Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-28-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
20LEgend
Connoisseur
20LEgend began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
calibre/nexus7 problem

Long time user of calibre, I have just bought a nexus 7 and according to the android market I needed calibre companion to make it work. Guess what? I get an almost blank screen telling me to connect wirelessly so I enable it on my kindle but nothing happens. Any non tech answers gratefully received.
20LEgend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:56 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20LEgend View Post
Long time user of calibre, I have just bought a nexus 7 and according to the android market I needed calibre companion to make it work. Guess what? I get an almost blank screen telling me to connect wirelessly so I enable it on my kindle but nothing happens. Any non tech answers gratefully received.
CC talks with to Calibre on a PC/MAC, NEVER to another Device.

IN Calibre, you need to enable 'Connect Wirelessly' (under: Connect/share) or the content server (same place).
Whichever you start, you need to use the came Connect type in CC
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2013, 03:55 PM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
See the first section of the Calibre Companion FAQ that discusses connecting to calibre. It isn't clear from your post exactly what you are doing, so I can't tell you which of the answers is most appropriate.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:56 AM   #4
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
You can of course also just use the Nexus 7 USB cable and send epubs from calibre to your N7. Calibre companion is just 1 of the possible methods to transfer files.
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:24 AM   #5
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
I tried Calibre Companion, and after fighting a couple of days with it finally got it to connect to Calibre. Then found the Companion program didn't do what I wanted it to do.

Now I just plug the Nexus into USB, and Calibre recognises it. I transfer my epubs over in to a folder. While in the Nexus I use the file managers to find the folder, find the book and tap on it. Then the Nexus asks me which eReader app I want to open the ePub in. Depends on what programs I've downloaded for epubs at the moment. Chose the App I want and it loads the book into that App and opens it.

Works very well for me.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2013, 11:35 AM   #6
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskyRose View Post
Now I just plug the Nexus into USB, and Calibre recognises it. I transfer my epubs over in to a folder. While in the Nexus I use the file managers to find the folder, find the book and tap on it.
You can actually tell calibre where to place your files. Attach your device, Press Device icon --> Configure this device and enter the folders for calibre look for. If you use the folder your favorite nexus epub-reader is using, then you are in business.

Just my 2cts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	N7.png
Views:	237
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	105107  
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:35 PM   #7
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
If you use the folder your favorite nexus epub-reader is using, then you are in business.

Just my 2cts.
Good advice.

I like to keep the files separate from the Apps because I chose different eBook Apps depending on my mood. And the names of the various folders I use are the Collection names.

Not all reading Apps I played with would recognize the folder names in their own folder, and I carry too many to want dumped them into one large list.

But if you have one favorite App, and it handles the book list the way you want, it would be handy to just put them straight in there.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:25 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I tried Calibre Companion, and after fighting a couple of days with it finally got it to connect to Calibre. Then found the Companion program didn't do what I wanted it to do.
I'm curious what Calibre Companion did not do that you wanted it to do? Judging from the below quote you didn't want Calibre Companion to do much and Calibre Companion (using wireless) does all of the below and so much more.

Update: Never mind looking at your other posts it seems you really prefer folders to organize your books. Calibre and Calibre companion emphasize tags and series info to perform the same service.

Quote:
Now I just plug the Nexus into USB, and Calibre recognises it. I transfer my epubs over in to a folder. While in the Nexus I use the file managers to find the folder, find the book and tap on it. Then the Nexus asks me which eReader app I want to open the ePub in. Depends on what programs I've downloaded for epubs at the moment. Chose the App I want and it loads the book into that App and opens it.

Works very well for me.
Glad you found something that works for you.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:14 AM   #9
20LEgend
Connoisseur
20LEgend began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Sorry I haven't replied. Been computer-less (?) for a while. Some great suggestions, I'll give them a go.
20LEgend is offline   Reply With Quote