 1})
div_1  right margin stats: Counter({'': 1})
p_2  left margin stats: Counter({'auto': 653, '0': 2})
p_2  right margin stats: Counter({'auto': 653, '0': 2})
Removing level p_2 left margin of: auto
Removing level p_2 right margin of: auto
Cleaning up manifest...
Trimming unused files from manifest...
Trimming 'OPS/toc.ncx' from manifest
Processed HTML written to: /Users/MyName/Desktop/Debug Logs/processed
Creating KFX Output...
Software versions: KFX Output 1.52.0, calibre 5.18, macOS-10.16-x86_64-i386-64bit
KFX Output plugin help is available at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272407
Rescaling image from 1870x263 to 501x70 OPS/nameofImage.png
Rescaling image from 1600x2560 to 385x616 cover.jpeg
Splitting markup on page breaks and flow limits, if any...
The cover image has an id != "cover". Renaming to work around bug in Nook Color
Successfully converted input format to EPUB
Converting /var/folders/w3/xrp8mfyn2vxgnm8lg68wg2t40000gn/C/calibre_5.18.0_tmp_wfy43u1e/9fb02hgn.epub
Converting /var/folders/w3/xrp8mfyn2vxgnm8lg68wg2t40000gn/C/calibre_5.18.0_tmp_wfy43u1e/9fb02hgn.epub to KPF
Preparing book /var/folders/w3/xrp8mfyn2vxgnm8lg68wg2t40000gn/C/calibre_5.18.0_tmp_wfy43u1e/9fb02hgn.epub for conversion
Added display:inline to 1 br in OPS/ch0001.xhtml
Added display:inline to 3 br in OPS/copyright.xhtml
Launching Kindle Previewer 3 (3.52.1) - CLI

Kindle Previewer 3.52.1 Copyright (c) Amazon.com

Checking specified arguments.
Pre-processing in progress.
Processing 1/1 book(s).
Book converted with warnings! : /private/var/folders/w3/xrp8mfyn2vxgnm8lg68wg2t40000gn/C/calibre_5.18.0_tmp_wfy43u1e/oeo8yho5/a28lr34jff2d7vlzrocg/f9fb02hgn.epub
Post-processing in progress.
Writing output/log files to /private/var/folders/w3/xrp8mfyn2vxgnm8lg68wg2t40000gn/C/calibre_5.18.0_tmp_wfy43u1e/oeo8yho5/a28lr34jff2d7vlzrocg/0000

************ Kindle Previewer Conversion Guidance ************
Warning W28001: CSS style specified in content is not supported by Kindle readers. Removing the CSS property: 'overflow' in file: /private/var/folders/w3/xrp8mfyn2vxgnm8lg68wg2t40000gn/T/7d62b86d-89fa-4776-b202-15cb78e6e571/cTemp/mTemp/mobi-eMCK9b/stylesheet.css

Warning W28003: Value specified for CSS property in content is not supported by Kindle readers. Please refer Kindle Publishing Guidelines about usage of property: 'position: relative' in file: /private/var/folders/w3/xrp8mfyn2vxgnm8lg68wg2t40000gn/T/7d62b86d-89fa-4776-b202-15cb78e6e571/cTemp/mTemp/mobi-eMCK9b/stylesheet.css

Warning W14010: media file not found  /private/var/folders/w3/xrp8mfyn2vxgnm8lg68wg2t40000gn/T/7d62b86d-89fa-4776-b202-15cb78e6e571/cTemp/mTemp/mobi-eMCK9b/OPS/cover.jpeg

Warning W14019: Cover is too small :   /private/var/folders/w3/xrp8mfyn2vxgnm8lg68wg2t40000gn/T/7d62b86d-89fa-4776-b202-15cb78e6e571/cTemp/mTemp/mobi-eMCK9b/cover.jpeg

Status Book converted with warnings.

Successfully converted EPUB to KPF
Converting /var/folders/w3/xrp8mfyn2vxgnm8lg68wg2t40000gn/C/calibre_5.18.0_tmp_wfy43u1e/8xsu80rc.kpf
Processing container: /var/folders/w3/xrp8mfyn2vxgnm8lg68wg2t40000gn/C/calibre_5.18.0_tmp_wfy43u1e/8xsu80rc.kpf
Removed 1 KDF SQLite file fingerprint(s)
Created 132 approximate page numbers (21 for chapters)
kfxgen version: kfxlib-20210517
Features: CanonicalFormat-1, ar-reflow-language-1, kfxgen.textBlock-1, max_id-787, reflow-style-10
Metadata: ASIN=IDF95OH9SUFWYTYJ5L7ND5CQ0DBUA9I6, asset_id=CR!ZSJYIEHFCSG6K5RLRKTC5Q6F2ANS, author="AuthorName", book_id=XBl1Em0YRBGc175hXrLGbA0, cde_content_type=EBOK, content_id=IDF95OH9SUFWYTYJ5L7ND5CQ0DBUA9I6, cover_image=385x616, creator_version=3.52.1, file_creator=KPR, is_sample=False, language=ar, nested_span=enabled, override_kindle_font=True, pages=132, publisher="PublisherName", reading_orders=1, selection=enabled, title="NameOfBook"
Successfully converted to KFX
KFX output written to /var/folders/w3/xrp8mfyn2vxgnm8lg68wg2t40000gn/C/calibre_5.18.0_tmp_wfy43u1e/c97ta3xg.kfx
I noticed this warning:
Code:
Warning W14010: media file not found
But I don't understand how if the cover is actually there!

Any insight is appreciated.
Thank you.

Tags
calibre, conversion, kfx, kindle