Old 04-22-2024, 07:32 AM   #1
rrr
rrr began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kobo Libra 2 ... CHAPTER 4 - 2 OF 5 ???

While reading, at the top of the page is something like "CHAPTER 4 - 2 OF 5"
What is this about?
What are the 5 that I am at 2 of?
How can I control what is at the top and bottom of a page?
rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 08:44 AM   #2
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrr View Post
While reading, at the top of the page is something like "CHAPTER 4 - 2 OF 5"
What is this about?
What are the 5 that I am at 2 of?
You are in the chapter with a caption "Chapter 4". There are 5 pages in the chapter, and you are currently on page 2 (of the chapter).

The heading can be turned off in the reading settings, I think.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2024, 10:27 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Or changed to % which is more portable.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 10:35 AM   #4
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Or changed to % which is more portable.
Maybe portable, but meaningless? % of what: 5 pages, 10, 20, 100
Old 04-22-2024, 11:12 AM   #5
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Boox Note Air 3C, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
You are in the chapter with a caption "Chapter 4". There are 5 pages in the chapter, and you are currently on page 2 (of the chapter).

It is a feature I really like. Being a long time Kindle user I was used to hitting the button that presented a grid of the page you on plus the ones before and the ones following. It was nice, but it you had more than 4 pages to go you had to flip through that grid to find out how much further until the end of the chapter. With this, a quick glance will let me know.
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2024, 08:28 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Maybe portable, but meaningless? % of what: 5 pages, 10, 20, 100
Not meaningless to know you are 50% or 90% through a chapter if you are wondering about stopping now or reading more. Pages are less meaningful on ebooks than paper.
Old 04-23-2024, 08:40 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Not meaningless to know you are 50% or 90% through a chapter if you are wondering about stopping now or reading more. Pages are less meaningful on ebooks than paper.
I prefer knowing how many pages I have left. That gives me more of an indication of how much I have left in a chapter then a %.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 08:46 AM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I disable both the header and footer. The progress bar is enough for me. I've never felt an urge to finish a chapter; I just stop whenever I want, even in the middle of a sentence.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 10:40 AM   #9
John F
Grand Sorcerer

My preferences for stopping: chapter, scene break, paragraph (at the top of a page).
Old 04-23-2024, 10:52 AM   #10
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
50% left in a chapter with 10 pages (or screens or whatever) is nowhere the same thing as 50% left in a chapter with 100 pages. Percentages are useless in this context.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 01:41 PM   #11
Croptop
Groupie
Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Pixel 8 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I prefer knowing how many pages I have left. That gives me more of an indication of how much I have left in a chapter then a %.
I'm the same. I know that, with a percentage, I could do the math but that would require me to remember how many pages I've actually read. With the "2 of 5" notation in the header, I know I've got 3 more page flips to get to the end of the chapter.

Like others have mentioned, I just can't bring myself to stop reading until I get to the end of a chapter. Again, the X of Y notation is better for me because it'll let me decide if I have enough time to read another chapter when I'm at the beginning of one. With just a progress meter, I'd have no real idea as to how many pages were in the upcoming chapter.

But that's the beauty of the Kobo firmware: regardless of what your preference for the headers and footers is, Kobo gives you a setting for it. So we can all go with what works best for us.
Croptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 01:43 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by icallaci View Post
50% left in a chapter with 10 pages (or screens or whatever) is nowhere the same thing as 50% left in a chapter with 100 pages. Percentages are useless in this context.
Discworld has no chapters. So you'd get % until the next HTML file. Each HTML file can be a different size. So you are best with page numbers (IMHO).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 04:01 PM   #13
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I just stop whenever I want, even in the middle of a sente
Fixed?
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 04:36 PM   #14
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallaci View Post
No, because you'd have an idea that 50% took ages or not long or whatever.

But some ebooks there is only % or pages for the book, even if there are chapters. So the progress bar on the bottom edge has some value.
Old 04-23-2024, 05:12 PM   #15
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:

But some ebooks there is only % or pages for the book, even if there are chapters. So the progress bar on the bottom edge has some value.
Probably because the TOC is faulty or missing.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote