Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Server

Notices

Old 12-13-2018, 05:24 AM   #1
fxwegr
fxwegr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Library write protectet on sharing over the net

I use Calibre in a local network with several users. All users, except me, should only be able to read the library. But ,in the account settings, the option to remove the write permissions does not seem to work. What can I do?

I use Calibre 3.35 on Ubuntu 18.4. The client systems are MS Window based. Web Browser is Firefox.
fxwegr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 07:43 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
what does does not work mean? you mean you cannot uncheck it?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2018, 05:05 AM   #3
fxwegr

No, I mean that the edit- and delete button remain usable in the web-servers GUI.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:13 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

they remain clickable, but when you actual try to deelte for save your edits you will get an error.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:19 AM   #5
fxwegr

I see. From a technical point of view, would not it be easier to hide the edit and delete buttons? A user has to feel upset.
Advert
Old 12-16-2018, 07:26 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Sure it would be easier, but the user will have no way to know why the buttons are not visible.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:50 AM   #7
fxwegr

Yes you are right. But I think a user who has no change rights does not need to know that for other user a change rights exist. For the user with change rights, the buttons could be displayed as normal. What do you think about that?
Old 12-16-2018, 09:27 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

whether they need to or not, they can easily be aware of it and be confused if they are not aware of the restrictions on their account.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:08 AM   #9
fxwegr

A library usually is a multi user system. It consists of a librarian and several library users. Basically, a library user should not have the rights of a librarian. As a result, he does not need to know that he could have the rights of a librarian. The currently offered webserver-GUI confuses in this point and causes queries. I think it would be nice if you thought it over.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:05 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxwegr View Post
A library usually is a multi user system. It consists of a librarian and several library users. Basically, a library user should not have the rights of a librarian. As a result, he does not need to know that he could have the rights of a librarian. The currently offered webserver-GUI confuses in this point and causes queries. I think it would be nice if you thought it over.
Only you seem to be confused. Folk have been using Calibre for Years (although the write feature is more recent. ) . Not showing a button or menu is more confusing when someone helping says Click THAT and there is no THAT. (I am a fan of greyed out items, but not all the OS tools support that. Grey say you don't have the right to use at that point)

BTW You are arguing with the Creator of Calibre
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 02:37 PM   #11
fxwegr

Your tone leaves much to be desired. It looks like you did not understand what this is about. And yes, I know what role Kovid plays in this project. Please get distance from further posts.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:04 AM   #12
fxwegr

OK. Good as well.