Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Server

Notices

Old 11-24-2018, 04:27 PM   #1
soniabu
soniabu began at the beginning.

Device: tablet
Question Calibre Server dont connect

My system is Xenialpup 7.5 (Puppy-LINUX)
firefox 63 and calibre 3.34; I have opened doors and forwarded.
Following this guide: http:///manual.calibre-ebook.com/server.html
I started the server and connecting with 127.0.0.1:8080
I could try the user and password function and open the library to see and download books. The next step to try the same functions from a LAN terminal (PC with same system and same firefox), Firefox communicates that it is impossible to connect: 192.168.1.2:8080.
If there was someone among you to show me where to start investigating, I'll be grateful.
sonia

Last edited by soniabu; 11-24-2018 at 04:38 PM. Reason: lost info
soniabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 06:18 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
How are these devices connecting? Wired? WiFi client, wired Host?

BTW It does not matter what OS the client runs because it uses a standard Web Browser like Firefox, Explorer...
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2018, 05:36 AM   #3
soniabu

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
How are these devices connecting? Wired? WiFi client, wired Host?

BTW It does not matter what OS the client runs because it uses a standard Web Browser like Firefox, Explorer...
excuse Ducks, is true; I forgot to inform you that the PCs are both connected with ethernet cable to the router.
Thank theDucks for your reply and clarification.
sonia

Last edited by soniabu; 11-25-2018 at 05:46 AM.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:52 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniabu View Post
excuse Ducks, is true; I forgot to inform you that the PCs are both connected with ethernet cable to the router.
Thank theDucks for your reply and clarification.
sonia
Thanks for the details. We can eliminate WiFi peer issues.
Firewall is where to look. Whitelist calibre.exe and calibre-server.exe

Localhost is inside many firewalls, that is why it worked
Old 11-25-2018, 12:22 PM   #5
soniabu

Quote:
Thanks for the details. We can eliminate WiFi peer issues.
Firewall is where to look. Whitelist calibre.exe and calibre-server.exe

Localhost is inside many firewalls, that is why it worked
Ducks understood for the localhost; but these commands: calibre.exe and calibre-server.exe are not available in Linux.
However Ducks, to cut the head off the bull , I also turned off the firewall, and ... fantastic
I can see from other PC in LAN my library, well, anyway, there was a step forward. Now I try to understand what I have in the firewall who stumble, before trying via the Internet public address.
thx Ducks

Last edited by soniabu; 11-25-2018 at 12:39 PM.
Advert
Old 11-25-2018, 02:59 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Both of those are core programs in all OS.
Been a while since I ran a Linux box, but IIRC they used to install in a a sub folder in /opt

Last edited by theducks; 11-25-2018 at 06:25 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-25-2018, 03:07 PM   #7
soniabu

Quote:
Both of those are core programs in all OS.
Been a while since I ran a Linux bock, but IIRC they used to install in a a sub folder in /opt
wait wait, I try modify Firewall (very complicated)
thx for now.
sonia

Last edited by soniabu; 11-25-2018 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:21 PM   #8
soniabu

Then Ducks managed to modify the Firewall by opening the port ( is very simple in reality because it opens the firewall and activates an extras function from which a window allows you to enter 8080, tcp, udp etc.);
in fact, I was able by another PC in the LAN to see and use the functions of Calibre; Firewall was on.
Given the success I wanted to try via the Internet with my public address. I checked the port forwarding, and I ran for the test; but unfortunately nothing happened of what I hoped.
For the moment thank you very much Ducks for the technical and spiritual support.
a bientot
sonia
P.S. the story continues... until the next episode.

Last edited by soniabu; 11-25-2018 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:41 PM   #9
soniabu

Good news. I was able to connect from the LAN with https (building a certificate) using Openssl and following the instructions taken from this URL: https://deliciousbrains.com/ssl-cert...s-development/
Once I created the certificate I inserted it in Calibre sharing over net advanced section;
Finally with https://xxx.xxx.x.x:8080 I was able to read and download books. I have to say that https is very fast.
Now I should find the way to access from my ip pubblic.
see you soon, sonia
Old 12-04-2018, 09:48 PM   #10
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by soniabu View Post
Good news. I was able to connect from the LAN with https (building a certificate) using Openssl and following the instructions taken from this URL: https://deliciousbrains.com/ssl-cert...s-development/
Once I created the certificate I inserted it in Calibre sharing over net advanced section;
Finally with https://xxx.xxx.x.x:8080 I was able to read and download books. I have to say that https is very fast.
Now I should find the way to access from my ip pubblic.
see you soon, sonia
I recommend that you put your PC that has calibre sever on a reserve/static ip address in your router.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/static...disadvantages/

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote