Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-19-2023, 03:16 PM   #1
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Volunteer needed for Mac (Apple Silicon) arm64 build test

I am looking for a volunteer to download, install and test a native arm64 version of Sigil and/or PageEdit from here:

https://github.com/kevinhendricks/Bu...OnMac/releases

Normally before a release I make a release build and then use a usb key to move it to a non-developer machine that has no Sigil/PageEdit on it to make sure my build machine makes a full build with all requirements. I have no second Apple Silicon Mac (arm64) machine to do that and creating a second user does not hide all of the libraries installed in /usr/local and etc on my dev machine.

So I am looking for someone with an arm64 Mac (M1, M2, etc) to grab my test builds, unpack them like normal and try launching them, running plugins, printing, etc just to make sure no libraries or plugins are missing and report back success or failure and what any error message said.

These builds are a sneak peak at Sigil-1.9.40 and PageEdit-1.9.40 but might be missing full translations for some languages as we are still waiting a week or so for more translations to come in.

Download either or both of:

Sigil.app-1.9.40-Mac-arm64.txz
PageEdit.app-1.9.40-Mac-arm64.txz

at the provided link.

Any help here would be appreciated so that the actual release goes smoothly.

Thanks,

KevinH
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 04:06 PM   #2
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
I have an M2 Mac that I can test this on, but the M2 Mac already has Sigil 1.9.30 installed. Will that be a problem? And can I install the test builds on top of 1.9.30 or do you need it to be a clean install?
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2023, 04:35 PM   #3
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

To be absolutely safe, I would zip up your current Sigil Preferences folder to keep all your old settings, plugins, prefs, etc. Then rename Sigil.app in Applications to Sigil_keep.app.

Then go ahead and install the new Sigil.

If you want to go back to your original just delete the Sigil.app you installed, rename Sigil_keep.app to Sigil.app and if needed unzip your saved Preferences folder.

I am truly hoping none of that is needed and it all just works as before but faster since it will be native arm64.

And Thank You!

Last edited by KevinH; 07-19-2023 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-20-2023, 12:58 AM   #4
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi KevinH,

Sigil 1.9.40 installed okay on top 1.9.30. It launched fine; I ran a bunch of quick tests (not exhaustive), all fine; ran some plugins, okay, etc.

The only problem I ran into was a tkinter(??) error when trying to run plugins ePub3-itizer and cssRemoveUnusedSelectors. Here's the error message:

Spoiler:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Applications/Sigil.app/Contents/plugin_launchers/python/launcher.py", line 141, in launch
target_script = __import__(script_module)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
File "/Users/oda/Library/Application Support/sigil-ebook/sigil/plugins/ePub3-itizer/plugin.py", line 35, in <module>
import tkinter
File "tkinter/__init__.py", line 38, in <module>
ImportError: dlopen(/Applications/Sigil.app/Contents/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.11/lib/python3.11/lib-dynload/_tkinter.cpython-311-darwin.so, 0x0002): Library not loaded: /Users/kbhend/devpython/libraries/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.11/lib/libtk8.6.dylib
Referenced from: <821D0F78-B9CC-393A-803A-A37F9409AD96> /Applications/Sigil.app/Contents/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.11/lib/python3.11/lib-dynload/_tkinter.cpython-311-darwin.so
Reason: tried: '/Users/kbhend/devpython/libraries/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.11/lib/libtk8.6.dylib' (no such file), '/System/Volumes/Preboot/Cryptexes/OS/Users/kbhend/devpython/libraries/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.11/lib/libtk8.6.dylib' (no such file), '/Users/kbhend/devpython/libraries/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.11/lib/libtk8.6.dylib' (no such file), '/usr/local/lib/libtk8.6.dylib' (no such file), '/usr/lib/libtk8.6.dylib' (no such file, not in dyld cache)
Error: dlopen(/Applications/Sigil.app/Contents/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.11/lib/python3.11/lib-dynload/_tkinter.cpython-311-darwin.so, 0x0002): Library not loaded: /Users/kbhend/devpython/libraries/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.11/lib/libtk8.6.dylib
Referenced from: <821D0F78-B9CC-393A-803A-A37F9409AD96> /Applications/Sigil.app/Contents/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.11/lib/python3.11/lib-dynload/_tkinter.cpython-311-darwin.so
Reason: tried: '/Users/kbhend/devpython/libraries/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.11/lib/libtk8.6.dylib' (no such file), '/System/Volumes/Preboot/Cryptexes/OS/Users/kbhend/devpython/libraries/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.11/lib/libtk8.6.dylib' (no such file), '/Users/kbhend/devpython/libraries/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.11/lib/libtk8.6.dylib' (no such file), '/usr/local/lib/libtk8.6.dylib' (no such file), '/usr/lib/libtk8.6.dylib' (no such file, not in dyld cache)
Old 07-20-2023, 08:11 AM   #5
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Thank you!

I will try to track down what is causing this and try to fix it before the release.

KevinH
Advert
Old 07-20-2023, 10:02 AM   #6
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Okay, I think I know what I did wrong and have corrected it. Please grab a fresh copy from my BuildSigilOnMac site (see earlier link) and please try the ePub3itizer plugin one more time. Hopefully this will fix it.

And if you have any of the ReadiumReader plugins we have would you please test one as it will test all of the plugin Qt side of things.

Thank you!

