Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #1
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
is Manning Coles still in copyright?

I'm looking for Drink to Yesterday (1940) and Pray Silence (1940) (American title: A Toast to Tomorrow) by Manning Coles. I can't remember when the copyright extension cut in and whether these are in public domain yet or not. I've looked in the Library here, and at Project Gutenberg, and can't find them, so I suspect they're still in copyright. *sigh*
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
From Wiki:

Quote:
Manning Coles is the pseudonym of two British writers, Adelaide Frances Oke Manning (1891–1959) and Cyril Henry Coles (1899–1965), who wrote many spy thrillers from the early 40s through the early 60s....
Died in 1965, so in copyright everywhere.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2012, 12:23 PM   #3
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

oh, that's right - it has nothing to do with publication date and everything to do with when the author died. thanks, Harry - I tend to avoid the copyright discussions and so I forget these things.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:27 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
My pleasure.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:54 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
In the US the rights (for paper at least) are held by Rue Morgue Press.

It doesn't look like they do ebooks (if that's what you're wanting), but here's their contact info in case you wanted to check with them...

The Rue Morgue Press
87 Lone Tree Lane
Lyons CO 80540

Tel: 800-699-6214
Fax: 303-823-9799

E-Mail: ruemorguepress@gmail.com
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2012, 01:06 PM   #6
BeccaPrice
Wizard

I would like ebooks, yes, and $15 per book is pretty high for a 70+year old book. I'd like to re-read them, see whether they're as good as I recall, but not that much. Thanks for looking it up for me, Brian - it never occurred to me that they'd still be in print.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:47 PM   #7
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
If you are in the US, then abebooks has used copies of both in the $4-$5 range including postage.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:10 PM   #8
readerukn
readerukn began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
I found "a taste for tomorrow"

At 81 I was thinking of try to find books I read in my youth, I haven't bought an ereader not downloaded an ereader program for my laptop for we have an excellent public library but I found this when browsing and it seems to be free.

Good luck.

http://www.kobobooks.com/search/sear...+Coles%22books I read in my youth,

Last edited by readerukn; 01-30-2013 at 05:11 PM. Reason: missed words
readerukn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:22 PM   #9
BeccaPrice
Wizard

Thank you - I got it. Now all I need is the prequel, Drink to Yesterday.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:08 PM   #10
roosta
roosta began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
fadedpage have some of their books but not those 2

https://www.fadedpage.com/csearch.ph...0Cyril%20Henry
roosta is offline   Reply With Quote