Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-11-2023, 03:24 PM   #46
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Chef View Post
Most recently, I've been slowly picking up Dostoevsky novels whenever the Richard Pevear/Larissa Volokhonsky translations go on sale. They do good work.
I also recommend Nicolas Pasternak Slater. His translation of Crime and Punishment is good, although I haven't compared it to P&V.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 10:22 PM   #47
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
I've bought quite a few digital copies to replace much loved paper books, because I truly have no interest in reading paper books anymore. I also, in the days when I did read paper, bought copies of books that I already owned to replace ones that either fell apart because of multiple re-reads (because I always preferred the cheap, portable paperbacks over bulkier, more durable hardcovers) or were destroyed or lost for whatever reason.

I have also on occasion bought omnibus editions that contained copies of books I already owned because, as others have mentioned, it's usually cheaper to get the rest of the books that way than to buy them one by one.

On a couple of occasions I have accidentally purchased a duplicate unknowingly, usually because I shop at multiple stores and don't always check Calibre before buying.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 12:25 PM   #48
Kromaa
Kromaa makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKromaa makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKromaa makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKromaa makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKromaa makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKromaa makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKromaa makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKromaa makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKromaa makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKromaa makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKromaa makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kobo by Fnac Nia 6" 8 Go
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
I also recommend Nicolas Pasternak Slater. His translation of Crime and Punishment is good, although I haven't compared it to P&V.
I've never heard of the translation, but I've had vague glimpses of it. In fact, it relaxes me to read some passages and excerpts. I know it will make some people smile
Kromaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 10:02 PM   #49
dreambeat
Enthusiast
dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Kobos Mini & Libra 2.
I’ve done it with physical books. Not yet with ebooks, though I’m sure it’ll happen eventually.
dreambeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 07:08 AM   #50
Gormagon
monstrous mythical beast
Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tab Ultra C, Meebook P78 Pro
I once ordered a book via Amazon Marketplace that I already own. Luckily I noticed this before the seller shipped the book, so I could cancel the order just in time.
Gormagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 09:14 PM   #51
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I've had this happen before, though always with the freebies.

I see an interesting-looking book, decide to grab it, and then Calibre informs me that it's a duplicate of a book in my library. (Or, if I'd cleaned the title of "a novel of blahblah" crap, I occasionally fail to notice until later.)

Ah, the problems of purchasing eBooks from multiple websites.
I done quite a a few times. There’s been times and which Amazon will sell more than one e-book of the same story. They will be just something different like the cover or something. For example, I accidentally bought the great Gatsby twice
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 09:47 AM   #52
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
Incidentally, I just had to purchase Lolita for a second time, because the first time I grabbed it on sale, I got a malformed piece of garbage that has since disappeared from Amazon's listings. I guess Amazon is willing to take down obvious bootlegs from their store, but not refund the people who bought them, eh?

The copy that was for sale yesterday came from Vintage International, so I'm at least a bit more confident in its quality.
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 11:13 PM   #53
Rime
Rime is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle3
Yes: books that I'm going to send off to the chopshop for conversion into ebooks. These are usually older books that I've given up hoping will ever make it to ebook. As a compulsive rereader, I don't want to lose old friends and so I keep a paper copy as well as the converted copy.
Rime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 05:40 AM   #54
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I’ve done that on purpose with a science book I use frequently as a reference as the one I had was falling apart I had used it so much. Never with an ebook. I’ve clicked on books in deal for the day on amazon only to have Amazon tell me I’ve purchased it already.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 10:37 AM   #55
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
A few times. Bought it on Kobo and then again on Amazon. Now I check Calibre before buying.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 03:08 AM   #56
Roos
Groupie
Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Scribe, Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinoptic View Post
It also happpens if the publisher re-releases the book under a different title. For example Susannah Kearsley and Tania Crosse have books released under different titles. Only got caught out once though.
This indeed, many times (Grumbles) as I glance at the description and think (again) ah, nice ideas, sounds like a book I like, and after reading a chapter "Damn, fooled me again.."
Roos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 05:16 AM   #57
JBaby
Zealot
JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 11th Gen Paperwhite SE, 2021 iPad Pro 11” & iPhone 11 Pro
I’ve only bought a book twice when the book is in a bundle. Otherwise I’ve never bought a book twice because I check my spreadsheet or Calibre before I make any purchases.
JBaby is offline   Reply With Quote