KevinH

Last edited by KevinH; 07-20-2023 at 11:31 AM.
Old 07-20-2023, 02:33 PM   #7
odamizu
just an egg

Success!

ePub3-itizer plugin and cssRemoveUnusedSelectors plugin worked fine with new build.

I also downloaded this ReadiumReader plugin and it worked fine as far as I can tell. (I don't usually use this plugin.)

Also, one thing I noticed is a missing image(?) in some of the pop-up windows. See attached screenshot of window when closing an epub that has been modified. It doesn't happen all the time, though, and I'm having difficulty reproducing it consistently.

This is what I did:
  • open epub, make a change in text, close epub — pop-up window asks if you want to save and Save button is present
  • choose Cancel
  • run ShowSemantics plugin — Close button is blank — click it anyway to close window (this blank button is not new; it was also blank when running Sigil 1.9.30 but I didn't bother to mention it, perhaps I should have)
  • close epub — Save button is blank sometimes, other times it's present

ETA: Okay, this is interesting. When I get a blank button, if I click out of Sigil (e.g., click on my Desktop) then click back into Sigil the blank button is fixed, i.e., blank button turns into the Save button. This happens with the ShowSemantics window as well — clicking my Desktop then clicking back into Sigil fixes the blank button.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	missing button.png
Views:	40
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	202738  

Last edited by odamizu; 07-20-2023 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-20-2023, 04:05 PM   #8
KevinH
Sigil Developer

I think those are Qt bugs but they should not cause any issues with Sigil's operation. I will try to recreate this on my machine but we may have to wait for a new Qt release for any bugfixes.

Thank you!

Kevin
Old 07-20-2023, 04:46 PM   #9
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Okay, I can recreate this by opening the ShowSemantics plugin every time on my machine. As as you said just clicking on the desktop and then back in fixes it. I have been unable to recreate this in Sigil itself but my guess it will happen there too.

I tried with my Qt 6.5.1 build and it always seems to show the correct button text no matter which plugin is used so the problem is in Qt 5 and not in the plugin code.

I will try to see how they fixed it in Qt 6.5.1 and see if I can backport that fix to Qt 5.15.10.

Thanks again for testing and reporting back!
Old 07-20-2023, 07:35 PM   #10
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Turns out this is a known bug:

https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-98483

and

https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-103212

That they have already fixed in Qt 6.2 and later but for some reason refuse to fix in Qt 5.15.x and earlier until Qt 5.15.14.

And of course are hiding that fix until a full 12 months have passed for that release.

Sorry, but Qt is really being an ass about things now.
Old 07-20-2023, 07:43 PM   #11
odamizu
just an egg

Thanks for digging into this. Glad it's not just me. As you say, this doesn't affect Sigil operation (which is why I never mentioned it before). Just a visual anomaly
Old 07-21-2023, 09:03 AM   #12
User_Z
Connoisseur
User_Z began at the beginning.

Device: Computer, iPad
Hello.

Ran Sigil-1.9.40 on a MacBook Air with an Apple M1 chip.
macOS: Ventura 13.1

No problem.
Opened an ePub book containing a PDF file without any message about embedded PDF.

Installed the ReadiumReader plugin (from here: https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/Readi...ses/tag/v0.4.0).
Launched with this open book. Everything shows.

In the language settings, the language "Ukrainian" appeared, without suffixes. Now all context menus and buttons with translations.

If there are any special instructions for checking, write, I'll try to do it.
User_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 09:53 AM   #13
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Did the pdf show properly in its Tab? Or in Preview if using object tags or iframe's to load it in the xhtml?

Good to know that renaming the uk_UA ts file to just uk worked the way you wanted.

Are you experiencing any of the missing button text in popup dialogs, especially in plugins? The ShowSemantics plugin is a good test case for this issue.

Do you perceive it to be faster than running x86-64 based Sigil under Rosetta 2 on the same machine?

My only other concern is general stability as building Qt 5.15 on Ventura on an M2 mac required a large number of patches to get it to build on arm64. It was a real Frankenstein build process. So if you do run into issues while testing it, please let me know.

Last edited by KevinH; 07-21-2023 at 10:44 AM.
Old 07-21-2023, 09:58 AM   #14
KevinH
Sigil Developer

@odamizu,

FWIW, I was able to backport a "fix" for the missing button text from Qt 6.2 to Qt5.15.10 and it appears to work with no harmful side effects, at least that I can detect. I will include it in the final arm64 release build if it proves itself.
Old 07-21-2023, 10:46 AM   #15
User_Z
Connoisseur
User_Z began at the beginning.

Device: Computer, iPad
Quote:
Did the pdf show properly in its Tab? Or in Preview if using object tags or iframe's to load it in the xhtml?
The pdf file is not displayed on the tab.
For pdf, I used the simplest link to open the file in an external program.

Quote:
Are you experiencing any of the missing button text in popup dialogs, especially in plugins? The ShowSemantics plugin is a good test case for this issue.
Installed ShowSemantics and DOCXImport.
All buttons with their own captions (closing on file change, plug-ins, editors of the table of contents, fragments, metadata, etc.).

Quote:
Do you perceive it to be faster than running x86-64 based Sigil under Rosetta 2 on the same machine?
I don't even know what to say... The program just works.
I borrowed this laptop from another person to try out your build. I don't use Apple myself.
User_Z is offline   Reply With Quote