Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-08-2019, 06:05 PM   #646
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Wordnet English 3.1

Dictionary: Wordnet 3.1
Language: English
Release Date: 2011.05.26
Word Count: 147478

Generated from Wordnet 3.1 database files -> dictd format -> Stardict -> Kobo.

Stardict and xdxf versions attached in case anyone wants to merge this with other dictionaries or play with the formatting and make it look nicer.

Update (2019-10-18): Used makedict utility rather than pyglossary to manage conversion from dictd to stardict format to workaround bugs in sdcv that make synonym look ups slow and where sdcv only returns one definition when there are multiple definitions for a word (useful for koreader). Attached xdxf version used to add <pre> tags to Kobo version to maintain original formatting. All files updated.
Update (2019-10-14): Uploaded source dictd file used in conversion.
Attached Files
File Type: zip dictd-en-wordnet-3.1.zip (10.31 MB, 345 views)
File Type: zip dicthtml-en-wordnet-3.1.zip (11.70 MB, 357 views)
File Type: zip stardict-en-wordnet-3.1.zip (11.00 MB, 495 views)
File Type: zip xdxf-en-wordnet-3.1.zip (9.00 MB, 347 views)

Last edited by rtiangha; 10-18-2019 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Updated all source dicts used in conversion.
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 06:26 PM   #647
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English v0.52

Dictionary: GNU CIDE v0.52
Release Date: 2018.01.28
Word Count: 176995

Generated from GCIDE v0.52 database files -> dictd format -> Stardict -> Kobo.

Stardict and xdxf versions attached in case anyone wants to merge this with other dictionaries or play with the formatting and make it look nicer.

Kobo: dicthtml-en-gcide-0.52.zip
Stardict: stardict-en-gcide-0.52.zip
dictd: dictd-en-gcide-0.52.zip
xdxf: xdxf-en-gcide-0.52.zip

Update (2019-10-18): Used makedict utility rather than pyglossary to manage conversion from dictd to stardict format to workaround bugs in sdcv that make synonym look ups slow and where sdcv only returns one definition when there are multiple definitions for a word (useful for koreader). Attached xdxf version used to add <pre> tags to Kobo version to maintain original formatting. All files updated.
Update (2019-10-14): Fixed a UTF-8 error that was preventing all the words from being indexed correctly in the Stardict conversion; resulted in the headcount increasing. New versions uploaded (links are the same) and have also posted the dictd version, which is closer to the original source used in conversion.

Last edited by rtiangha; 10-18-2019 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Updated all source dicts used in conversion.
Advert
Old 10-17-2019, 04:48 PM   #648
Isomorpheus
Isomorpheus began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtiangha View Post
Dictionary: Wordnet 3.1
Release Date: 2011.05.26
Word Count: 147478

Generated from Wordnet 3.1 database files -> dictd format -> Stardict -> Kobo.

Stardict version attached in case anyone wants to merge this with other dictionaries or play with the formatting and make it look nicer.

Update (2019-10-14): Uploaded source dictd file used in conversion.
This doesn't seem to work with Koreader. Testing with sdcv it's also broken. Just a heads up
Isomorpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 02:26 AM   #649
bruceas
bruceas began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo libra
Is there a better Italian dictionary than the one installed? (Only Italian, no translation).

Thanks.
bruceas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 10:22 AM   #650
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceas View Post
Is there a better Italian dictionary than the one installed? (Only Italian, no translation).

Thanks.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=196931

change the dictionary file name in micthtml-it.zip and use the patch Change dicthtml strings to micthtml to avoid to uninstall it each time that You synchronize Your Kobo.

Last edited by ps67; 10-18-2019 at 10:35 AM.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2019, 03:32 PM   #651
rtiangha
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isomorpheus View Post
This doesn't seem to work with Koreader. Testing with sdcv it's also broken. Just a heads up
Yeah, it's a bug with sdcv. For whatever reason, sdcv is REALLY slow when looking up words with synonyms (which you can work around with in penelope by reprocessing the stardict dictionary using the --flatten-synonyms option which creates separate entries for each synonym. However, sdcv also has another bug where if a word has multiple definitions, it'll only return one result and ignore the rest, which you can then work around using the --merge-definitions option to create one giant entry instead). I originally used pyglossary to perform the conversions, but it had limited options and the stardict output resulted in the above. The Kobo version was fine.

That said, I have since managed to track down a Windows version of the old xdxf makedict utility, and it creates none of those problems so I used that to reconvert everything and things work rather well now. So go grab an updated copy.

I also added some <pre> tags to the Kobo version to try and maintain the original formatting of the dictd version so that things don't look like one giant blob of text. I don't have the time to style things myself beyond that simple thing but other people are welcome to try. If people don't like the resulting look because of wrapping or line breaks, an easy thing to try is shrinking the font size of the dictionary (in koreader through Advance Settings (DDICT_FONT_SIZE) or in Kobo Nickel via the "Dictionary text font-family/font-size/line-height" patch) so that the entire text block fits properly inside the dictionary window. Else, you'll need to figure out how to add your own HTML markup to the definitions to make it look the way you want (use the xdxf version as a basis to make your edits (or make your own using the dictd version as the source and using makedict to convert it to xdxf format) and when done, use makedict to convert it to stardict format (and then Penelope to convert to Kobo format if you want) and that way you won't need to worry about regenerating indexes).

Anyway, I've updated both my WordNet 3.1 and GCIDE 0.52 posts with all the source files in case people want to play around.

Last edited by rtiangha; 10-18-2019 at 11:34 PM.
Old 10-20-2019, 02:09 PM   #652
maranix
maranix began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Talking

Hi,
Could someone convert a .bgl file into a Kobo dictionary please?

I recently bought a Kobo Aura and I would like to have a ro-ro dictionary, as I have on my phone. I use this file with GoldenDict.
I tried myself to do it but the only thing I managed to do was to convert the .bgl file to stardict files. To make Penelope work I think I need to install Win10 SDK or something...
I was thinking maybe someone with a working environment could do it for me?

Many thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: rar Victors_DEX_98.rar (5.10 MB, 216 views)
maranix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 11:42 PM   #653
rtiangha
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by maranix View Post
Hi,
Could someone convert a .bgl file into a Kobo dictionary please?

I recently bought a Kobo Aura and I would like to have a ro-ro dictionary, as I have on my phone. I use this file with GoldenDict.
I tried myself to do it but the only thing I managed to do was to convert the .bgl file to stardict files. To make Penelope work I think I need to install Win10 SDK or something...
I was thinking maybe someone with a working environment could do it for me?

Many thanks.
Here you go, but I haven't tested it. Let me know if it works.

Edit: Apparently it didn't; see Semwise's post below.

Last edited by rtiangha; 10-21-2019 at 11:58 PM. Reason: File didn't work.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:25 AM   #654
maranix
maranix began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtiangha View Post
Here you go, but I haven't tested it. Let me know if it works.
It didn't worked the first time but after I installed Koreader it worked, font needs to be change though. Anyway I think I will use Koreader.
Thanks a lot for your time.
maranix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:29 PM   #655
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by maranix View Post
It didn't worked
There it is necessary to correct the source before converting.

try
Attached Files
File Type: zip dicthtml-ro.zip (5.37 MB, 225 views)
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 04:27 PM   #656
skriker
skriker began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Updated English-Czech dictionary

Updated version of English-Czech dictionary.
Attached Files
File Type: zip dicthtml-en-cs.zip (2.97 MB, 216 views)
skriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 04:46 AM   #657
HolyAura
Groupie
HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Is there a way to ensure that I will not lose my custom dictionaries when my Kobo syncs? I like to sync with wifi so that I can update my ereader with new books or articles from pocket. It is very annoying when the custom dictionaries disappear after I sync.
HolyAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 10:09 AM   #658
NamKK
NamKK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NamKK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NamKK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NamKK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NamKK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NamKK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NamKK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NamKK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NamKK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NamKK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NamKK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kindle Oasis 2019
I tried to send a msg to EbokJunkie to ask about his instructions for steps to follow to convert a dictionary to Kobo format, but I couldn't. Perhaps because I am a newbie, so I can't send others msg? (His post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=19)

By the way, in his guide, EbokJunkie said:
"For example, you have Norwegian-English dictionary in Stardict format, you're intending to read Norwegian book and want to look up that dictionary on Kobo reader.
Stardict dictionary consists of three files with extensions dict (or dict.dz), idx, and ifo. All three files have the same name. Compress all three files into a zip file with name of your choice, let it be dict.zip. Put dict.zip into any folder, let it be C:\Kobo dictionaries."

I would like to ask that, if he ever come here again, is the process any different if I look to convert a .mobi file (rather a stardict format) to a Kobo format? If anyone could help, I would really appreciate.

Thanks,
NamKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 11:15 AM   #659
rtiangha
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyAura View Post
Is there a way to ensure that I will not lose my custom dictionaries when my Kobo syncs? I like to sync with wifi so that I can update my ereader with new books or articles from pocket. It is very annoying when the custom dictionaries disappear after I sync.
Not sure if you managed to figure it out yet, but if not, you'll need to use kobopatch to apply the "Change dicthtml strings to micthtml" patch and then rename all of your dictionary files to start with 'micthtml' rather than dicthtml. You'd then need to reapply the patch after every software update.

Last edited by rtiangha; 11-12-2019 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:26 AM   #660
rtiangha
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NamKK View Post
I tried to send a msg to EbokJunkie to ask about his instructions for steps to follow to convert a dictionary to Kobo format, but I couldn't. Perhaps because I am a newbie, so I can't send others msg? (His post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=19)

By the way, in his guide, EbokJunkie said:
"For example, you have Norwegian-English dictionary in Stardict format, you're intending to read Norwegian book and want to look up that dictionary on Kobo reader.
Stardict dictionary consists of three files with extensions dict (or dict.dz), idx, and ifo. All three files have the same name. Compress all three files into a zip file with name of your choice, let it be dict.zip. Put dict.zip into any folder, let it be C:\Kobo dictionaries."

I would like to ask that, if he ever come here again, is the process any different if I look to convert a .mobi file (rather a stardict format) to a Kobo format? If anyone could help, I would really appreciate.

Thanks,
Penelope can't translate a .mobi based dictionary to Kobo format directly. You'd need to convert that mobi file to an intermediary format first. I haven't heard of a program that can do this automatically yet, but some people have found some success in converting a mobi dictionary to tabfile format (basically a plain textfile containing headword and definition, tab delimited) and then using something like Pyglossary or stardict-tools to convert it into Stardict format before using Penelope to convert it to Kobo format. It's not trivial and currently a very manual process. You're better off trying to find out if a version of that mobi dictionary exists in another input format that Pyglossary supports, as that would make things a lot easier.

Tags
kobo dictionaries