Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-14-2016, 03:32 PM   #16
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I got one of these things late on Prime day. I was enabled elsewhere and when I saw it had a stainless steel insert, I was sold. I had electric pressure cookers in the past and they had non stick coating. Which of course peeled after short time. I even got a replacement insert from the company, peeled again. I am done with non stick. No matter how careful I am, it always peels.

So I am really exited about having a pressure cooker again. I didn't really spend much thought on what else it can do so I hope I can pick up some ideas from this thread. I slow cook already in a regular slow cooker and I will try to make some of those recipes in the insta pot instead. I don't always remember to start cooking early in the day as you have to for slow cooking.

Had to check which one it was I got and it says DUO60. Its regular $119, wow that was quite the deal on it on prime day.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 03:37 PM   #17
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I hate to ask, since I passed the deal up -- but how much was it yesterday?
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2016, 03:41 PM   #18
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
I make a big batch of steel cut oats and then just microwave a serving every morning.

2 cups steel cut oats
1 chopped apple
1/4 cup raisins
1 tblsp hemp seeds, chia seeds, flax seeds or any other hippie food
2 cups milk of your choice (I like almond)
4 cups water
cinnamon or vanilla if you like

Seal vent and press Manual for 4 minutes. Let pressure release naturally.
Nice recipe! But that won't tempt me to buy one. I nuke 1 c of water to boil, stir in ~1 c dry old-fashioned oats (& some steel cut oats for texture) and then eat it 2 minutes later. No cooking at all. I like the texture that way, though I also liked the (presumably) long-cooked oatmeal I was served in UK B&B's last fall.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 04:16 PM   #19
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Nice recipe! But that won't tempt me to buy one. I nuke 1 c of water to boil, stir in ~1 c dry old-fashioned oats (& some steel cut oats for texture) and then eat it 2 minutes later. No cooking at all. I like the texture that way, though I also liked the (presumably) long-cooked oatmeal I was served in UK B&B's last fall.
You can use a regular slow cooker for that recipe.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 01:35 PM   #20
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Nice recipe! But that won't tempt me to buy one.
Which foods do you like? We'll find some reason why you have to buy one
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2016, 01:38 PM   #21
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
You can use a regular slow cooker for that recipe.
Many recipes for the Instant Pot can be made in the slow cooker and vice-versa. The difference is SLOOO-OOOW vs. Instant! Not quite instant but relatively so.

Hard-boiled eggs are so easy to peel when cooked under pressure. Even farm fresh.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:40 PM   #22
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am ignoring you treadlightly in this thread.
I do not need another small appliance. Unless you want to get me a bigger kitchen.
Enabler.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:58 PM   #23
treadlightly
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I am ignoring you treadlightly in this thread.
I do not need another small appliance. Unless you want to get me a bigger kitchen.
Enabler.
The beauty of the Instant Pot is that it is 7 small appliances in One! You can put the slow cooker, rice cooker, steamer and electric skillet in storage! I DID THIS.

Another advantage over the slow cooker is for recipes that require browning first. You brown directly in the pot on Saute and then Pressure Cook or Slow Cook. One less pan to wash! Although I never Slow Cook anymore.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:10 PM   #24
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
The beauty of the Instant Pot is that it is 7 small appliances in One! You can put the slow cooker, rice cooker, steamer and electric skillet in storage! I DID THIS.

Another advantage over the slow cooker is for recipes that require browning first. You brown directly in the pot on Saute and then Pressure Cook or Slow Cook. One less pan to wash! Although I never Slow Cook anymore.
Well nobody told me this to entice me to buy it on Prime Day.

I'm just here because I like recipes. That's what started me on the interwebs many many moons ago!
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 03:13 PM   #25
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:

Agreed (except for the never slow cook anymore, I'm about 50/50 slow cook/pressure cook). Also, you can use the keep warm function as a Sous Vide cooker.

Still love my breadmaker though...
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 03:58 PM   #26
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
Well nobody told me this to entice me to buy it on Prime Day.

I'm just here because I like recipes. That's what started me on the interwebs many many moons ago!
I like recipes too. Though right now, I am questioning my sanity on cookbooks. I have a small collection.
(Small in comparison to the Library of Congress. )
Old 07-15-2016, 07:27 PM   #27
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
We got ours yesterday.
Last night's tender BBQ-style ribs in about an hour still amazes me.
Tonight, my wife surprised me with rice pudding when I got home.

It's batting a thousand so far.

I'm looking forward to trying steel cut oats, which is usually an overnight, slow cooker thing for us.

I expect we'll use it for slowcooking too, and maybe put the crock pot in storage.

And to badgoodDeb: it was under $70 yesterday.

Last edited by ApK; 07-15-2016 at 07:29 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:43 PM   #28
treadlightly
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
Agreed (except for the never slow cook anymore, I'm about 50/50 slow cook/pressure cook). Also, you can use the keep warm function as a Sous Vide cooker.

Still love my breadmaker though...
I've heard this Sous Vide term before but don't really understand what it is. What foods do you cook using this method?
Old 07-15-2016, 08:45 PM   #29
treadlightly
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
We got ours yesterday.
Last night's tender BBQ-style ribs in about an hour still amazes me.
Tonight, my wife surprised me with rice pudding when I got home.

It's batting a thousand so far.

I'm looking forward to trying steel cut oats, which is usually an overnight, slow cooker thing for us.

I expect we'll use it for slowcooking too, and maybe put the crock pot in storage.

And to badgoodDeb: it was under $70 yesterday.
Mmm ribs were really really good. I haven't tried rice pudding yet, and I don't know why not!
Old 07-15-2016, 09:00 PM   #30
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
Where can I get me some of that there instant pot?
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote