Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-14-2019, 03:35 PM   #421
radbaddude
Addict
radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Ouch! I gave Come Out Tonight one and a half stars. That one and One Rainy Night I just didn't like.
Yeah the character writing is not great. Some sheer idiocy and cringy decisions. It reads fast so I'm powering through but not a good introduction to Laymon for me.. lol. I'm taking a break from the Expanse series (just finished book 5) and need to read some of these damn books I actually bought and not loaned.
radbaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 05:11 PM   #422
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by radbaddude View Post
Yeah the character writing is not great. Some sheer idiocy and cringy decisions. It reads fast...
That's fairly common with Laymon to be honest. His books are sorta like the old slasher movies. The thing is, for all their faults, Laymon can propel me through a book. Even with the ones I didn't like, I've never abandoned one of his books.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:57 AM   #423
Kieran Seymour
Addict
Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Joe Hill's NOS4A2 is 99p today in the UK.

amazon.co.uk | Kobo | Google Play

Quote:
Summer. Massachusetts.

An old Silver Wraith with a frightening history. A story about one serial killer and his lingering, unfinished business.

Anyone could be next.

We're going to Christmasland ...

NOS4R2 is an old-fashioned horror novel in the best sense. Claustrophobic, gripping and terrifying, this is a story that will have you on the edge of the seat while you read, and leaving the lights on while you sleep. With the horrific tale of Charles Manx and his Silver Wraith, Joe Hill has established himself as the premiere horror and supernatural thriller writer of his generation
Kieran Seymour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:54 AM   #424
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Zombies!: Tales of the Walking Dead edited by Stephen Jones is $1.99 at Amazon. I don't usually post anthologies, but authors here include:
  • Clive Barker
  • Robert Bloch
  • Ramsey Campbell
  • H. P. Lovecraft
  • Joe R. Lansdale
  • J. Sheridan Le Fanu
  • Edgar Allan Poe

A reviewer says this is essentially a reprint of The Mammoth Book of Zombies with an extra story by Jo Fletcher, so if you have that one, you may not need this one.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:02 PM   #425
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran Seymour View Post
Joe Hill's NOS4A2 is 99p today in the UK.

amazon.co.uk | Kobo | Google Play
So tempting! I love vampires, hate serial killers. Is it that a serial killer turns out to be a vampire? I'm back and forth on this one.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 02:08 PM   #426
Kieran Seymour
Addict
Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingManiac View Post
So tempting! I love vampires, hate serial killers. Is it that a serial killer turns out to be a vampire? I'm back and forth on this one.
I don't know, I'm afraid. I'll be finding out in about two years!
Kieran Seymour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 03:50 PM   #427
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingManiac View Post
You could Google "AMC NOS4A2" if you're looking for a spoiler answer. The first images that come up should answer your question.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:58 PM   #428
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Abandon by Blake Crouch is $1.99 at Amazon. I love me a good 'disappeared town' story.

Quote:
On Christmas Day in 1893, every man, woman, and child in a remote gold-mining town disappeared, belongings forsaken, meals left to freeze in vacant cabins—and not a single bone was ever found.

One hundred sixteen years later, two backcountry guides are hired by a history professor and his journalist daughter to lead them to the abandoned mining town so they can learn what happened. Recently, a similar party had also attempted to explore the town and was never heard from again. Now the area is believed to be haunted. This crew is about to discover, twenty miles from civilization with a blizzard bearing down, that they are not alone, and the past is very much alive.
Old 03-16-2019, 01:46 PM   #429
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

The Melting Dead by Doug Lamoreux is FREE!

Look at that title. Look at that price. Do you really need a synopsis to know if you're going to snag a copy? You do? Okay, here it is, Mr. Demanding:

Quote:
Everything they grab burns.

Everyone they touch dies.

Everything they kill comes back from the dead.

A secluded Mississippi River island is the perfect vacation getaway - until the space rocks land. A family is killed by searing radiation. The same cosmic force returns Dad, sis, and the two boys from the grave.

But they're deteriorating quickly; melting away. And they want your flesh.

Oh, look. Here come the tourists.

A B-movie between book covers, The Melting Dead is a roller-coaster ride that will burst your heart with fear and make your sides ache with laughter.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:50 AM   #430
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Hmm... Here's one I'm sharing mainly because it's a $0.99 author debut from a major publisher:

If You Go Down to the Woods by Seth C. Adams is $0.99 at Amazon.

Quote:
We were so young when it all happened. Just 13-years-old, making the most of the long, hot, lazy days of summer, thinking we had the world at our feet. That was us – me, Fat Bobby, Jim and Tara – the four members of the Outsiders’ Club.

The day we found a burnt-out car in the woods was the day everything changed. Cold, hard cash in the front seat and a body in the trunk… it started out as a mystery we were desperate to solve.

Then, the Collector arrived. He knew we had found his secret. And suddenly, our summer of innocence turned into the stuff of nightmares.
Nothing would ever be the same again…
It sounds pretty derivative of Stephen King's The Body and It mixed with Scott Smith's A Simple Plan. But hey, it's a buck.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:39 AM   #431
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Lovecraftian horror novel The Immortal Body by William Holloway is $0.99 at Amazon. I almost passed it by because the synopsis didn't sound very good. Ironically, a reviewer did a better job of saying what the book is about and convinced me to give it a whirl.

The following is from Robert DeFrank's review. The author owes him a favor:
Quote:
Holloway’s Lovecraftian supernatural thriller starts off strong, with a faith healer with genuine powers using his abilities to bestow some comfort to the afflicted (and to raise money to feed his own drug habit – healer, heal thyself) when the people who come for his blessing are instead infected with madness and a fanatical, murderous purpose.

Meanwhile, a young soothsayer who runs a spiritualist scam with her abusive mother and stepfather continues to hide her own secret: that she really can speak to the dearly departed of the clients who visit her. Then without warning, a routine séance becomes something terrifying when the spirits of the dead rise up and conduct their own campaign of terror.

And a veteran from World War II suddenly recovers his own buried memories of his encounter with the works of a Nazi occultist, and who realizes the blasphemous rituals are being repeated in the present day.

Some terrible force from beyond the spheres in reaching into reality through the gifts of these psychic sensitives and using their abilities to create instruments of its alien will, who shall commit blasphemous and ritualistic murders as part of an arcane enchantment to widen the rift between realities.

An unlikely group of heroes are brought together by some perceptive investigators attempting to comprehend the crimes and finding nothing that fits their paradigms. Reluctantly, they must come to accept that theirs is a fight against inhuman forces for the existence and sanity of the world itself.
The book is the first in a series, which is a strike against it. But for $0.99, what the hell.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:38 PM   #432
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Zombies!: Tales of the Walking Dead edited by Stephen Jones is $1.99 at Amazon. I don't usually post anthologies, but authors here include:
  • Clive Barker
  • Robert Bloch
  • Ramsey Campbell
  • H. P. Lovecraft
  • Joe R. Lansdale
  • J. Sheridan Le Fanu
  • Edgar Allan Poe

A reviewer says this is essentially a reprint of The Mammoth Book of Zombies with an extra story by Jo Fletcher, so if you have that one, you may not need this one.

Gotta love zombies. All they want is one thing...
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 03:15 PM   #433
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Gotta love zombies. All they want is one thing...
My money in their pockets! Lousy, thieving zombies...
Old 03-22-2019, 02:49 PM   #434
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Alan Dean Foster's science fiction/horror Into The Out Of is on sale for $1.20 at Amazon. Not a great book, but I enjoyed it when I read it years ago.

The new cover is dull compared to the original.

Quote:
Earth is being invaded by the shetani—-spirit creatures so small and stealthy that only one man knows about the increasing peril. The potential savior is an African elder named Olkeloki who is capable of fighting evil both in this world and the spirit one. But to be successful he must recruit the help of two others: government agent Joshua Oak and a feisty young woman named Merry Sharrow. Only the three of them can keep the shetani from destroying reality as we know it.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:23 PM   #435
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
^ Hey! Didn't I just get this?!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote