Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-26-2023, 08:46 AM   #1
jeff47
Connoisseur
jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kobo Libre H20
Text replacement (shortcuts) doesn't work on MacOS?

I'm puzzled by this... I have several text replacement shortcuts set up on my Mac (System Preferences->Keyboard->Text), and have tested them in other programs. If I type the replacement phrase, I get the substituted text. It's an easy way to insert a smart quote, etc.

But in Sigil (1.9.30), nothing happens! Does Sigil override the system shortcuts and text replacements somehow, or is this a QT issue?

(The default shortcut keys for smart quotes on the Mac make no sense to me, grrr... option-] for ’ and option-} for ’ ... really? a sane person would choose option-[ for left single, option-] for right single, option-{ for left double and option-} for right double.)
jeff47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 08:58 AM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Sigil and Qt has no idea what shortcuts you have at the system level. If your system level shortcuts inserts a single character like a virtual keyboard or input method, it should just work. Given Qt collects and uses its own key events, my guess is Qt is ignoring them or consuming them.

A "solution" is to use Sigil's clips feature and assign whatever shortcuts you want for the first 10 clips you create. Clips also have the capability to wrap additional text or tags around your currently selected text.

I also have a SavedSearch find/replace set up in Sigil to automatically do a set of find/replace of short placeholder text that works just like your how you describe for speeding up text insertion where passages require really long words or rare keystrokes that I continually forget.

There is also a smarten quotes plugin that intelligently converts dumb to smart quotes.

Last edited by KevinH; 07-26-2023 at 09:19 AM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert