Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-07-2019, 09:13 AM   #46
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I've read all of the books on my ereader. Every single one of them.
I've read none of the books on my ereader.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:17 AM   #47
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I have read some of the books on my eReader. I have read quite a few more then once or even twice.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:23 AM   #48
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
i'm sorry that you don't have anything else ready to read if there is no network
"If there is no network" is pretty-much synonymous with "when hell freezes over" for me these days. I don't do "no network." Ever.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:49 PM   #49
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I've read none of the books on my ereader.
I've read none of the books on my ereader, but I am reading one of them. I'm a serial monogamist when it comes to my ebooks, and I always remove each from my ereader when I've finished it. The several dozen or so on my ereader are my TBR collection, and the rest reside in Calibre.

To answer the OP, I've read many hundreds of books on either an e-ink device or a tablet since first purchasing a Kindle Keyboard in 2011 (and several dozen before that on my old Palm Pilot).
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:58 AM   #50
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bougti View Post
I only had a few hundred books on my Kobo and found that it impacted response time considerably, which was a real disappointment, considering that it had the capacity to store thousands. Finding individual books was a pain, too. Soooooo sloooooooowwwww..
What model of Kobo was it?

I'm using a Kobo Aura, 1st edition. I have 3089 books on the SD card and haven't had issues scrolling through the library. Searching for a specific book isn't slow. Collections were super slow, but the latest firmware updates (I'm running 4.12) seem to have sped that up as well.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:49 PM   #51
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
In the past I've hardly ever had more than 50 books on any one ereader. Usually it's closer to 20 or 30 books. My current book will be there, along with a few books I think I might want to read very soon and maybe some books I want to look over a bit.

However when I got my Paperwhite 4 the only way I could get the 3G version was to get it with 32 gig and I've been experimenting since I have all that space. As I think of it I've been downloading more and more books to it. I currently have 140 books on it and I'm sure I'll have a lot more on it before I decide if I like doing this.

It does make browsing more difficult, not because it's slower. It's not. But just because there's so much more to browse through. In the past I'd always just page to the book I was looking for. Now I'm using search to find books. It takes forever to get to the book I want to look at. And that'll get worse as more books are added. I have well over 1,000 books in my Amazon library.

I'm not sure I'll keep doing this in the long run. It's easier just having a few books on board. But I'm going to play with it more. I paid for 32 gig and I'm entitled to use it.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 02:49 PM   #52
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
In the past I've hardly ever had more than 50 books on any one ereader. Usually it's closer to 20 or 30 books. My current book will be there, along with a few books I think I might want to read very soon and maybe some books I want to look over a bit.

However when I got my Paperwhite 4 the only way I could get the 3G version was to get it with 32 gig and I've been experimenting since I have all that space. As I think of it I've been downloading more and more books to it. I currently have 140 books on it and I'm sure I'll have a lot more on it before I decide if I like doing this.

It does make browsing more difficult, not because it's slower. It's not. But just because there's so much more to browse through. In the past I'd always just page to the book I was looking for. Now I'm using search to find books. It takes forever to get to the book I want to look at. And that'll get worse as more books are added. I have well over 1,000 books in my Amazon library.

I'm not sure I'll keep doing this in the long run. It's easier just having a few books on board. But I'm going to play with it more. I paid for 32 gig and I'm entitled to use it.

Barry
This is where I'm at. I have a "priority" TBR list that I set out for myself in January, and that list is what is on my reader. I'd say around 75 books.

I've never taken the time to figure out how collections work and how I can have calibre create them and import them into my KA1.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 02:58 PM   #53
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bougti View Post
I only had a few hundred books on my Kobo and found that it impacted response time considerably, which was a real disappointment, considering that it had the capacity to store thousands. Finding individual books was a pain, too. Soooooo sloooooooowwwww.
Rather different from my experience. I currently have over 8000 books on my Clara HD and finding an individual book is fast. Just start typing the title, author or series into the search field and watch the results populate as you type. Tap on the result you want and bob's your uncle. Admittedly, I don't use collections -- when you need either hundreds of collections or collections with hundreds of books, they are not all that useful.

There is noticeable hesitation when the database is updated but perhaps having a 643MB+ database on a device with 512MB of RAM was not the greatest idea. If I reduce the number of book to shrink the database, the hesitation seems to become unnoticeable but I didn't pop a 32GB uSD card into my Clara HD not to use the space.

Now if you are browsing through the libary 5 books per page, that does get slow and painful. That's why they invented search.

Last edited by DNSB; 01-16-2019 at 03:00 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:23 PM   #54
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Now if you are browsing through the libary 5 books per page, that does get slow and painful. That's why they invented search.
Search is only useful if you already know what you want to read. Not so much when you're trying to decide what to read.

I use the experimental browser to browse my Calibre library (Calibre-PHP server with custom template - 10 books with blurb per webpage). I also create EPUB/MOBI catalogs of my books with blurb for offline use. Calibre-PHP is much easier to use, though (dynamic sort, filter and search based on all metadata available in Calibre).

Last edited by ilovejedd; 01-16-2019 at 03:25 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:42 PM   #55
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Search is only useful if you already know what you want to read. Not so much when you're trying to decide what to read.
Generally, I go into the search with an idea of what I want to read. At times, I've typed random page numbers into the library goto page and picked a book off the page that popped up. I very seldom have a TBR list and when I do have one, it is less that 10 books (generally, my TBR is the latest Baen bundle I've downloaded but not started reading).

Quote:
I use the experimental browser to browse my Calibre library (Calibre-PHP server with custom template - 10 books with blurb per webpage). I also create EPUB/MOBI catalogs of my books with blurb for offline use. Calibre-PHP is much easier to use, though (dynamic sort, filter and search based on all metadata available in Calibre).
For me, the calibre server is more of a demo of what calibre can do for you. I've also used Excel with an exported calibre catalog in CSV format for it's search and sort capability. I've also used calibre's select a random book option -- it's in my library, I probably want to re-read it.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:59 PM   #56
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
That's undoubtedly true. I'm fortunate enough to typically have a pretty good idea of what I want to read next when I'm finishing up a current read.

But back to your point, collections/shelves/whatever you might call them can also be very handy.

With Calibre/Kobo, I can tag a book as Fantasy, Science Fiction, Horror, Mystery or what have you. Each of those categories is a collection on my Kobo. Then, I may not know what I want to read next, but I can browse my selection of mysteries if that's the mood I'm in and find something that way.

I gather this is much harder to do on Kindle and Nook though.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 04:14 PM   #57
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Generally, I go into the search with an idea of what I want to read. At times, I've typed random page numbers into the library goto page and picked a book off the page that popped up. I very seldom have a TBR list and when I do have one, it is less that 10 books (generally, my TBR is the latest Baen bundle I've downloaded but not started reading).
Going completely random wouldn't work for me. I usually know what genre/category/theme I'd like to read but I still need to look at the blurb before deciding on the book. Sorta like going through bookshelves and then reading the back blurb.

Quote:
For me, the calibre server is more of a demo of what calibre can do for you. I've also used Excel with an exported calibre catalog in CSV format for it's search and sort capability. I've also used calibre's select a random book option -- it's in my library, I probably want to re-read it.
Meanwhile, the server is my most-used feature (well, kind of since I don't actually use the built-in server but something like COPS). It's almost like having Calibre on my Kindle/Kobo.

Ever since I got the HTML templates sorted out so it plays nicer with e-ink limitations, I'm using my e-readers a lot more now whereas I used to do 99% of my reading on smartphones/tablets.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:40 PM   #58
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
That's undoubtedly true. I'm fortunate enough to typically have a pretty good idea of what I want to read next when I'm finishing up a current read.

But back to your point, collections/shelves/whatever you might call them can also be very handy.

With Calibre/Kobo, I can tag a book as Fantasy, Science Fiction, Horror, Mystery or what have you. Each of those categories is a collection on my Kobo. Then, I may not know what I want to read next, but I can browse my selection of mysteries if that's the mood I'm in and find something that way.

I gather this is much harder to do on Kindle and Nook though.
I purchased a jailbreakable Kindle just to have Calibre collections support.

That said, I can definitely understand what @DNSB is saying regarding having hundreds of collections or having hundreds of books in a collections. I have that in my Calibre library (where it's easy to search, sort and filter). However, I only keep a subset of books (favorites + latest additions) on my Kindle so browsing and search is more manageable. Alas, Kindle doesn't allow searching within collections. Not sure if that's possible with Kobo. I have the Kobo Aura HD and Glo HD but I prefer the Kindle ergonomics-wise so these are rarely (never) used.

If I'm not in the mood for any of the books on my Kindle, then I hit the Calibre server directly from the device's web browser. I'm usually too lazy to get up and plug it via USB.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:53 PM   #59
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I read 360 books in the 5+ years I had my first Kindle before it died. I have read nearly 350 on my second in the 3 years since. (Hopefully this one has a longer life than the first one.) I have also read about 60 on other platforms (my phone or computer, including audio books) since 2011.

I don't know how many my kids have read on the ereader I got them, I know it is at least several dozen but I have no way to find the total count. (I haven't been able to get them interested in tracking what they read. Yet.) It was used too so may have had hundreds read on it before I got it.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote