Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-30-2018, 10:10 PM   #1
Lima7
Connoisseur
Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: Aura
Kobo Aura to Kobo Aura H20 2nd edition - Switch or not?

Hi everyone,

I own a Kobo aura (The pink one, which I believe to be the ''aura'' first version) and it's starting to get a bit slow, but still works just fine.

I am tempted by the Kobo aura H20 2nd edition and wonder if the switch is worth it. My current Kobo is a model from 2014 I think.

I've seen and held the h20 2nd edition and the screen quality seems quite better than my current Aura. Pages switch quicker too. But aside of this, is the extra money worth it ?

I can sell my current one so that's not an issue. I just wonder if the upgrade is worth it.

Note : I am not interested in the Aura One.

Thanks for your help
Lima7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 11:02 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Yes, the upgrade is worthwhile. But, only if you think it is.

The above is a serious statement. We can't tell you if the upgrade is worthwhile to you, only if we think it is worthwhile to us. We can tell you what we know of the differences, if that helps you decide. On that note I can say the Aura H2O Edition 2 has:

- Bigger screen - more text on screen.
- Higher resolution - makes the text easier to read.
- 8GB internal storage - four times the books as on the Aura.
- Waterproof - read safely in the bath.
- Comfortlight Pro - adjust the colour of the light to be more comfortable

The only things against it I can think of are:

- Larger
- Have to spend money on it.
- No external SD card.

If you look at those lists and nothing appeals to you, or the cons are important, then it probably isn't worthwhile. But, if you like them, then it probably is worthwhile.

And if, what you are really after is a bit of justification to do something that you want to do, then just go for it. You have had the Aura for a while, buy yourself a new toy and enjoy it
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 12:27 AM   #3
Lima7
Connoisseur
Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Yes, the upgrade is worthwhile. But, only if you think it is.

The above is a serious statement. We can't tell you if the upgrade is worthwhile to you, only if we think it is worthwhile to us. We can tell you what we know of the differences, if that helps you decide. On that note I can say the Aura H2O Edition 2 has:

- Bigger screen - more text on screen.
- Higher resolution - makes the text easier to read.
- 8GB internal storage - four times the books as on the Aura.
- Waterproof - read safely in the bath.
- Comfortlight Pro - adjust the colour of the light to be more comfortable

The only things against it I can think of are:

- Larger
- Have to spend money on it.
- No external SD card.

If you look at those lists and nothing appeals to you, or the cons are important, then it probably isn't worthwhile. But, if you like them, then it probably is worthwhile.

And if, what you are really after is a bit of justification to do something that you want to do, then just go for it. You have had the Aura for a while, buy yourself a new toy and enjoy it
Haha I love your response. Very true indeed.
I still like my aura but the fact that it is getting slower and slower is getting to my nerves. Also, I like the bigger and better screen of the h20. I was so impressed with it when I held it. BUT, I still think that my pink Aura design looks much better than the ugly new design (IMO) of the h20. But I guess that shouldn't influence my decision, it's only a colour after all!
Old 05-01-2018, 10:12 AM   #4
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lima7 View Post
Haha I love your response. Very true indeed.
I still like my aura but the fact that it is getting slower and slower is getting to my nerves.
Have you updated the firmware on your Aura?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:30 AM   #5
Lima7
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Have you updated the firmware on your Aura?
Never! I have read so many reviews from people who have had problems during updates...
Old 05-01-2018, 01:16 PM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Never! I have read so many reviews from people who have had problems during updates...
That might be part of your problem. I'm also using an old school Aura, updated to the latest firmware and it isn't slow. I'd recommend the update. What have you got to lose if you're getting ready to replace it anyway?

I held off on the most recent update, because I preferred the tile home screen.

Well, I still prefer the tiled home screen which is now gone. But the device is zippier than it was.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 05-01-2018 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:19 PM   #7
Lima7
Connoisseur

Quote:
That might be part of your problem. I'm also using an old school Aura, updated to the latest firmware and it isn't slow. I'd recommend the update. What have you got to lose if you're getting ready to replace it anyway?
True. I'm attracted to the bigger and better screen of the h20. But then again... the one I use is still a perfectly fine working device.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:22 PM   #8
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
True. I'm attracted to the bigger and better screen of the h20. But then again... the one I use is still a perfectly fine working device.
Yeah, the H2O2 does have a nicer screen for sure. Of course, you could update your current Aura and wait to see what the Kobo Clara HD turns out to be. Maybe you'll be glad you waited. If not, the H2O2 will still be around.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:25 PM   #9
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

One thing I did notice when I upgraded: The Aura seems to be slow to go to sleep. Like I slide the switch over and it takes the device a few seconds to go to sleep. But everything else is noticeably faster. And the slowness on going to sleep might be because of patches I installed.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:43 PM   #10
Lima7
Connoisseur

Quote:
Yeah, the H2O2 does have a nicer screen for sure. Of course, you could update your current Aura and wait to see what the Kobo Clara HD turns out to be. Maybe you'll be glad you waited. If not, the H2O2 will still be around.
Does it already have a release date?
Old 05-01-2018, 02:34 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Does it already have a release date?
Nope though I'm waiting for someone to suggest Mother's Day.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 02:58 PM   #12
Lima7
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Nope though I'm waiting for someone to suggest Mother's Day.
I read the 'rumours' so far online and they say they think it will be a 6'' or the return of the Mini and I'm not interested in one or the other... I still am attracted to the H20 screen!
Old 05-01-2018, 04:56 PM   #13
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have the Kobo Aura, also the pink one, as well as some Kindles and a new Nook. The screen on that Kobo isn't as sharp as my other readers and the light isn't nearly as even but when I read a book on it I forget about all that stuff. To me it's a perfectly good reader.

I have a neighbor with an H20, probably the first generation but I'm not really sure. It's screen is quite a bit better than the screen on my Aura but to me the main advantage of the Kobo, it's small size, is gone. I'm sure he wouldn't trade with me if I asked him to but I wouldn't trade if he asked me to either. I prefer my Kobo.

The differences are significant when you compare them side by side. The Aura screen just isn't as good. But it has very little to do with the reading experience.

However, I did recently buy the new Nook and a new Paperwhite even though I had the Kobo. To me the issue isn't so much should I as can I and do I want to.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 10:52 AM   #14
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
i upgraded from Aura to Aura H20 2nd edition last August and love it. I prefer the light on the H20 2nd edition and i can fit all my books on there with lots of space for more (last count 2,100 books )
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 02:24 PM   #15
Lima7
Connoisseur

I finally upgraded, and don't regret it. I sold my Aura (and now I regret it, I think I should've kept it, just in case), but I'm super happy with my H20 v2. The screen doesn't compare. But I got attached to my old Aura!