Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-21-2023, 08:32 PM   #1
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Kindle Firmware 5.15.1.1

Amazon's Source Code Notice page is showing entries for new firmware version 5.15.1.1.

It applies to the same Kindle models that support the current 5.15.1 release. The Voyage and Scribe are excluded.

It is available for download on the Kindle E-Reader Software Updates page.

Quote:
Version 5.15.1.1 February 2023
Here's what's new:

Performance improvements, bug fixes, and other general enhancements.
There is a change in this firmware that affects jailbroken devices. Anyone who has a jailbroken Kindle should avoid this update for now. See this post for more information.

I will update this post with more information as it become available.

Last edited by jhowell; 02-23-2023 at 08:24 AM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 08:43 AM   #2
tekkasit
Groupie
tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, KV, KOA3
Now the update files can be direct access.

Oasis 3 (10 Gen) https://s3.amazonaws.com/firmwaredow...2_5.15.1.1.bin
tekkasit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2023, 10:02 AM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I took a look at the new Kindle firmware to see what has changed.

The files pubprodkey01.pem and pubprodkey02.pem have been moved from /etc/uks to a new archive named etc/uks.sqsh. I believe that these files have something to do with Kindle jailbreaking. Anyone who has a jailbroken Kindle might want to avoid this update until someone with more knowledge of the jailbreak process has had a chance to review this.

There is a new icon for Microsoft Word documents. This may relate to the announced upcoming ability to send documents directly from Microsoft Word to a Kindle Scribe. It is unknown whether this icon will represent an actual Word document on the device. I believe that it is more likely that it will be used for Kindle format docs converted from Word.
Old 02-22-2023, 11:43 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I believe that it is more likely that it will be used for Kindle format docs converted from Word.
Yes, or else you'd be annotating real PDFs, which is ever so much simpler than editing Word documents. Of course it will be a special KFX. They've had the SW tools for that since KFX was created.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 03:36 PM   #5
DenS
Connoisseur
DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE
Unfortunately I updated and I think I lost the jailbreak. When trying to open KUAL I get an error message. When using the ";log mrpi" command to install KUAL, I get the message "hush, little baby" and then "Destroying package...ng". Kindle restarts and KUAL is not installed.

Fortunately this was a Kindle with a defective screen and I use it more for testing. My main Kindle I will not update.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-02-22-17-23-46-977~2.jpg
Views:	781
Size:	392.2 KB
ID:	199858  
DenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2023, 04:36 PM   #6
DenS
Connoisseur
DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE
The issue was resolved by placing the hotfix_1.16.N files and the KUAL installer in the mrpackages folder and using the ";log mrpi" command. Strangely, installing the files separately doesn't seem to work.
DenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 11:48 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yeah, this will break UYK [regardless of the actual issue you encountered being an outdated hotfix package, which is perfectly normal when running a hotfix built before the release of a FW version] (i.e., an initial jailbreak), but will (probably) *NOT* affect MRPI (i.e., an update, for which, I have to repeat this every single time: you don't need to do *anything* about except reboot. *twice*. Reinstalling the hotfix does nothing for you except doing the same job as the first reboot and tripping the second one by virtue of being an update. It is only actually necessary when there are code changes required (which will *now* be the case, I guess xD)).

I haven't looked into it, but I assume it works like any of the other squashfs images in there, so it's a bit of a bitch to deal with (it's a read-only fs image inside a ro fs, (with none of the tools required to build one shipped, IIRC) ;D).

The usual recommendation still apply: don't <expletive> ever update a <expletive> jailbroken Kindle, <expletive>!

Last edited by NiLuJe; 02-23-2023 at 12:00 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 06:58 PM   #8
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
The update can now be downloaded from Amazon's software update page.

Is there anything new that's not on the release notes?
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 07:25 PM   #9
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hleo12 View Post
Is there anything new that's not on the release notes?
Amazon added a MS Word document icon that is apparently not used at present. Other than that the only files modified only affect those with a jailbroken device. (Linux command line utilities were updated and security keys were relocated.) There are no changes at all to the user experience.
Old 02-25-2023, 04:19 AM   #10
boyunayim
boyunayim began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW 5 and 3
I think new firmware made it: battery drain. Last night my pw 5th gen was %22 when I turned it off and in the morning it went zero. Anyone faced same problem?
boyunayim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 01:09 PM   #11
Badcatalex
I draw.
Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1, K4B, KPW3, KOA3, KF7 (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Amazon added a MS Word document icon that is apparently not used at present.
This must be why: https://www.neowin.net/news/microsof...on-next-month/
Badcatalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 01:36 PM   #12
davedeacon
Enthusiast
davedeacon began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite Kindle 5 11th gen 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badcatalex View Post
Hopefully the next Kindle upgrade will include a virus checker.
davedeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 02:58 PM   #13
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyunayim View Post
I think new firmware made it: battery drain. Last night my pw 5th gen was %22 when I turned it off and in the morning it went zero. Anyone faced same problem?
Leave it on charger for a day or two, and it should go away. Such a big drain is usually associated with a busy Kindle doing indexing stuff.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 03:24 PM   #14
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badcatalex View Post
Simply web interface or private API to Amazon, who then has a copy (security, privacy) and then converts it to something else (azw3 or KFX).

I'd rather do my own conversion and send to Kindle via USB. I suppose the MS-Amazon agreement on this is a trade secret.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 10:39 AM   #15
stanislav2000
stanislav2000 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyunayim View Post
I have Kindle Paperwhite 3 and faced the same problem. Battery drains much much faster than with firmware 5.15.1. Yesterday I upgraded the firmware, today the battery has 20% less charge.
stanislav2000 is offline   Reply With Quote