Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-12-2014, 10:16 AM   #1
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
How to Show Length of MP3 Files in Windows Explorer

I'm stumped and I need your help! In Windows Explorer the length of a WMA file is shown but it doesn't work for MP3 files. Is that normal, or do my settings need tweaking? If tweaking, what do I need to change? Thanks in advance.

(To make this forum-relevant, I need this info for audiobooks )
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:26 AM   #2
badgerboy
Wannabe
badgerboy began at the beginning.

Device: Nook HD+, Galaxy S3, PC
Make sure explorer pane is set to show 'details'. The side with the file-list will have a header row - name, date, type etc. Right click on the header row, and either select 'length' directly or through the 'more...' option. Your MP3s should now show their length in th file list.

Not a fan of audio-books, I can't concentrate on the audio like I can on words.
badgerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:39 AM   #3
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerboy View Post
Make sure explorer pane is set to show 'details'. The side with the file-list will have a header row - name, date, type etc. Right click on the header row, and either select 'length' directly or through the 'more...' option. Your MP3s should now show their length in th file list.
Thanks, I've tried this already; it only works for the WMA files, not the MP3s
Old 01-12-2014, 10:44 AM   #4
badgerboy
Wannabe
badgerboy began at the beginning.

Device: Nook HD+, Galaxy S3, PC
Very strange, it works on my MP3s, both those in a directory containing solely MP3s and directories of mixed files.
Win7 Ult. x64
badgerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:04 AM   #5
Loosheesh
Wizard

Quote:
Very strange, it works on my MP3s, both those in a directory containing solely MP3s and directories of mixed files.
Win7 Ult. x64
I'm baffled as well. My OS is Win 7 Professional, 64-bit.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:25 PM   #6
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
It shows for me as well in the status bar on WinXP SP3. I remember a time when it didn't though I had to jump through some hoops to get it to display again, but I can't find any info on how I did it anymore.

I wonder if it's not a setting within some media player or media info app, like Winamp, WMP, or Media Info, GSpot, etc.

Edit: Found one program for me that makes a difference with a setting. MediaInfo has a setting in Options/Preferences, Setup, for "Shell InfoTip". Without that option checked, I get very limited info, only the codec and file size. With it checked I get the full info including time of the mp3 file (or any media file).

Last edited by Ripplinger; 01-12-2014 at 02:18 PM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:32 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

Not a fan of audio-books, I can't concentrate on the audio like I can on words.
On XP:
The column is called Duration

The instruction to show typically applies only to the current folder

BTW the folders 'Type Template' needs to be Music...
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:44 AM   #8
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosheesh View Post
My OS is Win 7 Professional, 64-bit.
In that case, it works fine for MP3 files. I am using Win7 Pro 64 bit as well. Just configure the Explorer "Options" menu item in the upper right corner of the Explorer window to show "Content" and Explorer will show you file length in bytes as well as file length in minutes of run time for MP3 files.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:44 PM   #9
Rakuman
Rakuman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
My experience is different. Windows 7 Pro, SP1. Explorer will not show length in either details or content format UNLESS THE FILE IS ON A WINDOWS XP MACHINE. Yes, I can take a file on Win7, copy or move it to a WinXP machine, and then the length column will populate for that file. So I am still looking for a solution to this problem
Rakuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 11:16 PM   #10
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
My computer is Windows 7 Home Premium and "length" does show the length for MP3s. ("Duration" doesn't show anything.)
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:21 PM   #11
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I have both Windows 7 Home Premium and Windows 7 Professional. In both, the details such as name, type, size, length show up when I hover my mouse over the MP3, or other media, item.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:46 PM   #12
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
My computer is Windows 7 Home Premium and "length" does show the length for MP3s. ("Duration" doesn't show anything.)
Try displaying the "Length" field rather than "Duration".
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:38 PM   #13
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Yup it shows up under length.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:05 AM   #14
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Try displaying the "Length" field rather than "Duration".
yes, I said "length" does show the length
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote