Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-27-2022, 10:25 AM   #1
popinzenc
popinzenc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Kobo
Delete unused fonts

Hi all,

I am looking for a way to delete those unused system fonts like Amasis, Caecilie and else.

Been searching for a time but no luck. Please if anyone know,

Thanks alot!
popinzenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 12:55 PM   #2
sdothum
Enthusiast
sdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Libra 2
i haven't tried this but (and don't know if there are any "gotchas" removing system fonts)..

- turn "devmodeon" (in search if you haven't already turned it on. You may need to restart your device).
- turn wifi on
- telnet to your device (get your IP from device settings. Log in as "root")
- do "find / -name fonts"
- cd to directory (likely "/usr/local/Qt-5.2.1-arm/lib/fonts")
- ls (to confirm files)
- rm -i Amasis* Caecilie* (etc) # "-i" should enforce confirmation prompt if you are unfamiliar with the rm command (you do NOT want to "rm -r /" !!!!)

Re-installing the firmware patch will recover these deleted font files.

Kobo's don't seem to dynamically cache fonts.. so you may have to restart the device after deleting the font files.

Last edited by sdothum; 05-27-2022 at 01:00 PM.
sdothum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2022, 10:35 PM   #3
popinzenc
popinzenc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdothum View Post
i haven't tried this but (and don't know if there are any "gotchas" removing system fonts)..

- turn "devmodeon" (in search if you haven't already turned it on. You may need to restart your device).
- turn wifi on
- telnet to your device (get your IP from device settings. Log in as "root")
- do "find / -name fonts"
- cd to directory (likely "/usr/local/Qt-5.2.1-arm/lib/fonts")
- ls (to confirm files)
- rm -i Amasis* Caecilie* (etc) # "-i" should enforce confirmation prompt if you are unfamiliar with the rm command (you do NOT want to "rm -r /" !!!!)

Re-installing the firmware patch will recover these deleted font files.

Kobo's don't seem to dynamically cache fonts.. so you may have to restart the device after deleting the font files.
Hi,

Thanks for your details guide, however, im stuck at telnet step, it always failed to connect to port 13531 and hence further steps cannot continue.
I have enable the telnet client in Window features.

Can you please troubleshooting me with this?
popinzenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 06:01 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
It's probably a bad idea to delete included fonts, even if you think you don't want them.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 07:58 AM   #5
codychan
Groupie
codychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud of

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma
If you happen to use patch, I've been using the following method for a few years:

1. Append the following three lines into the `kobopatch.yaml` file in the patch (Note there is indention of the last two lines, but no indention after I pasted it here, check the context of the file for the right indention)
Quote:
files:
src/change_fonts.sh: root/change_fonts.sh
src/change_fonts.rules: etc/udev/rules.d/change_fonts.rules
2. Create a new file `change_fonts.sh` in src directory in patch, comment/uncomment as you like (some fonts should not be deleted)
Quote:
#!/bin/sh

# rm usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Amasis*
# rm /usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Avenir*
# rm usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Caecilia*
# rm usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/georgia*
rm usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/GillSans*
# rm usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/KBJ*
# rm usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/KoboNickel*
rm usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Malabar*
rm usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/OpenDyslexic*

rm /etc/udev/rules.d/change_fonts.rules
rm /root/change_fonts.sh
3. create a new file `change_fonts.rules` in src
Quote:
KERNEL=="loop0", RUN+="/root/change_fonts.sh"
Then every time you apply the patch, those fonts in the `change_fonts.sh` will be deleted.

Last edited by codychan; 05-30-2022 at 10:14 AM.
codychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2022, 09:44 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by popinzenc View Post
Hi,

Thanks for your details guide, however, im stuck at telnet step, it always failed to connect to port 13531 and hence further steps cannot continue.
I have enable the telnet client in Window features.

Can you please troubleshooting me with this?
You should be using port 23.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 06:50 AM   #7
sdothum
Enthusiast
sdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it is

Yes, the default telnet port.

In your terminal window, issue:

telnet <ip address> 23
Old 06-06-2022, 07:04 PM   #8
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
It's probably a bad idea to delete included fonts, even if you think you don't want them.
Beyond that, there is zero downside to simply leaving them, and they take up a negligible amount of system memory.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 07:53 PM   #9
allanahk
Connoisseur
allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I tried both of these methods and neither worked - I'd really like to remove unused fonts as they push the fonts I actually use to the second page of the list (minor thing but pretty annoying).

For the kobopatch method, I added the lines to the kobopatch.yaml file (with appropriate indentation), created change_fonts.sh and change_fonts.rules in src, and ran kobopatch.bat to get a new KoboRoot.tgz. From the log.txt file it seems to have worked as it should, but after installing on the kobo there seem to be no changes - all fonts remain in the list.

For the telnet method, I turned devmodeon (double checked that it was actually on), turned on telnet on my computer, connected both devices to the same wifi network, ran "telnet <ip address> 23" in terminal, and got "Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: Connect failed".

I've got no clue why these aren't working. Another option would be to reorder the font list so that unwanted fonts move to the second page of fonts in the selector list. Anyone know if this is possible?
allanahk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 08:35 PM   #10
sdothum
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanahk View Post
For the telnet method, I turned devmodeon (double checked that it was actually on), turned on telnet on my computer, connected both devices to the same wifi network, ran "telnet <ip address> 23" in terminal, and got "Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: Connect failed".
To be clear, the telnet daemon will be running on your Kobo device (when you set "devmodeon" and enable wifi). You are running a telnet client session from your computer to your Kobo e-reader, hence, from your computer's terminal session:

telnet <ip address of your e-reader> 23

Get your ip address from "settings -> device info" on your Kobo. The port should default to 23 (but you can provide if otherwise).

You may need to check your "energy saving" setting to make sure your device doesn't go to sleep while you are connected to it -- you may lose your connection if sleep mode shuts down the telnet service daemon (telnetd).

Last edited by sdothum; 07-05-2022 at 08:38 PM.
Old 07-05-2022, 09:19 PM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
You also might need to check your router; some have security settings to restrict access to wifi devices.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 03:55 AM   #12
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
I wonder how often the OP changes font?
I use Bookerly for everything so don't even see the list of available fonts for it to annoy me
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 05:43 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by codychan View Post
If you happen to use patch, I've been using the following method for a few years:

1. Append the following three lines into the `kobopatch.yaml` file in the patch (Note there is indention of the last two lines, but no indention after I pasted it here, check the context of the file for the right indention)

2. Create a new file `change_fonts.sh` in src directory in patch, comment/uncomment as you like (some fonts should not be deleted)

3. create a new file `change_fonts.rules` in src

Then every time you apply the patch, those fonts in the `change_fonts.sh` will be deleted.
I suggest you remove the lines that remove the fonts used by the UI.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 06:37 AM   #14
codychan
Groupie
codychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud of

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I suggest you remove the lines that remove the fonts used by the UI.
Actually I don't know what exact fonts are used by UI that cannot be deleted, you can see that I only remove three fonts in the script.

If possible, I'd like to remove all the fonts that are not used by Kobo OS.

Is there such kind of list?

Last edited by codychan; 07-06-2022 at 08:37 AM.
codychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 07:42 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by codychan View Post
Actually I don't know what exact fonts are used by UI that cannot be used, you can see that I only remove three fonts in the script.

If possible, I'd like to remove all the fonts that are not used by Kobo OS.

Is there such kind of list?
I suggest asking in the patch thread (for the current firmware) which fonts you can remove without any detrimental effect.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote