Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-30-2011, 04:15 AM   #1
vaksam
vaksam began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350 - eventually...I hope!
Problems with Calibre Startup

Hi,

I've been having some problems every time I try to update Calibre from v 7.24 to any later version. The update installs successfully and Calibre opens, but after I shutdown my PC and restart any further attempts to open Calibre result in the same error message -

"Python Function Terminated unexpectedly
No module named win32event (Error Code 1)"

I have uninstalled and reinstalled without success, have tried deleting metadata.db in case it's that and have also deleted c:\Program Files\Calibre2 before reinstalling. In the past I've been able to roll back and use v7.24 without a problem, but now I'm having the same problem with this version.

I've run calibre-debug -g. The only output I get is this -

Starting up....
Started up in 1.23000001907
get_metadata cache: 2 calls, 50.00% misses

Please help! I love Calibre and just want to get it working

Thanks
vaksam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 04:37 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaksam View Post
I have uninstalled and reinstalled without success, have tried deleting metadata.db in case it's that and have also deleted c:\Program Files\Calibre2 before reinstalling. In the past I've been able to roll back and use v7.24 without a problem, but now I'm having the same problem with this version.
Emphasis mine- by doing that, you nuked your library. No fear, you can rebuild it (run calibredb restore_database before starting Calibre the next time).
As to your original problem, deleting Calibre2 got rid of the installed program, but not the settings. Try uninstalling, then manually deleting the Calibre settings folder (found in the application data in your profile, for WinXP it is in the documents and settings\%username% folder, the Calibre folder is, unsurprisingly, called calibre) and reinstalling.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2011, 05:57 AM   #3
vaksam

Hi,

Thanks for your reply!

Deleting the metadata folder was a suggestion to remedy a similar problem, think it was in case the .db file was corrupt. Just thought it would be worth a try - thanks for the info on restoring it.

I've just tried deleting the calibre profile - I'm using Windows 7 so this was in a slightly different place than XP - C:\users\appdata\roaming\calibre. Then uninstalled calibre and reinstalled v7.43. Installed and opened correctly (I noticed the difference when I reinstalled the new version with the profile deleted, it asked me to setup my reader/library details again).

Then I restarted my computer and tried to open Calibre - only to get the same error message as before. Is there anything else I can try? I really, REALLY don't want to lose Calibre
Old 01-30-2011, 06:15 AM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Is this only the GUI, or can't you start the command line tools as well?
Old 01-30-2011, 07:22 AM   #5
vaksam

The only command line tool I've used is calibre-debug -g.

This does seem to start Calibre up.
Advert
Old 01-30-2011, 07:58 AM   #6
Manichean
Wizard

"Does seem" or "starts it up"? It's kinda binary, you know- either it works, or it doesn't
Old 01-30-2011, 01:24 PM   #7
vaksam

Haha sorry does start it up

I thought I'd know better than that having actually had a crash course in binary and the whole concept of on or off this week for work reasons. Came out of it thinking maybe I need some kind of book like 'Binary for Dummies' to make it sink in.

Now I KNOW I need a book.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:58 PM   #8
Manichean
Wizard

Well, I'm out of ideas as to the real issue, but if you can start using calibre-debug -g, use that in the interim. I'm sure that if someone else has an idea, they will write.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:13 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaksam View Post
Hi,

Thanks for your reply!

Deleting the metadata folder was a suggestion to remedy a similar problem, think it was in case the .db file was corrupt. Just thought it would be worth a try - thanks for the info on restoring it.

I've just tried deleting the calibre profile - I'm using Windows 7 so this was in a slightly different place than XP - C:\users\appdata\roaming\calibre. Then uninstalled calibre and reinstalled v7.43. Installed and opened correctly (I noticed the difference when I reinstalled the new version with the profile deleted, it asked me to setup my reader/library details again).

Then I restarted my computer and tried to open Calibre - only to get the same error message as before. Is there anything else I can try? I really, REALLY don't want to lose Calibre
You keep using the term "Meta-data folder". I don't think it means what you think it means" (thank you Princess Bride)

There is your Library folder (with Metadata.db and folders for authors.
There is the Program folder (Calibre2)
and there are User settings (hidden. you may have to unhide) "Calibre" is in: .config in Ubuntu.
C:\documents and settings\<logon name>\Application data in XP

This folder will be recreated if missing, just set your old library location in the startup wizard.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote