Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-23-2019, 05:38 PM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
300 dpi
10. Carta screen (faster and better contrast)
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 05:40 PM   #47
Paperbackstash
Addict
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4 (Inis Odyssey) PW3 (Moonsliver), Fire HD 2ndG (Nostromo)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
features please guys.

useful new features please , for users not dumb enough to drop their reader in the toilet, or mad enough to want to read under waterfalls, that cannot be found in older models with SD cards

I completely disagree with you since waterproofing was one of my top wanted features - but your post cracked me up. I'm not picturing one of those commercials with someone flipping their wet hair back lounging under a waterfall reading. I'm kind of surprised none of the e-reader companies have done something like this already as an ad. They like to show enough of the paradise water features.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:15 PM   #48
John F
Wizard
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
10. Carta screen (faster and better contrast)
I believe the first H2O had a Carta screen and an external card slot.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:34 PM   #49
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
That list is also at 9, not 10 since reading left handed is not a new feature in any of the current Kobo line.
MGlitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 09:58 PM   #50
ReaLx3m
Zealot
ReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Some droolworthy content in the attachment for people gasping for more space .
Too bad it didnt accept 256gb ones i have, it would have been a 512gb ereader .
Lack of sd card is whats been putting me off of libra, which otherwise would be an ideal reader for my needs.
In all fairness lack of space could be compensated by using koreader and running calibre or opds local server, but way more convenient when i have most of my comic book collection readily available everywhere i take the reader. For books only, yes, i suppose even 8gb is too much.
ReaLx3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 11:41 PM   #51
ratinox
Addict
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaLx3m View Post
Some droolworthy content in the attachment for people gasping for more space .
M-x snark-mode

I'm supposed to be drooling over the fact that you wasted eighty bucks on SD cards you don't really need?

M-x snark-mode

My comic and manga library is about 60GB. I don't recall ever needing to have the whole thing with me. Heck, I don't have even 1/3 of that on my 32GB Aura One.
ratinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 05:12 AM   #52
ReaLx3m
Zealot
ReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratinox View Post
M-x snark-mode

I'm supposed to be drooling over the fact that you wasted eighty bucks on SD cards you don't really need?

M-x snark-mode

My comic and manga library is about 60GB. I don't recall ever needing to have the whole thing with me. Heck, I don't have even 1/3 of that on my 32GB Aura One.
Cmon now, we all know youre green with envy cause mine is bigger than yours(storage wise). And collection is also around 400-500GB , so bigger than yours twice uptil now, dont make me unzip :P .
Joking aside, ofcourse its an overkill and its more of a want than need, plus the bragging rights . But it has its plus sides, considering the very slow write speeds of the onboard sd card readers of the original h20, saves the hustle of needing to ever connect to pc and wait(more time left for love ) . After the wow effect wears out, i think i will settle with 32GB internall for large book library and 128GB in the external slot for comic books, as its pretty fast taking it out and copying content with a card reader(more than 10 times faster when compared to onboard card reader as 128gb and up have fastest write speeds 90MB/s). That, and koreader not needing to index anything after adding content is a match made in heaven.
As for the $80 tag you assigned to the venture... I suppose you havent checked sd card prices lately, large micro sd cards are pretty cheap nowadays. One of the best cards - Samsung Evo Plus 128GB can be had for around $19 a piece, 64GB ones around $12 and 32gb already hard to justify purchase as its around $8-9.
So how much is convenience really worth?Up to each individual to decide for himself.

Last edited by ReaLx3m; 10-24-2019 at 05:24 AM.
ReaLx3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 07:23 AM   #53
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/Oasis 2/Oasis 3/Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8''/Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaLx3m View Post
So how much is convenience really worth?Up to each individual to decide for himself.
Having the newest and shiniest toy is more important for me personally than added storage space. It would be nice to have both, of course, but if I must choose between a new model and an older model with a SD-card slot, the new model will always win.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 07:26 PM   #54
christopher22
Zealot
christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.

Device: Kobo Aura & Touch
Drool no, a bit jealous maybe haha. 128Gb is a lot of space.
Personally I don't care much for the waterproofing (of course you can't have an open micro sd slot if you want waterproofing).
First thing - the 32Gb Aura one is all sold out everywhere I look - I'm guessing the larger storage is what everyone needs (or at least thinks they will need - of course I agree) ie Best buy and indigo. The only thing available is libre the forma and of course the clara. Now, I wouldn't pay $300 bucks for an e reader. About $100 is what I would spend. Even the $200 for the libre and forma is steep. Back when I got the kobo aura's I believe it was for $99.
Now I can find them on ebay and no where else but there seems to be loads of them in China - so what are they doing with them? (loading spy software and selling them back?) anyways that's about the only place I can get my hands on an micro sd card slotted Kobo. I don't have a kobo with a light but luckily I got my family members one so they can read in the dark.
Regarding the micro sd cards, I can simply take one sd card and no matter who has an e reader with them I can pop it in and my books are there. With these new readers (of course it's not a deal breaker - well it is with no micro sd card slot - but..) I have to load my books on them rather than just popping in a micro sd card.
What happened to the new kobo mini2? Did I miss that? If it had a light, and a micro sd card slot! Bamm! I'd buy that in a second (been looking for a kobo that can easily fit in my pocket.
christopher22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 07:46 AM   #55
Frenzie
Guru
Frenzie has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Frenzie has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Frenzie has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Frenzie has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Frenzie has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Frenzie has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Frenzie has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Frenzie has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Frenzie has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Frenzie has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Frenzie has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher22 View Post
Personally I don't care much for the waterproofing (of course you can't have an open micro sd slot if you want waterproofing).
Of course you can. This slightly awkward blog post even has a video showing how.

Quote:
One of the the biggest questions and concerns people have with the new Kobo H2O e-reader is how do you load in an SD Card. This reader has a waterproof flap at the very bottom which protects the Micro SD and Micro USB ports from the water and dust. Today, we show you exactly what you need to do to insert an SD card properly.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:34 PM   #56
christopher22
Zealot
christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.

Device: Kobo Aura & Touch
Here's an idea ... piggy back a micro sd card slot from the existing one.

A hack that modifies existing kobo's to have a micro sd card slot. Haven't looked into it but couldn't you piggy back solder another micro sd onto the existing one?
christopher22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 10:18 PM   #57
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=320184

This would help! I think you can even go Bigger for storage.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote