Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 03-23-2019, 12:51 PM   #16
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectralis View Post
I'd like to use your monitor mods but I can't find them and don't know which one is the best for my needs
The latest. (Which in this case I believe to be that with index "3", 'Monitor_Mod3.apk.zip'.)

Quote:
I searched through that huge monitor thread but got lost
You see in the threads list ( .../forumdisplay.php?f=220 ) those icons that look like piles of documents? That is the "attachments in this thread" list. Not perfect, surely helpful.
And especially, there where you have the "Search" function in the bar above, you have an "Attachment search" in the submenu. There you search, e.g., for "Mod3". And that takes you to the post, with index and narrative, not just to its attachment.

Quote:
It would be great if there was a locked thread where Max 2 mods (with a brief explanation) could be found
Files (including customized applications), mine for sure, are all over the place.
Yes, we could have used the wiki much more, referencing posts.

Quote:
I'm using Win10 home which doesn't support VNC apparently. I'd need to upgrade to the pro version I think
No no no no no: VNC is supposed to work pretty much anywhere. There is no such thing such as "being supported". By whom?
Your computer runs software: run VNC software on it (a VNC server). Then run other VNC software on the tablet (a VNC client).

Quote:
I'm a writer and not a tech expert
That may seem to mean that if you can drive you can't cook and if you can breathe you can't digest.
You may have noticed that tech is everywhere and there to be a tool. So you may want to get a bit more of it. Or, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, first pages, the Family Who Would Not Repair a Faucet (and Risks Being Stranded Riding Motorbikes in the Middle of Nowhere).

Quote:
switching to Linux or programming anything too complicated is beyond me. I suspect that a number of people who want to use the Max 2 as a eye-friendly monitor are not exceptionally tech savvy like me.
And nobody says you have to. Even to make things work.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 06:23 PM   #17
Spectralis
Enthusiast
Spectralis began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Max 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faeryink View Post
@Spectralis
Have you tried spacedesk? I use it with my win7. laptops and max. 2 pro. I can use my wacom pen or touch to scroll or navigate.
Wow! Thanks mdp. It actually works on my 14 year old laptop with Win 10 x32. Max 2 acts as an extended screen. My laptop is connected to the internet via ethernet while the Max 2 is wifi so I'm not sure how it's connecting but it works. I'd like to duplicate the screen on the Max 2 but Win 10 only has the following options: extend screen (default) or use either screen 1 or screen 2. I can't find an option to duplicate the screen.

The mouse is still sluggish but I can now use the Max 2 touch screen for everything including spelling correction in Openoffice. Touch with the pen is much faster. I'm using A2 mode because normal mode seems unable to update the screen and looks like it has frozen. Perhaps I need to adjust the refresh rate in normal mode? The A2 looks a bit washed out but no worse than when connected via HDMI.

The great thing about Spacedesk is that if I use my miniPC I won't need to plug in lots of cables and be tied down to it. My only concern is how secure this connection is because I normally use only a wired internet connection to my PC/laptop. Is it possible to secure the Spacedesk connection by using encryption?

I wonder what the best way is to improve the visual appearance on the Max 2 (such as contrast) or if it's possible to improve the mouse movement when using Spacedesk? A duplicated screen would also be my preference but is that possible?

Last edited by Spectralis; 03-23-2019 at 06:25 PM. Reason: I can't spell!
Spectralis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2019, 06:37 PM   #18
Spectralis
Enthusiast

Thanks also for the advice about how to use search to find your Mods, mdp. Before learning that, I combed through the whole thread and found them all. But I think your Spacedesk suggestion fits the bill. I know I'm not completely computer illiterate but when I see posts filled with coding and read the word "Linux" it puts the fear of god in me.

Last edited by Spectralis; 03-23-2019 at 06:41 PM.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:10 PM   #19
Spectralis
Enthusiast

I've worked out why the duplicate/mirror display option is missing. My laptop uses Windows display driver WDDM 1.1. I need the WDDM 2.1 driver or I need to fall back on the MS basic driver for the mirror display option. I don't think I want to risk installing new drivers or uninstalling current drivers in case something goes wrong.

I found some payware called "Actual Multiple Monitors" but not sure if that will work either. I might try the 30 day trial.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:10 PM   #20
Spectralis
Enthusiast

I've got Spacedesk working with my miniPC now. It allows me to duplicate the display on monitor 2. I've also improved the contrast by adjusting the Spacedesk app contrast. A question I hope someone can answer:

1. Can I adjust the monitor resolution to whatever I like or is there a maximum that the Max 2 can handle? Atm I've set it to 1440x1080 which seems the best Win 10 desktop size for me.

This is the dogs proverbials. I can sit anywhere and type and edit away without any lag using a BT keyboard and the touch screen. I wish the Max 2 had a backlight for those darker areas but I'm planning to get a Note Pro so that should solve that problem.
Advert
Old 03-24-2019, 05:24 PM   #21
Faeryink
Zealot
Faeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmos

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2
Hi Spectralis, Glad spacedesk worked fo you to some extent. Like yourself I use Max 2 Pro for writing and I even watch videos. Yes you will have to play around with the settings in Spacedesk itself (there is a dropdown thing in settings but apart from that I dont really know). I like Spacedesk as I don't have to be tangled up with cables.

To improve the contrast, the best combination I found so far is direct screen illumination and indirect light (ambient) in the surrounding.My boyfriend constructed a cradle for my Max 2 Pro using Lego pieces for me that attaches onto my Logitech bluetooth keyboard and it has a usb light attached to it. The usb light illuminates the Max 2 screen and also I have a desk lamp. (I will post a photo of my setup tomorrow.) In the sunlight the usb light is enough for me. There is not a lot that can be done with the contrast apart from the ambient light I am afraid. But I found that light the Max 2 Pro with different light sources helps, even in direct sunlight. I have to agree after using it for many months that backlight would have helped with the contrast. I bought Likebook Mars 2 months ago and its so crisp and clear but unfortunately only 7.8 inches. (it has a front light and 300 PPI) .. But I use both of them as extended screens.
Faeryink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:04 PM   #22
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faeryink View Post
I like Spacedesk as I don't have to be tangled up with cables
Wireless connectivity suggests worse performance.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:20 AM   #23
Faeryink
Zealot
Faeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmos

Hi mdp, Its not that bad really. In the past few years I used to play around with Linux and opening and changing hardware. It was fun. But I have become really lazy. I just try the least effort approach. Currently, I am writing my novels and working on my art projects. So I work with text files multiple documents. And running some analysis (infrared spectrophotometer) on my art materials and experiments (data analysis). So its really convenient to switch between devices.
I am using the lower resolution as I prefer to have my text large (without changing the formatting). Sure this will be taken as a negative point, but I am honestly fine with it. I do see a lag when watching videos though but only sometimes, but not when I am working with text documents/data analysis. I am ok with it as I get more portability and the option to switch between different devices. I am not after high resolution but bigger fonts and clarity, as its not so taxing on my eyes. Now this is strange but the native monitor app is really annoying to use with my Elitebook 2760p running windows 7, there is a mouse trail and the screen blinks/flashes. (It could have been the VGA to HDMI adapter). But I had the same issue with my Dell which is fairly new and has a HDMI output. I had the same issue with my Thinkpad X220 (Dport to HDMI adapter) with both windows 10 and windows 7 (havent tried the hackintosh yet I installed it on a different hard drive). I tried VNC and it was an awful experience. Not sure whats different but Spacedesk was much easier to run and worked better. Spacedesk is really useful when you dont have a HDMI port on the laptop. Yes, adapters work but I had issues.
I tried Splashtop streamer with my Macbook Pro retina (late 2013 model running Mojave OS) and the experience was dismal. The screen was pulsing a lot, so I will explore some settings. The monitor app is better for the Macbook.
In my experience both monitor app and spacedesk (or alternative apps) have their strengths and weaknesses and eventually its down to the individual preferences/requirements. But I would say it's worth trying both options to see what works. I use both depending on what I am doing and where I am. I even sometimes just use the native Word app on the Android to type my documents and it is really good. I just wish that Onyx had enabled split screen option for allow to working on two documents or two different windows.

Last edited by Faeryink; 03-25-2019 at 07:07 AM.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:47 AM   #24
Faeryink
Zealot

Here is my set up of Onyx Max 2 Pro using it as a portable laptop. My boyfriend made the attachment/cradle using Lego pieces and it slots onto the Logitech Bluetooth Keyboard (K480). I have a dial on the keyboard which changes the channel. So I can switch between 3 devices. You can get a bigger keyboard but its a bit on the heavy side. I also use a desk lamp for ambient light. The photos are taken without the lamp. There is a cable running to power the usb light, but I also have a battery operated light if I am on the move. Not sure if I can upload the photos here but here is a link:
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ak3ULCGcnIfJqjIiIs8Zaky3fczj

Last edited by Faeryink; 03-25-2019 at 06:55 AM.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:25 PM   #25
Spectralis
Enthusiast

My apologies Faeryink, it was you who suggested Spacedesk which is brilliant. Much less washed out than the monitor app. I haven't tried mdp's Mods yet so can't compare. Your light cradle is like an art installation in itself. What a wonderful piece of work your boyfriend has made there. Sadly I have no significant other atm to sort out my technical needs so I can be left in peace to create. But I'm working on that! I also have an LB Mars and never thought to try Spacedesk with it but will now. Using a BT keyboard and finger/pen touch I'm not noticing any significant delays. It's just like using the Max 2 with a BT keyboard except that the resolution is not so good. But it's much more convenient because I can use Windows apps and also save multiple copies to USB. Even tho the Max 2 is very reliable I was always worried that I might lose edits or documents before I could transfer them to PC. Wonderful stuff!

My ultimate portable set up will be a Note Pro with an 11" laptop. The laptop will run Win10 while the Note Pro will act as the screen via Spacedesk. I'll place it over the laptop screen which will act as a backrest and use the laptop keyboard and pen to control everything. Roll on the Note Pro release date!
Old 09-11-2021, 11:40 AM   #26
bopsis
bopsis began at the beginning.

Device: POCKETBOOK PRO 903, Microsoft Surface Pro, Onyx BOOX Max2
I'm wondering if there's a way how to bypass the battery? My Boox Max 2 battery has died and I'm thinking that even in the monitor mode with USB cable plugged in, the battery is being 'used' and thus it's lifetime is reduced. Thus, if the device is supposed to be used only as a monitor, why using the battery at all?
bopsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 05:06 PM   #27
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by bopsis View Post
Thus, if the device is supposed to be used only as a monitor, why using the battery at all?
If you achieve root access on your Onyx and then install Advanced Charging Controller (ACC by vr25, look up on github - you can install the apk right away), you can at least limit the maximum charging percentage. For example, 60%. This way the battery will not wear out that quickly as being constantly at 100%.

If you are lucky and your Onyx kernel has support, you can enable "Prioritize battery idle mode" - which does exactly what you ask, using the charging cable to supply power directly to the device not using the battery at all.

On Onyx Boox Kon-Tiki 2 I don't have this, example.
mergen3107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 04:31 PM   #28
bopsis
bopsis began at the beginning.

Device: POCKETBOOK PRO 903, Microsoft Surface Pro, Onyx BOOX Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
If you achieve root access on your Onyx and then install Advanced Charging Controller (ACC by vr25, look up on github - you can install the apk right away), you can at least limit the maximum charging percentage. For example, 60%. This way the battery will not wear out that quickly as being constantly at 100%.

If you are lucky and your Onyx kernel has support, you can enable "Prioritize battery idle mode" - which does exactly what you ask, using the charging cable to supply power directly to the device not using the battery at all.

On Onyx Boox Kon-Tiki 2 I don't have this, example.
Sounds like exactly what I was looking for! Thanks a lot, I'll try it out once get the battery replaced.
bopsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 04:12 AM   #29
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
@bopsis

You are welcome!

Just don't get crazy with the command line. If you stick to apk, it is pretty safe.

By the way, if you go the GitHub page and scroll a little (here the link to that section), you can find how to submit device-specific logs. I did this with my device and got a better support of voltage control in the next update, about a week after that. So if not kernel support, but the device support overall might be better if you contribute.
mergen3107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 04:58 AM   #30
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: 13.3" Boox Max2, 7" Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
I hope it would work for you but my recent experiment with dead battery might suggest it won't work. I recently replaced battery in Max2 because it was holding charge only for a few minutes. When I had the tablet open I did experiment to see if it would work without the battery. Having the battery disconnected I applied USB charger. It worked but it was really slow. It might mean that some power management driver slowed it down because couldn't properly initialize the battery charging, but it might also mean that the power from USB is insufficient to run full speed.
plusz is offline   Reply With Quote