Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-21-2023, 01:01 PM   #16
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
In case anyone wants to test embedded pdf support via linking locally (inside epub) to it, or showing an embedded pdf in an iframe, or using an object tag to properly handle fallback from an embedded pdf to xhtml, you can play around with section0001 (link to pdf embedded in epub), Section0003 (uses iframe to load content from embedded epub) and Section0004 (uses object tag to fallback properly in case reader does not support pdf).

Please see the attached test case.

If anyone has a moment I would appreciate seeing if this works on the arm64 build.
Attached Files
File Type: epub embedded_pdf_iframe_object_epub3_ver2.epub (309.5 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by KevinH; 07-21-2023 at 01:16 PM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 03:12 PM   #17
User_Z
Connoisseur
User_Z began at the beginning.

Device: Computer, iPad
Don't know what should be going on in your pdf test.
Recorded a video. See for yourself.
I hope there will be what you wanted to see.

The second video is your test ePub in AZARDI for Windows.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Sigil.zip (32.06 MB, 44 views)
File Type: zip AZARDI.zip (6.89 MB, 39 views)
User_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 04:03 PM   #18
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wow, your testing with the latest arm64 build right? On my machine, if I load that epub into Sigil, open Section0001.xhtml and click on the link at the bottom of the page it loads and displays the pdf in Sigil's CodeView Tab (like it would an image or font tab).

In Section0003.xhtml an iframe loads the pdf into Preview (just like Azardi does).

In Section0004.xhtml an object tag loads the pdf into Preview or alternatively will load Section0002.xhtml placeholder if pdf is not supported. It should look and act just like Azardi video does.

So it is broken on your M1 Mac but works fine on my M2 Mac. Strange.

Last edited by KevinH; 07-21-2023 at 05:06 PM.
Old 07-21-2023, 04:43 PM   #19
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Sorry, I realized that the build I have been testing with is a Qt6.5.1 arm64 build and the pdf stuff all just works.

Unfortunately, when I tried with the frankenstein Qt 5.15.10 arm64 build I posted for you it is totally broken in regards to pdfs.

If I instead bring over a Qt 5.15.9 build of Sigil using x86_64 and run it under Rossetta 2 on my arm64 Mac then pdfs work perfectly.

So native Qt 5.15 is just broken on arm64 Mac.

So when it is time for the upcoming release, I am going to be posting experimental Sigil and PageEdit builds using Qt 6.5.1. Users of arm64 Macs can choose to use them or simply run Sigil under Rossetta 2 as they have been doing all along.

Thanks for testing and reporting back.

Last edited by KevinH; 07-21-2023 at 05:08 PM.
Old 07-21-2023, 05:42 PM   #20
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
I was too slow. I tested after you originally posted but before you re-posted. I got same blanks as User_Z's video (as now expected), except for Section0004 I got the fallback text instead of nothing.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 05:51 PM   #21
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Thanks for trying and reporting back!

I am beginning to think Sigil's transition to Qt6 must come sooner rather than later.
Old 07-23-2023, 05:44 PM   #22
democrite
Evangelist
democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.

Device: none
I have not tried updating Qt5 since my first build on Apple Silicon thus I am aware of anyone else has provided other patches. I found MacPorts includes some, starting it seems around line 1056. As they saw fit to include them, perhaps they'll be of help yet I haven't kooked to see what they are.

https://github.com/macports/macports...a/qt5/Portfile
democrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 07:04 PM   #23
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Thanks for that link. The issue is deep inside the QtWebEngine Chrome extensions loading code that does not support arm64 page sizes in Qt 5.15.x which is needed for pdf support. The bug was in Chrome code. It works just fine in Qt6's newer QtWebEngine/Chrome codebase and we will be moving to Qt6 quite soon. So supporting Qt 5.15.x makes little sense for arm64 macs.

FWIW, Qt6.5.2 builds out of the box on arm64 macs running Ventura with no build patches needed.

Last edited by KevinH; 07-23-2023 at 07:25 PM.
Old 07-25-2023, 07:18 PM   #24
democrite
Evangelist
democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.

Device: none
Volunteer needed for Mac (Apple Silicon) arm64 build test

Just saw the post about the move to Qt6.

Last edited by democrite; 07-25-2023 at 07:23 PM.
democrite is offline   Reply With Quote