Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-18-2010, 05:44 AM   #1
alexkusuma
alexkusuma began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Why my converted ePub become DRM protected?

Hi,

I had just install Calibre 0.7.9, and I tried to convert my document into ePub format; however, when I transfer the ePub into my Kobo, it says that the content is locked, and I need to authorize it. However, I've already authorize my Kobo. On my Kobo, that ePub book is the only one that I can't open. I can still open and read all of my other ebooks including the bought and DRM-protected ones.

The source is html file(s).

Any help on how to fix this?

Cheers,
Alex
alexkusuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:55 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
That seems strange, the source was html, it is extremely unlikely that Calibre added any lock to it when it generated the ePub version. [although 0.7.9 is the latest version and I am not running that one].

Maybe this is a Kobo issue, and that I can't help with - an expert will be along shortly ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2010, 08:50 AM   #3
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I had a Kobo problem with locked content--independent of Calibre. I had to de-authorize BOTH the computer and the Kobo and then reauthorize both. These are Windows instructions--not sure how it works for MAC/Linux. The instructions came from Kobo in response to my email to them.

To de-authorize the computer, open n ADE, and then hit Ctrl+Shift+D.

o Authorize a Computer Launch Adobe Digital Editions and click on the downward arrow to the right of the Library menu. Select “Authorize Computer”. You will see a message stating that your computer has been authorized.

To Deauthorize an eReader plug it into your computer and open ADE. Hit Ctrl+Shift+E to open a menu to select which device you want to Deauthorize.

To Reauthorize the eReader close ADE and an unplug the eReader. Plug the eReader back in and open ADE and it should say it has found a new device to authorize.

It worked for me.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:42 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre doesn't add DRM to any file it creates. This is a Kobo problem.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:49 AM   #5
alexkusuma
alexkusuma began at the beginning.

Hi, thank you for the advices.
I tried taming's suggestion to de-authorize both my computer and Kobo; and unfortunately, that doesn't work for me.
Aparently, what works is to upgrade my Kobo to v1.4. After I re-authorize the device, I can read that one ebook.

Thank you for your help, guys.

Really appreciate it.

Cheers,
Alex
alexkusuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2010, 11:07 PM   #6
Anami
Anami began at the beginning.

Hello,

I am having the same problem... Neither solution resolved it. I trying to open a library book, but kobo says it is locked.
I've already upgraded my kobo and tried de-authorizing as well... any other solution?

Any help will be really appreciated.

Thanks
Anami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:29 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anami View Post
I am having the same problem... Neither solution resolved it. I trying to open a library book, but kobo says it is locked.
Not the same problem as the original poster.

You might be better served asking this question in the Kobo Reader forum.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 07-26-2010 at 12:36 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:27 AM   #8
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Anami

Welcome to mobileread ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:52 PM   #9
Anami
Anami began at the beginning.

Thanks.
Anami is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
convert, epub conversion, html2epub