Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-05-2019, 05:33 AM   #1
AnneT
Groupie
AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox i62HD, Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura H2O, Boox Poke Pro
Boox Poke Pro - first impressions...

After my latest question on this board, someone asked me for my impressions about the Poke Pro.
I realize that most users of this board choose Boox for its larger devices, but since I already wrote that review, I thought I might post it here as well...

I got my Boox Poke Pro on Monday, so this really are just my impressions after a few days of use.

This Boox is not my first (I also had the i62HD, and a very bad experience with the T68), but over the last few years I used an (epub) e-reader that was somewhat 'tied to a bookstore' (although I sideloaded all my books).
The Boox Poke Pro is my first 6inch device, my other ereaders all had a somewhat larger screen.
I was afraid that this smaller screen would put me off, but I have to admit that the light weight of my new device seems to be its major advantage...

- Compared to my other device, there seems to be less contrast between text and background. I took a picture, and you see that the Boox' background is just a tad darker. (The led lights are switched off on both devices).

In the pre-installed Neo reader (v2), you can adjust the contrast (here: highest contrast), and I also made the text just a little bit bolder than normal, and then it's quite good to read, especially with a bit of illumination.
But I bought this reader because I wanted to read books from Scribd in E-ink, and although I had no problem installing this app, it doesn't allow enough customization: the text is never completely black, but dark grey, and so the contrast isn't really good enough. (Of course, the lack of customization is not a boox problem, but inherent to the Scribd app.)

(Sorry, didn't bother to change the font to a sans serif font).

- Just as with the Boox T68, the use of the keyboard is rather difficult. When you tap in the middle of a 'key', chances are (very) high that you get another letter typed. Most of the time you have to tap just below the key, to have the right symbol (and when typing complex passwords, this turns out to be a rather cumbersome operation).

- All in all, the screen isn't very responsive. Often I have to tap more than once for a pageturn (and as I'm a very fast reader, and there is less text on a screen than on my previous devices I have to turn pages very often, and this gets annoying).

- I don't know yet how to evaluate the battery. When I got it it was about 95% charged, but I charged it fully immediately.
I had several days off this week, so I have been reading more than average, and since the text is less crisp than on my other device I always had the lights on, and I'm now at no more that 53% charge, where I'm used to charge my other reader less than once a month. (Power save mode was on for my Boox). But as said, probably it's just because I have been reading more than average, and I have been tinkering with the device quite a lot...

- I like the fact that I can install many android apps, and that I can arrange my homescreen just as I like, but to be honest... my reading experience is better with my older device.
AnneT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:35 PM   #2
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Here are my experiences so far. Overall I am happy with it.
The light is very even. Both colors are good. Not a fan of the sliding scale but its no big deal. I have sensitive eyes and I can use it in a pitchdark room.
I have installed a lot of apps via sideloading and it can take anything. I rooted it with evil kingroot but I need root for button saviour. I use it a lot.
The UI is okay. Not as good as relaunch so I might run relaunch. That is the beauty of this beasty. You can customize.
The screen and contrast are good enough. I'm used to a nook STGL and a Paperwhite 2. Its comparable to the PW.
The screen sensitivity is on the weak side, but again its okay. I installed perfect keyboard and I get excellent results of accuracy when typing.
I generally use an old version of alreader with goldendict, and selecting words takes two touches. But the word select is fine in neoreader. I've just grabbed a bunch of bgl dictionaries co verted to stardict so I expect to move to neoreader when reading other languages where I use the dictionary a lot.
I'm glad I got the pro. The OS uses some of the RAM so I think 8 gb would be restrictive. I need 16 gb because I'm always installing stuff etc.
A weak point is the battery. I wouldn't trust a single charge on a long flight. I need to install an app to see what processes are sucking it up. Maybe its just the fast CPU and Android 6. I don't care much. I recharge and keep on backup nook on lonv journeys. The poke turns itself off completely. I dumped that and set it to sleep instead. I put it to sleep via button savior.
Browsing on it is really good with a2 mode. Real smooth and not much ghosting. Impressive. I installed bromite on it and it worked. Using button saviour I flip around beteen alreader, the browser and instapaper. Amazing stuff. Sucks battery while you do it though.
Overall I like it. Its a fun toy and ereader.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:54 PM   #3
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Update: Ive been using the preinstalled neoreader and am getting the same problem. Selecting a word for lookup generally requires two presses. Its odd. Its like the screen needs to wake up. I also find the same behaviour when selecting a book from the library. It often takes two presses. I find page turning generally okay. But the touch screen is sub par. Dissapointing. Its not a cheap device. I'm happy with the reader but the touchscreen sensitivity is wooden. I'm surprised onyx let it be like this.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:00 PM   #4
cqman
Groupie
cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle DXG, Onyx Boox Max1, Max2, Nova, Hisense A5 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Update: Ive been using the preinstalled neoreader and am getting the same problem. Selecting a word for lookup generally requires two presses. Its odd. Its like the screen needs to wake up. I also find the same behaviour when selecting a book from the library. It often takes two presses. I find page turning generally okay. But the touch screen is sub par. Dissapointing. Its not a cheap device. I'm happy with the reader but the touchscreen sensitivity is wooden. I'm surprised onyx let it be like this.
Change from battery saving mode to normal mode may solve your problem.
cqman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 10:19 PM   #5
Pajamaman
Wizard

It fixed it. The screen is now appearing to respond normally. Thanks.

Edit: correction. It makes no difference. Same problem.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 01-20-2019 at 10:26 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:32 PM   #6
jb123
jb123 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke Pro
Pajamaman, how did you root Poke Pro with kingroot? I've tried but can't get it to work
jb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 07:17 PM   #7
Pajamaman
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb123 View Post
Pajamaman, how did you root Poke Pro with kingroot? I've tried but can't get it to work
Do it with the PC version. Not the Android version.

Edit. Try with oldest android version of kingroot you can find (it might work), then you should be able to replace it with super-sume. If that doesn't work, then use the pc version, but super-suke doesn't appear to work with it.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 01-21-2019 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:33 AM   #8
jb123
jb123 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Do it with the PC version. Not the Android version.

Edit. Try with oldest android version of kingroot you can find (it might work), then you should be able to replace it with super-sume. If that doesn't work, then use the pc version, but super-suke doesn't appear to work with it.
Perfect. Thanks. I used old version kingroot 4.5 for Android and it worked plus Supersume. Now I can use Xposed Framework for App Settings to change per app dpi and font sizes and Xposed Additions to customize the one physical button to be a little more useful (like recent apps, home, page-turning) plus xKindlemod to tweak the Kindle app and Fonter to force individual apps to use all black text for easier eink reading

Last edited by jb123; 01-24-2019 at 08:24 AM.
jb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 08:43 PM   #9
Pajamaman
Wizard

Update: the touch screen is okay in general. Its a bit innacurate at the bottom. I have to tap a little lower. Above the bottom it is acceptable.

Where it can be a pain is when long tapping in a book to select a word for lookup. It is strange. What happens is that the screen seems to need to wake up to the long tap. So the first long tap doesn't register, then I tap again and it registers. I can continue to select words immediately after and they all register accurately and promptly.

However, if I then pause for about a second, again it doesn't register. This only happens with long taps, not short. Odd. Im pretty sure its a software fault. I hope Onyx address the bug in an update.

What I tend to do now is do a quick page swipe. Then the word select works immediately. Bit of a pain though...Its only a big problem for me when reading in a second language where I use the dictionary a lot.

I also updated the keyboard with another keyboard and it works much better.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:49 PM   #10
bel3atar
Connoisseur
bel3atar began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
has anybody talked to customer service about the double tapping issue?
it bugs me too
bel3atar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:27 PM   #11
Pajamaman
Wizard

What customer service? I got it from a 3rd party seller.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:01 AM   #12
bel3atar
Connoisseur
bel3atar began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
I've sent an email to sales@onyx-international.com
bel3atar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 12:30 PM   #13
cd2013
Connoisseur
cd2013 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3G
OP, any updates on the battery life since your first post? Does it last much less than a Kindle Paperwhite or Kobo Aura H20?

Have you tried to install Calibre Companion?

How do you sync your books? Calibre companion, other app via wifi, manual cable connection to the PC?

Also, may I ask where you bought it?

Thanks!
cd2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:07 AM   #14
AnneT
Groupie
AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox i62HD, Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura H2O, Boox Poke Pro
@cd2013
I don't know about the Kindle Paperwhite, but although I use my Kobo Aura H2O more than my Boox Poke Pro, I have to charge the latter twice as often.
Installing and using Calibre Companion turned out to be very easy, so I mostly use that app to sideload my books.

I bought it at Booxtor's shop, ereader.store, but I just saw it isn't available there any longer.
AnneT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 09:05 AM   #15
cd2013
Connoisseur
cd2013 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3G
Thank you, that's very useful.

What would you say the advantages of an Onyx vs a dedicated, non-Android ereader are, then? Yes, I can run Android, but what would I want Android for, other than for Calibre Companion? Maybe an Onyx can sync sideloaded books better with Calibre (eg sync position, notes etc)? The more I think of it, the more it seems I might be better off with a Kobo.
cd2013 is offline   Reply With Quote