Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Which do you find more pleasent to read a novel on?
LCD is easier on my eyes 3 2.86%
Front lit EInk is easier on my eyes 82 78.10%
No difference 20 19.05%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-29-2019, 06:56 AM   #1
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
eink vs LCD for reading a novel poll

One of the discussions made me wonder what members experiences are. So here is a poll.

Please only vote if you have used both LCD (a tablet or phone) AND an eink reader with that has built in front lighting, when reading a novel.

Please, no comments about blue light being bad, people having the screen too bright, the poll doesn't have enough options ... Personal experiences are fine, but please no generalizations about members in general.

Thank you.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:02 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Makes no difference to me. I've read on different eInk Readers and my iPad and iPhone as well as a laptop before I got my first Reader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2019, 07:26 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
No difference whatsoever when it comes to being "easier on my eyes," but I generally prefer reading (novels or otherwise) on one of my lcd tablets.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:32 AM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
For me (personally, not speaking for anyone else) front-lit eInk readers are easier on the eyes.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:49 AM   #5
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
I voted no difference as the overall average of my experience.
Indoor, I see no difference.
Outdoors, I find eInk more comfortable, as it is working with the natural light rather than fighting against it and so contrast is much better.
At night, when I do most of my reading, I find LCD (actually AMOLED) more comfortable as I can turn the brightness down much further than I can on my eInk reader.
If I had to pick one, I would have voted LCD, as I spend far more time reading at night than outside.

Last edited by murraypaul; 10-29-2019 at 09:11 AM.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2019, 09:31 AM   #6
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
For me (personally, not speaking for anyone else) front-lit eInk readers are easier on the eyes.
Ditto
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 10:06 AM   #7
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I prefer e-ink and voted for e-ink, though I do think neither is 'easier on the eyes'.

I also like the trend of orange light for night reading, though I am dubious of the idea that blue light is destroying our circadian rhythms.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 10:41 AM   #8
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Voted eink because I prefer the overall device attached to the screen as well. My Forma has the color schemes I want (white on black and black on white) while also giving me better control over margins and line spacing etc.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 12:52 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I voted for eInk. I tend to read for long periods and find that reading on an LCD for 4 hours leaves my eyes feeling itchy while reading for the same time on an eInk doesn't. My personal experience with my eyes. Your mileage may will vary.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 12:57 PM   #10
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Please vote only on whether it easier on your eyes or not.

Thank you.

I voted for EInk being easier on my eyes.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 01:23 PM   #11
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Please vote only on whether it easier on your eyes or not.

Thank you.

I voted for EInk being easier on my eyes.
You might wish to ask a mod to change the poll question then to specify it’s only the interaction of the screen and the eyes.

Perhaps “Are your eyes bothered by eink, LCD, or neither”. As it is right now it seems to be asking for the overall experience.
Old 10-29-2019, 02:29 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The options seem pretty clear to me as written. They're not vague at all. "'A' is easier on my eyes; 'B' is easier on my eyes; there's no difference." Anybody confused about that might trying to be confused.
Old 10-29-2019, 02:46 PM   #13
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Do migraines count as being harder on the eyes?

Usually, I can read just fine on either LCD or e-ink. It's only when I've got migraine spells that I find e-ink (or good 'ol paper) more comfortable.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 03:04 PM   #14
MGlitch
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
The options seem pretty clear to me as written. They're not vague at all. "'A' is easier on my eyes; 'B' is easier on my eyes; there's no difference." Anybody confused about that might trying to be confused.
Which is why I didn’t suggest a revision to the options just to the more expansive question.

Language can be precise if John is looking for only one specific aspect of eink vs LCD the question should inform the answerer. Otherwise people are going to, and have, voted in ways which run counter to the information being sought.
Old 10-29-2019, 03:37 PM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Otherwise people are going to, and have, voted in ways which run counter to the information being sought.
Which happens around here regardless of the specified parameters. Many people give answers to questions they want to have been asked, and not the questions they were actually asked. Same as it ever was.

But the bottom line is that we rarely edit MobileRead polls after the fact. The bell can't be unrung--votes were already cast.