Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-21-2019, 03:58 PM   #1
jwlemke
jwlemke began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura H2O
(N514) won't accept update

I have tried a couple of KoboRoot.tar files but none are unpacked and used.
Attached to a Mac, I copied the tar file into .kobo/ then ejected the drive. No reboot so I turned the Kobo off and then held the power switch until it blinked. It always returns to the "setup your kobo" screen (language & wifi).

Any advice?
jwlemke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 04:35 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
If nothing else, the filename needs to be KoboRoot.tgz, the unpacked .tar file will not work.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2019, 11:59 PM   #3
jwlemke

I didn't notice that my Mac had "helped" me!
So KoboRoot.tgz was recognized but it appears to have bricked my Kobo.
Is it possible to boot an N514 from the external SD?
Or must I open it up? Presumably there is some hidden access that will help.
Old 06-22-2019, 12:16 AM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can try a manual factory reset.

Edit: Add step 0. Charge your Kobo for at least a couple of hours before trying to do a factory reset.
  1. Turn off your eReader by holding the power button for 20-30 seconds
  2. Press and hold the light button. Do not release it until step 5
  3. While holding the light button, slide the power button to the right to power on your Aura.
  4. Continue holding the light button until the power light blinks rapidly (discoing).
  5. Release the light button.

Good luck.

Out of a perhaps morbid curiosity, where did you obtain the KoboRoot files you were trying to use on your Aura?

Last edited by DNSB; 06-22-2019 at 12:20 AM.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:35 AM   #5
jwlemke

Thanks for the ideas. The lamp blinks once but doesn't get to blink or fast-blink.
The pin-hole reset causes the screen to flash black once. Either way there is no other activity.

https://www.tophatsoaring.org/Download.html 2.2.2c_beta.
Guess I should have gone for 2.2b (stable)!

Do you have any other suggestions?
Advert
Old 06-24-2019, 09:27 PM   #6
jwlemke

Is there an SD card inside that I can flash?
Old 06-24-2019, 11:41 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The original Aura has fixed memory, so no SD card that can be imaged. But, there are some reports of being able to boot from the external SD card using the image from an Aura H2O. It has been discussed vaguely in the past here, but, I don't have any real details.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 12:20 AM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwlemke View Post
Is there an SD card inside that I can flash?
There isn't an internal uSD card. There is the possibility of booting from the external uSD card. Try a search in the Kobo Developer's Corner on "external booting" for a few threads that may help.