Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-08-2023, 02:43 PM   #1
Cedros
Enthusiast
Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara; Kobo H20v2; Kobo Glo HD;
Kobo Elipsa and Word docs

I'm interested in a note-taking device I can use for proof-reading and marking up Word docs. Since I'm familiar with Kobo e-readers, the Elipsa seems like a good choice. I'd love to know if anyone has experience with Word docs on a Kobo Elipsa. It sounds as if transferring the files from a computer to the Elipsa and back is fairly straight forward. Is that true in practice? Or not? Are markups saved as you transfer the file back to a computer, or lost in the process? Is the Elipsa maybe not intended for this kind of use? Any comments appreciated! (I hope these aren't too many questions.)
Cedros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 04:49 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Advanced Notebook -> Export as text, HTML or Word docx to local storage or dropbox. Copy via USB or dropbox to Word or LO Writer.

You can only import Advanced notebooks from other Kobos. You can't import Word docs.

I don't use the stylus at all to highlight and make notes of doc created on PC. I add the Word docx to Calibre and make an epub2 and send that via USB to the Kobo (any Kobo).

I proof read the epub, making notes using the text keyboard. I copy those back using Kobo Utilities (highlight, note, chapter, % in books etc) and paste into a text editor open beside the Word Document (though I use LO Writer and save in odt, with an extra last Save As in docx for Calibre.

Been doing this for years on Kobos and before that on the Kindle using azw3 converted from epub2.

The ONLY sensible way to read and edit an actual word document is in Word or LO Writer on Linux, Mac or Windows.

But my final product is an ebook. I've not used paper for years.

I got the Elipsa to make notes separately and also to simply mark errors on PDFs for POD. The PDFs direct export from a reformated copy of the document proofed as an epub. So the ONLY issue is styles/formatting/layout, never ever the content.

I quickly realised that the Sage would be better for notes and now ONLY use the Elipsa for POD version as PDF when the epub has been 100% proofed. Always one more proof read if any edit.

No note taking device will markup word documents directly. The Kindle Scribe needs the document (PDF) sent to Amazon and then downloaded as a KFX. Then you send that and get an email of a PDF. Or something, I lost interest at the "You send the original PDF to Amazon".

The handwriting, shape, maths & checkbox recognition to produce an editable word document export on the Elipsa or Sage is now brilliant. But the Sage is handier to proof epubs (with touch screen keyboard, though BT keyboard sort of works) and for creating the separate Advanced Notebooks. The Elipsa is a more natural size to proof purely the layout etc of PDFs for POD, where the content already proofed to death as an epub2 on the Sage.

Last edited by Quoth; 02-08-2023 at 04:51 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 12:32 AM   #3
Cedros
Enthusiast
Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you Quoth, that's really helpful. I love the idea of working on a Word document on a paper-like easily portable device, but it sounds as if the Elipsa and other similar paper-like devices--the Boox Note and the reMarkable--wouldn't allow for copy-editing a Word document. I'll have to stick with the computer for that. Interesting that you find Sage better for making notes. I'll take a closer look at it. So hard to visualize how something works without actually seeing it and putting it to use!
Old 02-09-2023, 05:53 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The reMarkable is far less capable than the Elipsa. No native handwriting recognition, no word export. Basically PDFs with images. It's a PDF reader and sketch pad. I had one till a couple of weeks ago.

Reading / proofing word docs made into epubs works very well for 15,000 to 500,000 word documents. Only need Libra2 or Sage. Highlight a good portion and type in short note with onscreen text keyboard. Then import the highlights & annotations as text via Kobo Utilities and paste into a text editor window beside word/LO Writer. Make new version of doc SaveAs and increment version number suffix. Search for a piece of highlight in doc, make edit. Takes less than 1hr for 50,000 word book.
Save, do any other additions / deletions in a new Save As version.

I used to use Word & Notepad++ on Windows, then from about 2014 LO Writer (edit odt and extra Save As in docx at the end). I moved to Linux 100% in Dec 2016- Jan 2017 with Notepad++ on WINE, then replaced that with KATE (both NP++ and KATE are tabbed text editors with sessions, so you have a session for the doc, or subject with a .txt for each aspect in a tab. Increment the annotations&highlights text file version number on each proofing cycle.

The workflow really works well for larger documents. Less than 5,000 words I just proof on the PC.

The 10″ eink ereaders only needed to proof layout of PDFs exported from Word/Writer for POD (paper print). The content is proofed as epub. The final epub source in Word or Writer will also work for a Website, either HTML export from wordprocessor or from the epub (which is a zip with CSS, images, fonts, index, file list and HTML files).

The Sage is easier for notes being dramatically lighter than Elipsa. The 8″ screen is fine for that too. Hold Sage in one hand and Pen in the other. Double tap with finger to convert to visio style shapes, or math, or text or checkboxes that work in docx, inline freehand images also exported. Mostly I export plain text as it's notes about what I'm going to write, or a journal, or lists.

I had a Libra and bought the Elipsa and I couldn't see the point of a Sage, till I used the Elipsa for notes. After 2 days I ordered the Sage. Also many scanned PDF books can be read on the Sage the latest FW supports crop per document. Though if the PDF is poor images I use The GIMP to crop and convert to 16 shades, or if it has text content the K2pdfopt (Mac, Win, Linux) works well. Some image based PDFs can be sorted with K2pdfopt.

I don't know much about Boox, but Kobo integrates best of all with Calibre on Mac, Linux and Windows.

I seriously considered a Kindle Scribe for checking PDFs (300 dpi vs 227 dpi for all others), but if you want to annotate with their Sticky Note system you have to send the PDF to Amazon and download a KFX, which can mess up the appearance (very thing that's important). Likely all the others will do 300 dpi 10.x″ ereaders. Even ordinary Kindle is too dependent on Amazon servers; out of the box you have poor control of collections and none over series which is often wrong on Amazon and can't be applied to sideloaded without jailbreak.

Kobo doesn't need jailbreak or modified, and if you did want to change the default the tools are here.

Some Android based eink might work with Office 365 in Cloud. But even on 10″ decent LCD Android, all wordprocessoing, even with USB or BT keyboard is garbage. The Android OS isn't suited for multiple windows and the only Andriod editors that work sensibly are plain text. I do have an Android eink, a 7.8″ Boyue Likebook Mars (Meebook P78 is current version). Jota and a decent BT keyboard work on it. I got it for Irish Library ebook access (BorrowBox app for books and Libby for comics). I have Jota on phones and tablets too.
Old 02-09-2023, 05:55 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

MS Word / LO Writer Paragraph styles & headings map 1:1 to CSS in epub via Calibre.
Old 02-13-2023, 09:15 PM   #6
Cedros
Enthusiast

Thanks! I hadn't looked closely at the Kobo Sage and wasn't aware of how versatile it is. Still, I like the Elipsa's ten-inch screen, or at least I like it without having used it. The reMarkable has its appeal, but the limitations, and the cost, are definite negatives. I'm beginning to think a newer iPad than the one I have might be the better choice for editing etc., and then at some point I could replace my Libra H20 with a Kobo Sage for reading, writing notes and downloading Word documents as PDFs. (I have a stupid allergy to paper, which makes a pen and a paper notebook a bit of a problem.) Thanks again for your help!
Old 02-14-2023, 04:35 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Better to convert the Word docs to epub, then you can add real text via touch keyboard. PDFs don't reflow and only take drawing style handwriting/print, no handwriting to text conversion.

A final content proofed Word doc that is going to be published on paper can be exported to PDF and viewed on a decent monitor, larger than 13″ tablet or maybe a 10″+ eink.

Boox, meebook, Kindle Scribe and Elipsa all seem better than the reMarkable, though I've only read about some of those. Compared reMarkable & Elipsa side by side.
Old 03-25-2023, 10:46 AM   #8
Cedros
Enthusiast

Update. Thanks, Quoth, for your help. It took a lot of thought, but in the end I ordered a Kobo Elipsa, which arrived a few days ago. Almost decided on the Sage, but the Elipsa was attractively sale-priced here, and I thought I'd take a chance. First reaction was, wow, this thing is a monster. The origami sleep cover is a tremendous asset, considering the Elipsa's size and weight. I'll continue reading mostly on my Libra H2O, of course. So far, writing in the notebook on the Elipsa is a better experience than I'd anticipated, which is all to the good. Soon I'll try converting a Word document to a PDF and will see how it goes.
Old 03-25-2023, 02:46 PM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedros View Post
Soon I'll try converting a Word document to a PDF and will see how it goes.
  1. Convert docx to Epub in Calibre if you want to proof content and do notes in text with touch keyboard (BT keyboard sort of works). Read back with Kobo Utilities. Pen annotation is pointless.
  2. Word export to PDF if you want to check layout for paper print or POD, but only freehand notes, no real text. You can copy back the scribbled on PDF. No Keyboard.
  3. Advanced Notebook (no connection or copy/paste with ebooks or PDF or import) with decent conversion of handwriting/drawing to text, maths, check boxes, shapes (and also freehand sketches) with docx export. Or plain text just for converted text. No keyboard, though BT Keyboard will page.

The Sketch pad does work with Pen and is enabled by devmodeon in search (devmodeoff for normal).
Old 03-31-2023, 11:00 AM   #10
Cedros
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
  1. [
  2. Advanced Notebook (no connection or copy/paste with ebooks or PDF or import) with decent conversion of handwriting/drawing to text, maths, check boxes, shapes (and also freehand sketches) with docx export. Or plain text just for converted text. No keyboard, though BT Keyboard will page.

The Sketch pad does work with Pen and is enabled by devmodeon in search (devmodeoff for normal).
So far note-taking in My Notebooks is working well. Good response from the pen, legibility fine, and I'm pleased there isn't a latency problem as often described with e-paper devices. Using an Advanced Notebook, however, is a different kettle of fish altogether, is it not? There are rules to learn. I haven't yet uploaded anything to Dropbox or tried loading the PDF of a Word doc onto the Elipsa. Simply being able to read the PDF of a manuscript on a 10 inch screen will be an asset, and I won't worry too much about editing on the Elipsa, but will refer to it as if a paper copy while working on the computer. Also interested in trying the Sketch pad and will remember to enable with devmodeon. Thank you again, Quoth!