Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-29-2023, 07:44 AM   #16
criscros
Fulltime reader
criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Or get a new model or Android eink for Kindle App, because you don't own loans. I got an Android eink purely for the local Library Android app, but I installed Kindle & Kobo & Google ebook apps as well, just in case.
Which android eink did you get? I'm considering the BOOX Nova Air C, which has great reviews. My eyes will probably thank me if it works as well as they say.
criscros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 08:30 AM   #17
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Boyue Likebook Mars, it's unavailable and maybe replaced by Meebook P78.
I'd trust comments here more than most review sites.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2023, 10:59 AM   #18
Lys
Zealot
Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Just buy an old Kindle for $15, register it, and put it in a box and forget about it.
Honestly, I'm not gonna bother: even the cheapest of Kindles listed on ebay would be at last 35/40€ for me (shipping included), and I don't buy much on Amazon to start with anyway.
I prefer spending that money on more books from other stores/indie
Lys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 12:03 PM   #19
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by criscros View Post
Which android eink did you get? I'm considering the BOOX Nova Air C, which has great reviews. My eyes will probably thank me if it works as well as they say.
I have a very old Nova. It's a great ereader. Perfect size. I have never used the kindle app on it, so I don't know about that.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 12:30 PM   #20
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I am too old for this new mess. But with 8,000 ebooks and counting I forced to use their eReaders. My Kobo Clare is up for sale
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2023, 12:14 AM   #21
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
I have an older Nova 2 and the Kindle app works fine for "borrowed" books but, of course, with Amazon's limited margins & line spacing settings as well as the inability to add custom fonts (as far as I know).
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 01:57 AM   #22
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
The contrast and sharpness is much worse on a colour e-ink screen. Do not buy that unless you desperately need colour e-ink for whatever reason.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 05:25 AM   #23
Liamwil
Liamwil began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
In my case, using a kindle 4 and downloading the books from kindle unlimited via wifi, I still could decrypt them with the calibre plugin. The download via usb has disapeares and I could not download to the device some books (AZW4, that is really PDF) but azw3 is still working and decrypting.
Liamwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 11:30 AM   #24
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
I am too old for this new mess. But with 8,000 ebooks and counting I forced to use their eReaders. My Kobo Clare is up for sale

We have a Flea Market you may wish to visit.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 12:30 PM   #25
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
I hear this alot. And believe me, I sympathize. But I do find it kinda weird when people leave their Kobo's behind to go back to Amazon because of Amazon's restrictive policies. It strikes me as tantamount to saying "My captors have made it too difficult to throw off my shackles, so I guess I'm just going to remain enslaved."

I've got several hundred Kindle books purchased as well. And granted, I liberated the DRM from most of them when it was easier. But even just two weeks ago, I bought a Kindle book off Amazon (I had promised myself I would stop after these DRM changes, but dammit it was cheaper than on Kobo ), and it was still easy enough to remove the DRM. It just requires keeping a physical e-ink Kindle device active to your Amazon account so that they will give you the option of downloading an AZW file to manually transfer via USB. That file is then decryptable by Calibre/DeDRM.
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 12:47 PM   #26
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Chef View Post
I hear this alot. And believe me, I sympathize. But I do find it kinda weird when people leave their Kobo's behind to go back to Amazon because of Amazon's restrictive policies. It strikes me as tantamount to saying "My captors have made it too difficult to throw off my shackles, so I guess I'm just going to remain enslaved."

Yeah, I'm with you. I'm not going to reward Amazon for making things harder. I'll just buy my books elsewhere.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 01-30-2023 at 12:59 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 12:49 PM   #27
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Chef View Post
But even just two weeks ago, I bought a Kindle book off Amazon (I had promised myself I would stop after these DRM changes, but dammit it was cheaper than on Kobo )
Why not use Kobo’s Price Match Guarantee? Granted the refund is in the form of Kobo credit, but the sweetener of a 10% bonus should compensate for that. And after the first price match it’ll roll over into your next purchase anyway, so if you buy with any regularity at all, you won’t be out of pocket for long.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 12:59 PM   #28
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I've nearly 300 Amazon ebooks (nearly 10 years) and only a small percentage are Amazon exclusive. But about 4,000 pd titles. If I can't buy new books to read on the Kobo, from Amazon I'll buy elsewhere, I won't go back to reading on a PW3 and I gave my Oasis away.

PD is the best reason to buy an eInk and use Calibre.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 02:20 PM   #29
Lys
Zealot
Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Why not use Kobo’s Price Match Guarantee? Granted the refund is in the form of Kobo credit, but the sweetener of a 10% bonus should compensate for that. And after the first price match it’ll roll over into your next purchase anyway, so if you buy with any regularity at all, you won’t be out of pocket for long.
Sadly, it's not available everywhere (here it is not, for example. But it must be said that here, Amazon and Kobo prices are the same for books in my language, and usually they are quite similar for books in English)
Lys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 03:37 PM   #30
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Just buy an old Kindle for $15, register it, and put it in a box and forget about it.

Then buy your ebook and download it to your computer (selecting that Kindle), and then put the file in calibre and convert like you're crazy (if that is your predilection).

I have, use, and love both Kindles and Kobos - and so I have no problem whatsoever with what I want to buy, where I want to buy, and what I want to read on whatever device I own.

This works great for books (for now), and I’m glad, but unfortunately doesn’t work for comics and manga anymore. So if a manga is only available for the Kindle, I won’t likely buy it since I can’t back it up anymore.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote