Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Windows Devices

Notices

Old 09-03-2021, 10:11 AM   #1
Cheveyo43
Cheveyo43 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Can I use a windows recovery drive to reinstall Windows 10 on any PC?

I wonder if I can use a windows recovery drive to install Windows 10 on any PC (not to recover or any of the other options offered by the recovery drive, but just to wipe and install Windows from scratch) or is a recovery drive intended only for the PC where you created it? I guess this drive only contains the drivers for that specific PC? or does it contain all the stuff found in a typical windows recovery media USB stick?
Cheveyo43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 08:15 AM   #2
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
No.

You are correct the backup is specific to the computer that made it. This was true in the past and I have not heard of it changing.

However, I think you still can download a copy of windows that you make a cd of and install windows on any computer. I do not have a link but google should help you find it. (At least this is what I've read.) You might snoop around the following site, it is loaded with 10 info.

https://www.tenforums.com/
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 04:21 PM   #3
franzli
Addict
franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Onyx Boox T68 Plus
If you just want to reinstall windows 10, you can download an ISO from Microsoft (just Google Windows 10 ISO and use the first link to microsoft.com). If you're in a non-Windows system, they will actually let you download an ISO file that you can then write to a USB stick with your programme of choice (on Linux etcher is a comfortable option with gui, for Windows rufus is a good tool). If you access the website from Windows, they will direct you to download their Media Creation Tool, which will download and write the ISO to a USB stick as well. Just make sure there's nothing in that such that you'll need.

Afterwards, you may have to look for the latest drivers for some of your hardware (on a laptop, the manufacturer website should be the best starting point). For most standard components the default drivers will get you started, but the vendor drivers are typically preferable for things like GPU or chipset.
franzli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 01:29 AM   #4
kantecty
kantecty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kantecty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kantecty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kantecty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kantecty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kantecty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kantecty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kantecty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kantecty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kantecty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kantecty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone 11
You still can download a copy of windows and install windows on any PC or download files from the web
kantecty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 08:02 PM   #5
elliot15
elliot15 began at the beginning.

Device: none
The fact that it is/was the recovery drive is not relevant, it can be repurposed for a brand new Windows installation providing you have the correct bootable USB. Which you can create when you download Media Creation Tool.

Once you have the USB stick, simply put it in, and make sure the motherboard is configured to boot from USB. The installation applet will appear, just follow the onscreen instructions to complete the process.
elliot15 is offline   Reply With Quote