Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-02-2019, 06:55 AM   #5116
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I had a poor October, thanks to the GollanczFest sale. I think I bought six books, three of which were on my wishlist, and the other three I went and searched for. You'd think I'd learn from previous GollanczFest sales and the books I still haven't read from those.

It was also a very slow month for reading, with most of month taken up by one (very good) book, which I didn't even pay for (it was a KOLL loan).

On the whole, though, I'm fairly happy with where I am. My TBR has taken a hit, but it's because I've been less constrained on the freebies, not because I'm buying too much. The freebies might end up just being clutter and never get read, but so what? They were free.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 04:17 AM   #5117
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I had a good October. 15 books read and only 5 bought. But I'm only down on the year so far by pruning my TBR of some 'will never read' books.

On the plus side, I'm happy with very nearly all my purchases this year.
Eight books bought in November, and eleven books read. Still going in the right direction.

With one book bought today, my TBR currently stands at exactly 1,000. Towards the end of November I actually dipped below 1,000!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2019, 04:27 PM   #5118
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
500+ books on sale cyber Monday. Kobo, Kindle, apple, nook pretty much the same books. I bought a few books I was wanting but not willing to pay full price for but I am proud to say I did not go crazy. My addiction was not in full force. I just picked up a few. Love buying books and watching the downloads. Normally I go crazy on book sales
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:14 AM   #5119
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I did OK on the sales, but I've just bought my third full-price kindle book in a row. I must be ill or something. (I am reading them immediately.)

I'm at over 50 purchases for the year now, which I think is probably too many, even if most of them have been heavily discounted.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:00 AM   #5120
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I did OK on the sales, but I've just bought my third full-price kindle book in a row. I must be ill or something. (I am reading them immediately.)
Total pass, at least from me. Reading is for love; it's not supposed to be a hairshirt or straitjacket where you must read this before you can read that, when that is what you really, really, really want to read right now.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2019, 09:20 AM   #5121
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Total pass, at least from me. Reading is for love; it's not supposed to be a hairshirt or straitjacket where you must read this before you can read that, when that is what you really, really, really want to read right now.
I agree with issybird. Reading is fun and relaxing. If it ever ceases to be fun I will stop reading.
Apach
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:16 AM   #5122
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Despite reading a lot of books for November (14), I seem to be still acquiring faster than I read. On the plus side, they were significant markdowns of titles either in series that I read or authors that I read (waited 3 or 4 years for specials on the rest of the Stormlight series) so at least my random purchases have reduced. I did much better with Audiobooks. Only bought 1, although I did acquire several novellas in return for a review. Oh, and I bought no ebooks/audiobooks during the Black Friday through Cyber Monday sales frenzies.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 03:31 PM   #5123
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I completely agree.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:04 PM   #5124
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I tend to be in the why not read both of them camp. It's only a couple of hours for most books.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 03:32 AM   #5125
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I tend to be in the why not read both of them camp. It's only a couple of hours for most books.
So only a little over four months of sixteen hours a day reading to get through my TBR.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:17 AM   #5126
DrNefario
Wizard

I was mostly kidding. I am totally fine with buying a full-price book to read immediately if I think the full price is reasonable. I think it's probably better than buying bargains that sit unread for years, and if I could change all my buying to what I want to read next, I'd be a lot better off.

I have started the third book, and I didn't buy it until I was ready to start it, as with the previous two.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:23 AM   #5127
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
So only a little over four months of sixteen hours a day reading to get through my TBR.
Assuming that no purchases are made during that time?
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:36 PM   #5128
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Assuming that no purchases are made during that time?
I am sure he can go four months without purchasing an eBook or ten.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 02:09 PM   #5129
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

I have to confess that I don't think I've gone a month without purchasing an ebook for well over ten years.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:53 AM   #5130
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
I have to confess that I don't think I've gone a month without purchasing an ebook for well over ten years.
I think after the Kobacalypse, your long term trend became established. I'm going to be much better after the holidays as I need to save money for the inevitable vet bills my hoard of cats will produce in the next few years (1 is 14, 4 are 13).
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote