Notices

Old 01-17-2012, 09:59 AM   #1
cwiebe
cwiebe began at the beginning.

Device: android phone
Problem downloading books to smartphone

Hello All!
First post.
For the moment, I am using my android (HTC Desire) smartphone as my ereader. The app I use is Aldiko.

If I browse to my calibre library I see all my books. When I click on the 'epub' icon I immediately see 'Download in Progress'. From the status window, I can see the download happening, but the file name shown is
-2.bin
I try it again and the file I see this time is:
-3.bin.

If I download from other sites with my phone, the phone pops up the relevant program to view the download.

If I navigate to the Calibre Library using a PC, the download works properly with the correct extension.

I have not been able to try it with another phone.

Does anyone have any guidance or suggestions for me please? Thanks in advance.
Cliff
cwiebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:58 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Moderator Notice
Moved to Device forum

Disable the password in the content server (see recent added note)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2012, 11:20 AM   #3
cwiebe

Thanks for the reply. None of the attached download problems match my problem nor solve the problem.

I removed the password from the Calibre server and the problem persists.
Any other suggestions please?
Old 01-17-2012, 11:26 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwiebe View Post
Thanks for the reply. None of the attached download problems match my problem nor solve the problem.

I removed the password from the Calibre server and the problem persists.
Any other suggestions please?
Just checking you did restart Calibre ( Content-server)
Old 01-17-2012, 11:31 AM   #5
cwiebe

I did. Your note prompted me to reboot my phone as well. After the reboot I did get a popup on the phone telling me the file type was unrecognized by the phone. The file still wants to come down as
-4.bin

If I download the book, I can find the .bin file in the download folder. Frustrating!
Advert
Old 01-17-2012, 11:42 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
I did. Your note prompted me to reboot my phone as well. After the reboot I did get a popup on the phone telling me the file type was unrecognized by the phone. The file still wants to come down as
-4.bin

If I download the book, I can find the .bin file in the download folder. Frustrating!
.bin
where did that come from? That is not even on the list of formats.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:48 AM   #7
cwiebe

If you re-read my original post each time I attempt to download an epub format book I'm getting increasing file names.
-1.bin
-2.bin
-3.bin

The minus sign is part of the name. Weird. If I had another phone I could see if it is isolated to this phone only.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:49 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Use another app, or use the browser on your phone.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:55 AM   #9
cwiebe

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I am accessing the Calibre library from the browser on my phone.

Downloads work fine using the browser on my PC.

Anyone with a phone want to give it a try to see if works for them?
Old 01-19-2012, 05:06 AM   #10
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I am accessing the Calibre library from the browser on my phone.

Downloads work fine using the browser on my PC.

Anyone with a phone want to give it a try to see if works for them?
try another browser on your phone
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:17 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This error would suggest to me that either the MIME type on the server is not set correctly, or that the browser is not doing the correct thing with it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:41 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The MIME type is set correctly.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:44 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The MIME type is set correctly.
Yes, I was sure it would be, but just raised it as a possibility . Sounds as though the culprit is the browser. Can the OP try installing a different browser on his phone and see if that helps?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:28 AM   #14
cwiebe

Harry,
I installed Opera Mini on my android. The formatting was a bit off, the epub, etc. buttons were quite large. However, downloading the book was successful.

Now I either have to fix formatting with Opera, or figure out how to reset the native android browse so it doesn't choke on an epub download. Thanks for your help. Thanks to everyone for their assistance.
Cliff