Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-14-2008, 03:40 PM   #1
debscarlett
debscarlett began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Ciao 700 Club: I cancelled my order

I just want to thank everyone who contributed to this forum regarding the 700 v. 505. Even though my 700 hadn't arrived, reading this forum raised enough concerns for me to hike to the Sony store for a side-by-side. The clarity difference, IMO, was huge. As far as the lighting, I compared the lit 700 screen to a 505 with the light cover and the 505 was still superior. The touch screen on the 700 was wicked cool but the clarity was too much of an issue to ignore so today I canceled my 700 and ordered the 505 instead.

Again, Sony customer service was pretty awesome in light of my flip-flopping on this, but I'm feeling really good about this decision and I'll be rocking the 505 - at least until the 705 comes out.
debscarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 05:29 PM   #2
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
I love my 700 which came yesterday, and I have to say the clarity is about the same as with the 500 (I never upgraded to the 505) so I'm delighted with the new features. I read in bed for a half-hour last night with the light and enjoyed it. I read for a half-hour this afternoon in ambient light without the built-in light on and it was fine. As for the reflection on the screen, I had no problem holding it so I could read just fine. With the 500, I was constantly adjust the angle so the machined SONY at the top wasn't too brightly reflecting light right into my eyes.

And I love the search function and can see where a dictionary will fit right in with this device eventually.

But I can also see where some people might not like the reading experience as much as with the 505 (the finger-swipe page turn is very nice!). I wear glasses and still enjoyed my reading experience.

Different strokes for different folks.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2008, 05:35 PM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhbailey View Post
I love my 700 which came yesterday, and I have to say the clarity is about the same as with the 500 (I never upgraded to the 505) so I'm delighted with the new features. I read in bed for a half-hour last night with the light and enjoyed it. I read for a half-hour this afternoon in ambient light without the built-in light on and it was fine. As for the reflection on the screen, I had no problem holding it so I could read just fine. With the 500, I was constantly adjust the angle so the machined SONY at the top wasn't too brightly reflecting light right into my eyes.

And I love the search function and can see where a dictionary will fit right in with this device eventually.

But I can also see where some people might not like the reading experience as much as with the 505 (the finger-swipe page turn is very nice!). I wear glasses and still enjoyed my reading experience.

Different strokes for different folks.
wonderful ! glad to hear it !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 12:26 PM   #4
wallflower75
Groupie
wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/iPhone 6 Plus/iPad mini
Sounds like those who are used to the 500 will be happier with the 700 than those who have the 505. The pictures here convinced me not to upgrade now, tempting though the idea of having an integrated light and touch screen were. I'll just wait until the next Sony model comes out, and in the meantime, I've still got my old eBookwise for reading in the dark...
wallflower75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 12:44 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Just remember when looking at the pictures that they can be misleading and sometimes incorrect. I can take photos that would make a 500 look better then a 505. So unless you've seen the 700 in person, don't trust the photos.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2008, 12:39 PM   #6
tekchic
Zealot
tekchic doesn't littertekchic doesn't litter

Device: iPhone X, iPad Pro
I myself lined up my old 500, then the 505, and then the 700 at the store to play with the three. The 505 and 700 are MUCH whiter background than my old 500.

That being said, the biggest reason I even upgraded to a 505 was so I could have Adobe Digital Edition books. The 505's page turning seemed even faster than my old 500 too, although page turning has never been an issue for me. I learned to press "next page" while I was toward the bottom of the current page and reading was always seamless.

The 700 has some fun features, but in the end, all I needed was the Adobe Digital features and a prettier, whiter screen than my 500. That with the trade-in plan put me over the edge for a 505 instead of the 700. Had I never owned a 500, perhaps I'd have been swayed to go to the 700.
tekchic is offline   Reply With Quote