Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-09-2023, 05:32 PM   #1
RatherBWriting
Enthusiast
RatherBWriting began at the beginning.

Device: Apple iPad with Kindle
Chapters Not Right in TOC

I have been formatting my book, and came across a chapter today which is actually two chapters. It should have been split, but somehow I missed it. Chapter 22 actually contains both Chapters 22 and 23, right in the middle of my 48 chapters. How do I correct this? Should I first delete the table of contents?

Thanks so much in advance for your help -
RatherBWriting
RatherBWriting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 06:05 PM   #2
phillipgessert
Addict
phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherBWriting View Post
I have been formatting my book, and came across a chapter today which is actually two chapters. It should have been split, but somehow I missed it. Chapter 22 actually contains both Chapters 22 and 23, right in the middle of my 48 chapters. How do I correct this? Should I first delete the table of contents?

RatherBWriting
If you rebuild it after correcting, it'll overwrite the old one. So, you don't have to delete it first. If you did a bunch of styling to it that you'd like to preserve, though, you could manually add the entry for Chapter 23 instead.
phillipgessert is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2023, 06:48 PM   #3
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Add a sigil split marker immediately before the start of Chapter 23 then split of sigil split markers (or use split at cursor).
Then rebuild the table of contents (assuming it was built from heading h1, h2, h3 tags).
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 04:11 PM   #4
RatherBWriting
Enthusiast

Thank you both for your replies! It is done. And this is the last time I will make this mistake, believe me!
Old 06-13-2023, 06:26 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Thank you both for your replies! It is done. And this is the last time I will make this mistake, believe me!
It is not a Mistake. You simply overlooked a chapter.
It is called the PROOF READING phase. I do a lot of this way. read...read...read... Oops!.fix..fix..read...read...read...
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2023, 04:41 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
And you don't need to regenerate the ToC for such a simple error. The ToC editor would do to fix simple errors.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 12:08 PM   #7
RatherBWriting
Enthusiast

Thank you for the quick replies and moral support! Yes, the TOC is back in fine shape once again, now that the chapters are numbered correctly.

I appreciate your help.

RatherBKnitting
Old 06-17-2023, 04:13 PM   #8
RatherBWriting
Enthusiast

Same Flight Crew Error Msg Over and Over

I have finished formatting my book and am puzzled by one last thing. Flight Crew has given me an identical error message for about 2 dozen chapters in my book. I don't understand what is wrong.

Error message: error schema not satisfied: attribute 'align' is not declared for element 'p' near column X

Here's an example from one chapter in which I got this same error message four times:

<p>*</p>

<p align="center" style="text-align: center;">“Happy birthday to you,</p>

<p align="center" style="text-align: center;">Peace and happiness to you,</p>

<p align="center" style="text-align: center;">May your life be filled with gladness,</p>

<p align="center" style="text-align: center;">Happy birthday to you!”</p>

<p>*</p>

Does anyone know what this refers to?

RatherBWriting
Old 06-17-2023, 04:22 PM   #9
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Try removing the align="center" attribute which can't be used in a <p> element.
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 04:39 PM   #10
RatherBWriting
Enthusiast

Thank you! I didn't know that. I'll try and figure out a different way to center these four lines.

Grateful for your quick response -
RatherBWriting
Old 06-17-2023, 04:50 PM   #11
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'll try and figure out a different way to center these four lines.
The style="text-align: center should take care of that.

Do you mean horizontal or vertical centering?
Old 06-17-2023, 05:05 PM   #12
RatherBWriting
Enthusiast

Vertical centering. It's like a little poem, four lines centered on the page.

Thanks so much for your help!

RatherBWriting
Old 06-17-2023, 05:15 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I would also recommend dumping FlightCrew. We don't even really support it any more. Epubcheck (use the Sigil plugin) is much more thorough and accurate.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 06:47 PM   #14
Karellen
Wizard

Quote:
Vertical centering. It's like a little poem,
I don't know a way to code that reliably so it works on all ereaders.
Which ereader will you be using to read the ebook?

Maybe others have a suggestion.
Old 06-18-2023, 07:14 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Thank you! I didn't know that. I'll try and figure out a different way to center these four lines.

Grateful for your quick response -
RatherBWriting
Code:
<p>*</p>
<p class="center">“Happy birthday to you,</p>
<p class="center">Peace and happiness to you,</p>
<p class="center">May your life be filled with gladness,</p>
<p class="center">Happy birthday to you!”</p>
<p>*</p>
Code:
.center  {
  text-align: center;