Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-27-2012, 06:29 PM   #61
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
A frontlit kindle would have me as as buyer.
Of course, I would be kind of bummed if I had to give up 3g... SONY has already taken 3g off its readers, which disappointed me...
Buttons would be great, but not essential. I really want a frontlit ereader.

If the new kindle does not have a frontlit screen, I am buying a nook glow.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:36 AM   #62
Top100EbooksRank
Banned
Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Heard a rumor that Amazon will buy RadioShack for $500 million.
Radioshack market value is $250 mil right now (so 100% premium).

Not sure if Amazon should follow the Apple and Microsoft example of owning their own stores. And RadioShack has way too many stores (7,000+).

But if it owns Radioshack, it would be easier to install the Amazon Delivery Locker that it is testing with 7-Eleven. I guess that is a positive.
Top100EbooksRank is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2012, 12:50 PM   #63
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
Kindle HD?

http://www.geekwire.com/2012/amazon-...24-resolution/
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:57 PM   #64
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Use of a flexible screen would be significant. It would really open up use of ereaders in schools and libraries, because it would eliminate the fragile substrates current ereaders have.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:02 PM   #65
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersott View Post
While it would be nice, I find the resolution my my Kindle Keyboard to be fine as it is. Not sure that an increase in resolution alone would get me to upgrade.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2012, 04:18 PM   #66
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
A higher resolution eink display would be an important feature to me, and probably enough to justify an upgrade. KF8 titles I'm seeing include many with embedded fonts, and without the 'tuning' that the Kindle built-in fonts have, they don't look consistently as good. I miss the generally much superior and varied typography of print books, and am starting to get very bored with Caecilia, and single-typeface ebooks. But at 166dpi, at the text sizes I use, that's pretty much all that looks decent. I'm hoping 210dpi (6" screen with 1024x768) will be helpful in improving this, and probably nothing else will get me to upgrade.

The other 'feature' I would be looking for is a lighter device. Kindle Touch is pretty hefty compared to Nook and Sony and Kobo, and the extra weight doesn't seem to confer better performance, time-between-charges, or ruggedness.

I hope they don't dump the 3G option. I had pretty much dismissed it as a 'do not need' once wifi models became available, but having recently upgraded to a 3G model I would not want to be without it, even with a $50 premium. I travel a lot and like the simplicity and convenience of wireless-anywhere access without a contract.

I'm wait-and-see about front lighting: will it cost more? does it affect contrast negatively? is it more fragile? If any of the above, and it is not optional, I will be hesitating.

At this point, none of the rumors I'm hearing about Amazon tablets, smartphones, or mp3 players have predisposed me to wanting one. It's not that my current stable of mobile devices is particularly cutting edge, but reading is the critical application for me and my Kindle is easily the best device for that. At this point my iPod Touch is most at risk of replacement (its lack of battery performance is really starting to annoy me), but with what?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:09 PM   #67
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
Of course, I would be kind of bummed if I had to give up 3g... SONY has already taken 3g off its readers, which disappointed me...
3g seems to be a bureaucratic and corporate nightmare when it comes to getting approval into a market. It kept the PocketBook 603/903 models out of North America, and the Sony 950 out of Canada. The 3g Kindle models took ages to finally break into Canada, and then they had reduced capabilities over those in the US market. The insanely greedy cell providers seem to be the biggest obstacle, at least in Canada. Anyway, I don't think the blame lies mostly with the ereader manufacturers on this.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:00 AM   #68
nobylspoon
Zealot
nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Asus Transformer, WIFI Xoom, EVO LTE, 3G Paperwhite 10/2
I'm quite surprised that nothing has leaked yet. I guess Amazon doesn't follow Apple's business model of intentionally leaking new products to create buzz before events
nobylspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:10 AM   #69
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
Looks like this might be an expensive month for me.

September 6th Amazon Kindles

September 12th Apple iPhone
September 13th Nintendo Wii U
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:12 AM   #70
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
unless a new KF comes with Mirasol display, I'm all hyped for a new e-reader alone, not a tablet.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote